Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2019, 14:17   #61

Boat: 1974 Miller 28, hull #10
Re: Bottom Paint in Washington State-Help!

Come on now, it's fun to joke around but this really isn't hard to understand. It's illegal for anyone in my state to alter our water's properties in any way that harms the ecology or industries that rely on it. It's not just bleeding heart liberals who care so much about all the pretty wildlife, but the economy that depends on our water quality. TBT nearly collapsing the shellfish industry in France is a perfect example of what can happen when toxic substances are not appropriately regulated (luckily for them they corrected it just in time by banning the use of TBT on the swarm of recreational vessels hovering over their seed oysters).

Likewise, dumping millions gallons of (very clean!) boiling water into a lake and raising the temperature by 10° killing everything in it is very illegal. But boating in that lake and thus raising the temperature by 0.0000000000000001° or something like that through friction is obviously not illegal since that has no measurable effect on wildlife or industries dependent on it. Exhaust temperature from your outboard would be a better argument but even that is negligible in the scale of things.

Oh I just thought of a good one, I guess we can't pee overboard anymore because it would raise the acidity! eh?

wrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 14:26   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrena View Post
Come on now, it's fun to joke around but this really isn't hard to understand. It's illegal for anyone in my state to alter our water's properties in any way that harms the ecology or industries that rely on it. It's not just bleeding heart liberals who care so much about all the pretty wildlife, but the economy that depends on our water quality. TBT nearly collapsing the shellfish industry in France is a perfect example of what can happen when toxic substances are not appropriately regulated (luckily for them they corrected it just in time by banning the use of TBT on the swarm of recreational vessels hovering over their seed oysters).

Likewise, dumping millions gallons of (very clean!) boiling water into a lake and raising the temperature by 10° killing everything in it is very illegal. But boating in that lake and thus raising the temperature by 0.0000000000000001° or something like that through friction is obviously not illegal since that has no measurable effect on wildlife or industries dependent on it. Exhaust temperature from your outboard would be a better argument but even that is negligible in the scale of things.

Oh I just thought of a good one, I guess we can't pee overboard anymore because it would raise the acidity! eh?

actually peeing over the side is not illegal even in no discharge zones.

Side note ; if your urine is more than a 6ph acidic it is likely that you have issues with your kidneys such as production of stones. It is also an indicator that you May have or are at risk of diabetes.
Old 15-11-2019, 14:30   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wrena. As a note I had Trinidad Sr on my Spencer s42 . 5 years in and it was still going strong when I sold it to Nick. Just make sure you are not putting any hard hull paints over ablative paints .
Old 15-11-2019, 15:05   #64

Thanks! Yeah I'll be stripping the bottom to the gelcoat as it appears the last bottom job (or two) was done without sanding at all, or at the very least not enough care... very rough surface and gouges clearly covered with ablative coating on top. There are some blisters but surprisingly nothing terrible (yet).
wrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 15:19   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrena View Post
Thanks! Yeah I'll be stripping the bottom to the gelcoat as it appears the last bottom job (or two) was done without sanding at all, or at the very least not enough care... very rough surface and gouges clearly covered with ablative coating on top. There are some blisters but surprisingly nothing terrible (yet).
if your taking it all the way to the gel coat its a good time to look at applying a barrier coat.
where are you hauled at?
Old 15-11-2019, 16:38   #66

sent you a DM. Yeah I'm definitely going for a barrier coat after having the keel joint crack properly inspected/repaired, and redoing the skeg as well (bunch of water came out from under the paint around the skeg on haulout). That early 70s (guessing hand-laid) hull is still waterproof though.

Trinidad SR seems to be the name in hard bottom paint, but for comparison does anyone have experience using any foul-release coatings? I'm curious how well they perform in the real world and how easy/difficult it is to clean...

Tags
bottom paint, paint, washing, Washington