Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2009, 01:57   #16
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
After reading Pascoe's articles at marinesurvey.com on blistering and examining ground out areas I've decided that the skinout layer and structural glass are delaminating. That's why I'm going with new epoxy layup. I plan on removing skinout down to roving. Yes I'm a glutton for punishment and I plan on spending a few thousand on materials. Replacing the skinout (which seems excessively thick) with epoxy layup will add strength to the hull. Ps marinesurvey has excellent articles on the boating world.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 02:41   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Antifouling primer...

I'd suggest checking what sticks to whatever you use.

Some epoxys cure to a very hard shiny finish to which few paints will stick. Adding a layer of epoxy primer while the barrier coat is still curing (cheesy?) might be indicated.

For instance: Some antifoulings may not stick to some epoxy barrier coats. So you might need an antifouling primer (I used International Interprotect).
You would also need to check that the antifouling primer will stick to the barrier coat. Might even need a primer between the epoxy and the antifouling primer.

Best to check with the paint manufacturers...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 03:47   #18

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
Thank you for the suggestion guy's, but I don't have "any" blistering and this boat hasn't touched water since 1995, so I figure at worst it's damp . As far as the gelcoat, I'm not an expert, but it is pretty intact, it isn't peeling or anything, it's just got some crazing and pitting in isolated areas. I'm only applying resin with low density filler to those areas and the will apply three coats of Interlux Interprotect 2000e. As far as compatibility between barrier coat(Interprotect) and bottom paint(Interlux Micron Extra), they are made by the same company, I would hope there wasn't an incompatibility.

Jeff

"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 05:35   #19

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
You dont have to hope: The Interlux technical service helpline 800-468-7589. Call 'em with any questions. Good people. Jeff, your planned method is perfect. Chip off any loose gelcoat and apply your epoxy / filler mix. fair the bottom and use the Interprotect. Xtra is good paint. Splash and go sailing. If it turns out that a year or two from now the bottom is still shedding gelcoat, THEN buy a peeler or hire a peeler guy for a day and do the whole works. If your Atomic gives you REAL problems, I think the Triton will support an outboard. Beg or borough one, mount it and get moving. Dont get stuck up there.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 15:29   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
About compatibility between anti-fouling paint and the barrier coat: you can paint the hull with hard Trinidad before the barrier coat is fully cured, i.e., when it is still sticky. Now you have a good surface for either hard Trinidad or ablative paints (anything compatible with the Trinidad).

On gel coat peelers: I was referring to the robotized types that do the whole side by themselves after some setup. There must be plenty yards that have these.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote