Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 08:53   #31
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Bottom paint for Caribbean waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
So you kind of made my point, 95 (out of 195 currently) countries have banned TBT paint? The others have not.
The IMO ban (actually a treaty) on the use of TbT-based anti fouling paints is worldwide. The fact that some nations like Bhutan or Haiti or Rwanda (obviously not big players in the global shipping industry) have chosen not to be signatories to that treaty, doesn't make it less so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
The study I was referring to was concerning areas where toxic bottom paints were the most concentrated, marinas. What they found was that the leaching tin fell straight down to the bottom and stayed there, where the leaching copper remained in the water column and contaminated large areas. That’s why we’re seeing high percent copper paints being banned.
This statement is largely incorrect. Not only are we not "seeing high percent copper paints being banned" but I'm quite sure that your mythological "study" doesn't exist. Certainly I am unaware of any study (and I have had my finger on the pulse of this issue for 25 years) in which the effects of copper and tin-based paints in marinas were compared side-by-side.

What is true is that high-copper paints (50-60% or more cuprous oxide by weight) can be found in any chandlery in this country. I'd love for you to show me where these paints are banned.

Regarding tin vs. copper- Even though TbT-based anti fouling paints have not been used (for the most part) in decades, their deleterious effect is still being measured today. Copper however, does not remain the water column nor does it contaminate wide areas. When copper leaches out out of an anti fouling paint, there is a temporary spike in the copper level in the water surrounding the boat in question. That spike is measured in hours. The copper then falls out of suspension. There are no plumes of copper emanating from marinas. Yes, because pleasure craft congregate in marinas, they are sources of copper loading. Yes, it is a poison and that's why we use it, because it is relatively effective at retarding fouling growth. Yes, it affects organisms that were never attached to a boat hull. But the reason we use it and not tin is because it is less harmful than tin. Just as we now see zinc-based paints on the chandlery shelves, because zinc is less harmful (and therefore, less effective) than copper.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 09:55   #32

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The IMO ban (actually a treaty) on the use of TbT-based anti fouling paints is worldwide. The fact that some nations like Bhutan or Haiti or Rwanda (obviously not big players in the global shipping industry) have chosen not to be signatories to that treaty, doesn't make it less so.

This statement is largely incorrect. Not only are we not "seeing high percent copper paints being banned" but I'm quite sure that your mythological "study" doesn't exist. Certainly I am unaware of any study (and I have had my finger on the pulse of this issue for 25 years) in which the effects of copper and tin-based paints in marinas were compared side-by-side.

What is true is that high-copper paints (50-60% or more cuprous oxide by weight) can be found in any chandlery in this country. I'd love for you to show me where these paints are banned.

Regarding tin vs. copper- Even though TbT-based anti fouling paints have not been used (for the most part) in decades, their deleterious effect is still being measured today. Copper however, does not remain the water column nor does it contaminate wide areas. When copper leaches out out of an anti fouling paint, there is a temporary spike in the copper level in the water surrounding the boat in question. That spike is measured in hours. The copper then falls out of suspension. There are no plumes of copper emanating from marinas. Yes, because pleasure craft congregate in marinas, they are sources of copper loading. Yes, it is a poison and that's why we use it, because it is relatively effective at retarding fouling growth. Yes, it affects organisms that were never attached to a boat hull. But the reason we use it and not tin is because it is less harmful than tin. Just as we now see zinc-based paints on the chandlery shelves, because zinc is less harmful (and therefore, less effective) than copper.
Very well put. Copper based poisons are bad enough and we would not use them if we had realistic alternatives. Hopefully they will come. Perhaps in the future small affordable robotic brushes like those used in swimming pools will become available and we will all have one. In the meantime I would have thought that those of us that enjoy the water environment would all be environmentally conscientious and therefore would not use tin based af or would not add tri butyl tin to our paints. Sadly that does not appear to be the case.

Jim sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 11:39   #33

Boat: Catalina 42

I was not advocating the use of TBT. Only responding to the questions asked. Sorry if my response was taken wrong.
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 19:20   #34

Talk to Driftwood in Grenada based at Clarke's Court Marina, did some great work on my boat and can recommend best antifouling for your boat depending on useage.
Roshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 04:58   #35

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Thank you. I'll reach out to them.
geekoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 06:48   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

We used many kinds.

I think Chugoku (CMP) was best and 66 was very close next, perhaps as good as Chugoku.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 07:14   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

From the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas with 4 months in Ga..finally hauled out..the lift operator/bottom sprayer asked what I used for bottom paint as it was barnacle free.. I said Pettit Trinidad SLR...
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 13:01   #38

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We used many kinds.

I think Chugoku (CMP) was best and 66 was very close next, perhaps as good as Chugoku.

barnakiel
Isn't that just SeaJet? The 2 component and mono component 039 are the only ones I've seen around and that was in Budget marine. I've not seen it in any other marine or fisheries store.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 13:09   #39

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Isn't that just SeaJet? The 2 component and mono component 039 are the only ones I've seen around and that was in Budget marine. I've not seen it in any other marine or fisheries store.

Ask SeaJet.

Both Chugoku and CMP are plainly googable.

We used their commercial grade (for cargo ships etc.) - milky pink, very bland. Magick. Very good stuff.

https://www.cmp-chugoku.com/global/R...AF-Report.html

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 13:38   #40

Boat: csy 37

pettit trinidad. and if you just sail in the bahamas it seems to last forever.
but when you do repaint try to remove as much of the old pait as you can.
it's heavy stuff.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 07:17   #41

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We are on year one of Petit Trinidad SR, used since the boat was new. It was applied by a well known contractor at Puerto del Ray, PR. Our mooring is in a high nutrient area of St. John VI. We have no hard growth or slime, but we have red algae on all the underwater surfaces. I clean the bottom once a month. We head to Grenada soon and I am hoping for better performance there.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 07:51   #42

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Safe travels to Grenada! See you here.
geekoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 07:58   #43
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
We are on year one of Petit Trinidad SR, used since the boat was new. We have no hard growth or slime, but we have red algae on all the underwater surfaces. I clean the bottom once a month. We head to Grenada soon and I am hoping for better performance there.
Sounds like you're getting pretty good performance now. Not sure what it is you're expecting.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 08:10   #44

Quote:
It's also illegal to sell or use in most of the world and its biocide is one of the worst poisons ever introduced into the marine environment.
Hence the reason it works the best.
windcastle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 08:32   #45

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Quote:
Sounds like you're getting pretty good performance now. Not sure what it is you're expecting.
Maybe my expectations are too high. I'd like to go longer between cleanings.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, Caribbean, paint, rib, water