Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 08:06   #46

Boat: CAL 35 III
Send a message via Skype™ to ejjawhite
Re: Bottom paint for Caribbean waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
You state, "we are more concerned with effectiveness, robustness, and longevity. " Unfortunately there is no such animal today thanks' to the EPA and other international environmental agencies.

You also said coast is no object. That's good because bottom paint is two or three times more expensive that what met your objectives back in the day when products mostly worked the way they were advertised.

Robert mentioned Pettit Trinidad which I have used in Hawaii since 1970 when it was 77% copper and weighed 20 pounds per gallon. Nothing grew on it for the first year, maybe a little moss by the end of the second year and still serviceable with a little scribing after the third year. No more. Today's 57% copper Trinidad is no better than any of the others.

I've given up on bottom paint. Having the bottom cleaned every month, or even every two weeks, is cheaper and more effective than hauling our every two years.
I always add very finely ground copper powder to my paint, then do a little burnishing. Lately I’ve been using Sea Hawk Monterey with good results, but I’m in Massachusetts.
ejjawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 08:08   #47
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejjawhite View Post
I always add very finely ground copper powder to my paint...
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 09:59   #48

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post

Robert mentioned Pettit Trinidad which I have used in Hawaii since 1970 when it was 77% copper and weighed 20 pounds per gallon. Nothing grew on it for the first year, maybe a little moss by the end of the second year and still serviceable with a little scribing after the third year. No more. Today's 57% copper Trinidad is no better than any of the others.
Trinidad have a 75% cuprous oxide paint readily available.

Personally i've gone for SeaJet Platinum 039. Hopefully 4 coats should do the trick.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 14:12   #49

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

SeaHawk tin paint did not work at all well for us. We had to scrape tiny barnacles off every week after one month afloat.
Applied in a Grenada yard.

BTW, while widespread use of tin, particularly in constricted waters is undesirable, it is FAR from the "worst toxin released"

We have had about 10 different tin free paints on Milvina in 16 years sailing 5-8 months every year from the Arctic to the Caribbean

We have had by far the best results with Chugoku Marine Paints Ltd. SeaJet 038 It is readily available in the Dutch Islands, and some others, and is supposed to be licensed soon in the US
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 00:26   #50

Boat: Leopard 40

We've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean. I'll second the Pettit Trinidad paint.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 08:30   #51

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
I/We live in south Florida. The water is 72F in the winter and 80+ F in the Summer. We use Petit Trinidad SR on our mono. We still have to bottom clean regularly to keep the barnacles away.
I do too, and used the same paint. Waters being different in the same state, I really don't have that much of a problem. The barnacles I do get come off with a brush. Slime? That disappears after a good sail outside in 3 or 4 foot seas.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 03:34   #52

Boat: Freedom 38

We’ve had similar results with Biocop TF in SW Florida (Charlotte Harbor), Keys and Bahamas. As hybrid (hard ablative) it will last longer than straight ablative. Effectiveness definitely a function of how much you move. As mentioned, cleaning is required if sitting - but can be accomplished with an old T shirt if done every 7 to 10 days or with soft brush if done monthly. We get 3 years out of a coat but gets noticeably less effective by end of 3rd year. We’ve been very happy with it & will continue to use it. The company also has a very knowledgeable tech support guy - Brad Kleinfaster.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 07:42   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
The company also has a very knowledgeable tech support guy...
The company is run by a band of criminals and shysters...

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus...0prison%20time.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 08:11   #54
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Did anyone try the anti fouling paints from TotalBoat?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 14:04   #55

Boat: O'Day 26

You cannot go wrong with Pettit Trinidad HD, a hard multi-season bottom paint. However, I do not recall if you presently have a hard or ablative bottom paint on hull. If hard antifouling paint is currently on boat you can apply Trinidad, but not if current antifouling paint is ablative. If ablative is presently on boat, you would want to sand extensively to remove most of the existing paint prior to applying a hard antifouling paint. Yes, Pettit Trinidad is definitely expensive, but worth the price. If you are going to pay to have the work done or, even more importantly, if you are going to do the work yourself, it is worth paying for a quality paint.
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, Caribbean, paint, rib, water