Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2017, 12:25   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Bottom paint flaking off

I had my boat hauled and the bottom painted back in Jan-Feb. The boat was put back in the water in May. Today I had a diver replace the zinc on the propeller and he noticed a hand-size patch of bottom paint that flaked off the hull.

She's only been in the water for 5 months and only away from the slip twice and never ran into anything. Is this something that the yard should repair?

If not the yard, what are my options for dealing with this?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 12:32   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Bottom paint flaking off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I had my boat hauled and the bottom painted back in Jan-Feb. The boat was put back in the water in May. Today I had a diver replace the zinc on the propeller and he noticed a hand-size patch of bottom paint that flaked off the hull.

She's only been in the water for 5 months and only away from the slip twice and never ran into anything. Is this something that the yard should repair?

The yard may have goofed & mixed paints in a manner which is incompatible. Such as applying a hard paint overtop of an ablative. It's worth finding out what's on there in terms of paints, & if the yard goofed, take it up with them. As you're paint shouldn't be coming off by any means, this quickly. They also may not have prepped the bottom sufficently for the new paint to adhere well, meaning not sanding the bottom sufficiently for the paint to have something to grip onto. Which some paints need more roughed up surfaces for good adhesion than do others.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 14:16   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:

Before you blame the yard too much be sure the underlying layers were not coming off too. We had an older boat that we were fortunate enough to change the color on the bottom. The problem wasn’t the paint we applied coming off it was several of the previous layers separating. You could see the old paint color on both sides of the chip that fell off. We ended up getting the bottom stripped and repainted because no amount of sanding and prepping worked unless you actually got down to barrier coat.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 15:07   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Yeah there is not enough information to know why it came off and who is responsible.

What kind/brand of paint was on the boat previously? What was the condition of the old paint? How was the bottom prepped for the new paint? What new paint was applied?

If a hand-sized piece "flaked" off, I suspect that one of the older layers flaked off and took the new paint with it. But that's just a hypothesis in the absence of more information. If the old paint was rough and "alligatored" with previous flaking and was not taken down/prepped adequately, then it's not surprising that a big chunk came off, and more will likely come off over time.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:41   #5

Boat: Tashiba-31

Here is a picture of the affected area. It is less than palm size in area. The old bottom was ablative as is the new one. I'm asking the yard what they used.

Putting aside any blame for now, what do I need to do about this? Do I have to haul out immediately or is this something that would wait for the next haul-out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom Flake.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	158652  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:51   #6

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

how many layers? I try and keep no more than 2-3 on the boat at any time. I repaint (alblative) when the barrier coat starts to come through, then put one coat on. Usually lasts 2 seasons per coat here in the Boston area.

The issue is either in poor prep by the boat yard, incompatible paints, or too many layers on the hull

Not an emergency. deal with it when it comes out of the water.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:45   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Here is a picture of the affected area. It is less than palm size in area. The old bottom was ablative as is the new one. I'm asking the yard what they used.

Putting aside any blame for now, what do I need to do about this? Do I have to haul out immediately or is this something that would wait for the next haul-out?
To me that looks like failure of the underlying paint layer, but it's hard to tell. You can see a deeper chunk came out too, and the cracking along the top edge at one point looks like the same deal. But you won't really know until you haul out next and can get a closer/better look at what's going on.

As for what do do, it's fine until the next haul out. Not going to damage the boat. At most you'll have more bottom growth growing there. That said, I'd be prepared for more paint loss to occur over time.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint