Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2024, 12:59   #1

Bottom painting for a newbie

Hi All,

I have been sailing for around three years on OPBs, and after around a year of looking, I have finally bought a boat. It is currently on the hard, and I have a tight window to deliver it home to Baltimore. I am planning to drive up and spend this weekend prepping things, and I am considering whether to attempt a quick bottom job while I have the chance. The paint doesn't look terrible except for a few spots where it has flaked off down to some older antifoul, or possibly to primer. It was reportedly stripped back to gelcoat at some point, and had an epoxy barrier coat. Survey didn't find any blistering. The hull-to-keel joint is visible, and could probably do with fairing, but the surveyor didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about (it's fairly tight, and the keelbolts looked good to him), and if I am going to work on the bottom, it is going to have to be a bit quick and dirty. The PO says he believes the last coat he used was Sea Hawk, but advised me to consult with locals about the best product to use.*

So, should I try to paint it in a day and a half?

Should I attempt to fill the flaking areas with something? If so, with what? I assume some sort of epoxy fairing compound? How far would I have to sand back before application?

How much, if at all, should I sand the rest of the bottom? What grit, and is dry sanding ok, or does it need to be wet sanding?

If you happen to be in the middle Chesapeake, what antifoul do you use? Would there be any compatibility issues?

How many gallons should I buy (the boat is 30' at the waterline, with 11.5' beam)?

I'm not sure whether I am overthinking things, or underthinking them, but I
would appreciate any answers to these questions, or other thoughts on the matter. Thanks from an overwhelmed newbie.*
MacSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 13:05   #2

Re: Bottom painting for a newbie

Here's a picture hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1500.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	291098  
MacSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 13:43   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Your biggest concern is if the current paint is a hard paint or not. If it is, it will have been rendered inert by it's extended exposure to air.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 13:51   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I have done many quick and dirty paint jobs and my bottom is not the best looking around, but seems to work just as well as anyone else's. I often just scrape off any barnacles and loose paint and then slap on a coat of new paint, being sure to double coat the waterline down a foot or two and the rudder. Using traditional paints, not water based, that works pretty well, especially with ablative paint. Not need to sand that stuff down--you want to build up layers of ablative. I can do the bottom on my 38-footer in one day. Scrape in the morning, then about 4 hours to paint both sides using a roller. I usually do the transducers and put the zincs on the next day, and then do the spots underneath the jackstands. I think one gallon should give you one coat of most paints.
Old 18-06-2024, 17:12   #5

Boat: 1983 Pearson 34

I am on the same plane a Kettlewell. Sand around the flaky areas with 80 grit to get a smoother edge. Use a coat of compatible paint. (If unknown, use a coat of primer). You can start with primer, as you go around the hull you will be almost ready for the first coat of paint. After that coat, a second quick coat around the waterline. Easy over a day and one half. Buy 2 gallons. Left over can be saved with a piece of saran wrap on the surface of the paint before you seal it well. You will use it in a year when you bottom paint again.
Good luck
JeffDPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 17:20   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDPT View Post
You can start with primer, as you go around the hull you will be almost ready for the first coat of paint. After that coat, a second quick coat around the waterline. Easy over a day and one half. Buy 2 gallons. Left over can be saved with a piece of saran wrap on the surface of the paint before you seal it well. You will use it in a year when you bottom paint again.
You're doing it wrong. The reason you need to haul for paint annually is because you only apply one coat of paint.
Old 18-06-2024, 18:35   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The reason you need to haul for paint annually is because you only apply one coat of paint.
Haulout for the winter here in New England anyway.
Old 18-06-2024, 18:55   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Haulout for the winter here in New England anyway.
That doesn't explain why JeffDPT hauls annually, if that is in fact the case. Or maybe he was presuming that you do.
Old 18-06-2024, 19:20   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bottom painting for a newbie

I think he was refering to a quick fix for the delivery good enough to last till he gets it home and also last till he hauls out for a proper job.. Tight window being the operative phrase.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 19:49   #10

First, check with the boatyard as to whether owners are allowed to do work below the waterline. Most do not.

I frankly would just slap a bit of ablative paint on the bare spots and call it “good enough” until fall. You don’t have time to do a proper job now so it’s mostly a waste of money and time. Not sanding the edges of the bare spots will have no effect on speed. Or leave them bare. Any growth that appears on these few spots will be easily removed by the diver during a regular cleaning.

With limited time before departure I would focus on other things that could cause problems on the journey. Lay in a good supply of fuel filters (at least 6) in case the tank has algae. Change the raw water impeller. Change the engine oil and transmission oil. Put new anodes on the shaft and propeller (unless they are obviously new). Clean and shock the water tank and water system.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 21:36   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Once in Baltimore will you be hauling her out? If so I'd leave it till you get there. I'm doing my bottom paint now. I vote for waiting till you can get her out and do it right.

That said, there's nothing wrong with slapping some bottom paint on those bare spots.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 05:27   #12

Boat: 1983 Pearson 34

fsttbttms is right. I don't haul every year here in FL. And it is not the right way to prep the bottom. I was following the new owner's need for a quick and "good enough" job to get him back to Chesapeake and sail the rest of the season. He will probably haul for the winter like I did when I was in NY and do a better prep.
JeffDPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 15:24   #13

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Congratulations on your boat, the dimensions of said vessel would help so we could estimate time needed to paint. I paint my hull with hard paint as I like to dive/ clean it every 3 weeks at the hight of the season. I had a 30 ft vessel it would take 1 hr to roll on ablative Pettit, I now have a 37 ft waterline with a 12 ft beam that would take 4 hrs (x2) to roll (and stir) with Pettit Trinidad pro.

I would definitely paint the bottom if you do not plan on hauling it till the fall. My understanding of the Chesapeake is that it is a barnacle rich environment and even with the best paint you will still see growth.

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 07:39   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Fast and sloppy is OK. You can’t see it and the fish don’t care.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 08:38   #15

If the boat has been pressurizer washed and the surface looks clean you should be good to go to paint.
- If the yard allows you could wet sand lightly too.
-scrape off any flaking paint.
-you could wipe down with a thinner too.
-Mask.
- Rolling the paint on takes about a hour. You will have to cut in some spots with a brush. 1 gallon should d it though you might buy 2 just to have 1 on hand in case you run out.
- Figure out what you paint you have on there. Hard paint can only go over hard paint. Ablative can go over ablative or hard paint.
-
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, newbie, paint