Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2010, 07:58   #16

Boat: Conser 47 Shearwater
Yes to all for sure. It would be good to get some data on that. I have never hesitated to throw a line over board and then jump in and drag through the water.....but always incurring the admonition..."you are simply sharkbait, doing that" and of course never thousands of miles off shore.

thanks for the reply.
dpollitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 09:02   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpollitt View Post
When I get to Australia Im going to have to paint it anyway and to doing it twice, once here and once there, is difficult to bear.
Why, if you painted the boat before you left, would you have to paint again once reaching Australia?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 06:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Quote here:
It is anticipated
to be followed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apest.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	12790   Click image for larger version

Name:	aqpest.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	12791  

chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 07:24   #19
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I've painted magic several times standing on her keel on a sandbar at low tide. I have blue ablative(jotun) over red trinidad hard paint. When I've got substantial red showing, I brush her good then slap on another coat of ablative. Cuts haulouts down to shaft service and similiar and saves quite a bit of money, usually only costs 200 or so to recoat
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 09:51   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post

I remember reading Thor Heyerdahl in Kon Tiki where they had to periodically deal with the sharks swimming around their raft out in the Pacific.

Well, that was many years ago that he crossed the oceans. Now you will meet a lot of mammals but very few sharks in the open waters. And only few species are known to be potentially dangerous, and these few only in specific situations.

I am, too, scared of swimming mid-ocean. But have never ever heard of any case of a shark going for a cruiser swimming mid-ocean. The only time when I heard of a shark attack was when a girl went swimming in Vanuatu (?) in a place clearly designated 'beware of sharks' - that was apparently where the local fishers would clean their catch. (I cannot recall the story very well, but sure other members may have more and more accurate data).

I have also swum with sharks - blacktips, whitetips and hammers, and did not get attacked.

So, I would guess, it is OK to swim mid-ocean.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 21:24   #21

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro
The original question...to paint or not ot paint. I clean hulls for a living in the PNW and see interesting growth. My sailboat is 37' and resides on a mooring buoy with good currents and water flush. I put the cheapest West marine antifouling on and it was a mistake. thought as a diver I could easily keep my boat clean for a couple years with the cheap stuff. Oops! The painted last only one year before I started growing barnicle buds on the paint After 1.5 years I was scraping the barnicles off in clusters and I had to clean the boat everytime I wanted a good sail. I dont know how much will grow while cruising but I do know that unprotected hulls will start growing stuff in one day, you just cant see it yet. Once the spore has taken root on your hull it WILL grow. If you stop for 1 week at an island then you will have a visible slime over the entire hull. In my humble opinion, from experience, the cheapest, quickest, ugliest, single coat antifouling job will be much appreciated later unless your curent pain is not that bad.
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 22:13   #22

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
This stuff about antifouling regulations and cleaning requirements for OS boats in Australia is new to me. But it doesn't surprise me.
I think if you don't mind a cool swim you can almost keep on top of things in colder climates by scrubbing the bottom. But once you get into the tropics those barnacles grow in front of your eyes. Where my boat is moored I'd have to get over the side every week and scrape the prop, if I want to get any traction motoring out of the harbour.
I want someone to invent a little pre programmed robot vacuum cleaner that attaches itself to the hull and continuously cleans it.

Jim
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:55   #23

Marine growth starts on the film/slime (algae) that adheres to a hull and forms a barrier between the toxic anti fouling paint. No slime - No growth, unless the paint has aged to a point where there is no toxicity left.
capdiy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint