Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2024, 15:13   #1

Bottom Paint or Wait

We have always bottom painted every other year, so have never addressed this issue before.

We just purchased a boat that was Filthy (yes, with a capital "F"). At the survey haulout, there were football-sized clusters of mussels. She was scraped and pressure washed, and the hull was in Fantastic shape - a really well-made hull.

But, there was almost no sign of bottom paint, other than a few faint wisps.

That was about a month ago, and she has been docked since then. In about a week, we will sail her home. (She is about 120 nm south of us.) And, we expect she will sail about every other day, throughout the summer (in the San Juans and Gulf Islands).

I was planning to just haul out and bottom paint in a couple of weeks, but then it occurs to me that it might not really matter if she is going to be on the go, this summer. Maybe we just wait until fall? Add to this the fact that she has only about a 3.5 foot draft, so can be scrubbed regularly.

Over fall/winter, she will be sailed less frequently.

Thoughts? Any real benefit of painting this spring?
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 15:21   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Bottom Paint or Wait

I think it must be dependent on where you keep the boat. If you tried that in southern New England your boat would be nearly immoveable in a few weeks. Even with fresh paint on in the spring I often scrape my prop and upper parts of the hull starting in August and until the water gets too cold. And, then when I haul out in late October the hull is covered with barnacles anyway. So is every other boat in the yard. Especially those using non-copper paints!
Old 17-06-2024, 16:48   #3

They are all non-copper paints in WA state (or at least they are supposed to be).

The only boat I have for reference to how quickly things get fouled is our old boat which was overdue for bottom paint. When we pulled her out a few days ago, she had been four years since her last paint. The remaining paint was less than 50% opaque - meaning the red paint was less than 50% visible over the top of the underlying black paint. (We alternate each time between red and black so we can more easily see what's going on.)

So, even though our most recent paint was mostly worn off, the underlying paint from our previous coats was still intact. So, this makes it hard to say what would happen with no paint at all.

However, there was a small patch under the keel where she would have rested on a block while being painted, only receiving one coat of paint while hanging in the sling on her way back in. That little patch (less than a foot long and a few inches wide) had some mussels dangling from it. The rest of the hull had a thin layer of slime, but no hard growth or beard.

But, the new boat has no effective bottom paint that I can detect. So, it isn't a good comparison.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 10:34   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foswick View Post
They are all non-copper paints in WA state (or at least they are supposed to be).
Well, that is simply not the case. Copper-based anti fouling paints are legal for sale and application in Washington until at least 2026.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 10:51   #5

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quick scrub in Me.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bhmTjdgNviM

Tags
bottom paint, paint