Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 17:01   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Bottom paint and zinc anodes

I used VC17 over primer on a new hull for sailing in in the great lakes.It wore very well for the first year of sailing except around several zinc anodes where the finish self destructed.(Photo attached). I am trying to find magnesium anodes for replacements, but in the meantime I need to find a finish to use in these areas that won't react with the zinc and is not incompatable with the VC17. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801 2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	180239  
Brickbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 17:30   #2

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Bottom paint and zinc anodes

Does your boat have a metal hull? I don’t understand why an anode would be located on the hull so far away from metals..... assuming the hull is fiberglass.

IF FIBERGLASS, my guess is that there should NOT be an anode there but instead a sintered copper ground plate to protect the boat from lightening.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 18:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Does your boat have a metal hull? I don’t understand why an anode would be located on the hull so far away from metals..... assuming the hull is fiberglass.

IF FIBERGLASS, my guess is that there should NOT be an anode there but instead a sintered copper ground plate to protect the boat from lightening.
Completely agree, ... You have "several zinc anodes" why ? .... and what on earth is that anode in the photo bonded to ?

Hanse did not build it that way.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:25   #4

Thw hull is fiberglass. Why the anodes are there is a question I can't answer. I presumed they were part of a grounding system. I have to find what the connections are inside the boat the next tie I get to the boat.
Hanse did build it that way and recommended the anodes be replaced with aluminum or magnesium for fresh water.
Thaanks for your responses.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickbat View Post
Thw hull is fiberglass. Why the anodes are there is a question I can't answer. I presumed they were part of a grounding system. I have to find what the connections are inside the boat the next tie I get to the boat.
Hanse did build it that way and recommended the anodes be replaced with aluminum or magnesium for fresh water.
Thaanks for your responses.
I live about 2 miles from the local Hanse dealer and work around those boats about 3 days per week. I've surveyed quite a few and never seen an anode like that or in that position on a Hanse. You say "several" anodes. How many and where are they ?

PS. Yes, magnesium or aluminum for fresh water.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:57   #6

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I live about 2 miles from the local Hanse dealer and work around those boats about 3 days per week. I've surveyed quite a few and never seen an anode like that or in that position on a Hanse. You say "several" anodes. How many and where are they ?

PS. Yes, magnesium or aluminum for fresh water.

The location shown for his attached anode is where I could expect to see a dynaplate which would be electrically connected inside to the boat's bonding system. Could be that someone who didn't understand the function of a bonding plate, thought it was an anode replaced it with an anode.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:02   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
The location shown for his attached anode is where I could expect to see a dynaplate which would be electrically connected inside to the boat's bonding system. Could be that someone who didn't understand the function of a bonding plate, thought it was an anode replaced it with an anode.
I wouldn't be surprised. but as a Certified Marine Corrosion Analyst I am really curious about the other "several" anodes.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:10   #8

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Reminds me of a Frigoboat keel cooler with zinc anodes - except the zinc anodes have been depleted. They should be filling those two mostly empty circles. But the keel cooler plate in this picture seems deeper than that. Could it be something along those lines?
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:58   #9

Your dealer sent someone down to look at this boat a few months ago as it is an updated model of the 345 and there aren't others around. Guess I should have waited for them to perfect it.
There are two of these anodes (as defined in the manual) and the boat was delivered that way. I have yet to open up the interior and find what they are connected to.
Old 08-11-2018, 13:19   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickbat View Post
Your dealer sent someone down to look at this boat a few months ago as it is an updated model of the 345 and there aren't others around. Guess I should have waited for them to perfect it.
There are two of these anodes (as defined in the manual) and the boat was delivered that way. I have yet to open up the interior and find what they are connected to.
Why on earth would any dealer deliver a new boat with "zinc" anodes to the Great Lakes ?
Old 08-11-2018, 14:27   #11

"Why on earth would any dealer deliver a new boat with "zinc" anodes to the Great Lakes ?"

That question is one that really is bugging me lately along with several others of the same ilk.

Tags
anodes, bottom paint, paint