Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 19:30   #1

Boat: Maxim, Voyage 380
Bottom Paint over Bottom Paint

I am not sure what brand of bottom paint is currently on my boat. All I know is it was stated that it has an "epoxy based osmosis barrier".

Currently bottom paint is in good shape, But, what do you do when you're not sure what brand or type of paint was used when it's time to Repaint?
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 20:01   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Bottom Paint over Bottom Paint

I suspect this is a common dilemma.

I think the important consideration is whether it's hard paint or ablative. Can't put hard over ablative. Can put ablative over hard.

Also "epoxy based osmosis barrier" sounds like an epoxy barrier coat. This goes on the bare hull, before anti foul bottom paint. Assuming you're looking at a can of leftovers, are you sure this is anti foul paint?

Others may have more to add.
Old 12-02-2016, 20:02   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Epoxy based paint should work over a previous epoxy coat.
Epoxy over tin based paint is bad.
Been there, done that.
Got somethings called mud-cracking on previous boat: The new paint cracked all over and the Petit rep came around to evaluate the damage.
Turned out previous owner got tin paint in the Bahamas. Illegal in the US due to environmental concerns.
The yard and Petit split the cost to fix it but good lesson: Do homework before bottom painting. (I had no idea, bought the boat a few months earlier, told the yard I wanted the same blue bottom paint)
Old 13-02-2016, 13:05   #4

Boat: Maxim, Voyage 380

Yes, there is Antifouling paint over epoxy based osmosis barrier and it does appear to be a hard paint.

Since I'm not sure the brand that was used, what would the procedure be to add another coat? (are most hard paints capable). All I know it was done in the states and it is black hard paint..

I will being doing a haul out soon (which is a pain since it's a wide cat) and since it will be out of the for a few weeks I would like to add paint to prolong another haul out and I know that the bottom was painted a few years ago.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint