Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 06:51   #46
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boom gallows - yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
I wonder what the forces would be like IF you attempted to use a gallows to stop a heavy weather unintentional gybe. That could cause some serious damage!
As I see it,

The Boom Gallows requires the Boom (with mainsail raised) to be at a height to always clear the Boom Gallows.

If the mainsail is lowered (e.g. While stowing or tying up the mainsail) and then the boom is allowed to rest in the gallows, then it is serving its primary purpose (as a secure resting place for the boom). I think this has value.

If the boom were to swing in a gybe (with mainsail up) and IF it did hit the boom gallows, I suspect that would mean:

1. The boom height was not high enough

And, assuming the boom gallows is higher than the head height of a helmsman...

2. The boom will strike the gallows first before hitting the helmsman and possiblly other crew in the cockpit, and that strike (BANG!) on the boom gallows may warn the crew to DUCK or lower their head/body in time to prevent personal injury by the swinging boom, assuming they DUCK in time.

3. A gybing boom in heavy weather would be a danger in any case (boom gallows or not).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 07:08   #47

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Not only would the damage be severe, can you imagine the energy imparted into the materials of the construction, then the point loads transferred to the hull, based upon how the structure was connected? It would not be wise, in my uninformed but physics comprehending mind to arrange this device such that it can be engaged by the boom on such a swing at all, and mine will only be tall enough to allow standing room under the existing boom height, and the boom will only be able to touch it if the topping lift fails or the sail is removed without first reattaching the topping lift. I don't intend to use this for stopping a swinging boom, but to simply support the beast should need of maintenance require it and to keep the rain off my back and more importantly, sun from giving me more burning or skin cancer than could be already pending.

It is not a shock absorber, it is a shelf.
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 07:14   #48

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Takes up too much room. One more tripping hazard. Presents temptation to hang carp that should be stowed. I vote no.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 08:00   #49

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Carp, not so good, but salmon, good.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 08:24   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
As I see it,

The Boom Gallows requires the Boom (with mainsail raised) to be at a height to always clear the Boom Gallows.

If the mainsail is lowered (e.g. While stowing or tying up the mainsail) and then the boom is allowed to rest in the gallows, then it is serving its primary purpose (as a secure resting place for the boom). I think this has value.

If the boom were to swing in a gybe (with mainsail up) and IF it did hit the boom gallows, I suspect that would mean:

1. The boom height was not high enough

And, assuming the boom gallows is higher than the head height of a helmsman...

2. The boom will strike the gallows first before hitting the helmsman and possiblly other crew in the cockpit, and that strike (BANG!) on the boom gallows may warn the crew to DUCK or lower their head/body in time to prevent personal injury by the swinging boom, assuming they DUCK in time.

3. A gybing boom in heavy weather would be a danger in any case (boom gallows or not).
You were the one posting about gybing for some reason. I was just wondering how much damage would happen if it did stop a gybe, seemed to be what you were going on about as some kind of safety feature.
My boat the boom will take you head off in a tack if you're over 5'8".
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 08:42   #51
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
You were the one posting about gybing for some reason. I was just wondering how much damage would happen if it did stop a gybe, seemed to be what you were going on about as some kind of safety feature.
My boat the boom will take you head off in a tack if you're over 5'8".
I think people have misunderstood my earlier posts (and I showed a video of a boom gybing LOW across a deck with force). Of course I understand that short statements of text can be misunderstood.

I see the primary usefulness of a Boom Gallows as a place to rest (and secure) the boom while working on the boom or mainsail, or when one is finished sailing.

And I do see it as something that AIDS in safety, as when a boom is secured in it, crew can work on the main/boom without as much risk of being bonked or knocked off the boat. Or, when a boat is at anchor or moored and a boom may swing as a boat rocks. Etc.

But, just saying that I know some others will pick that statement apart.

The Boom Gallows differ from boat to boat. Look at them. Some are on boats with short booms, and others on boats with very long heavy booms. Some are low, some area high. Some are on old looking traditional styled boats, and some are not. Some are heavy constructions made of cast bronze and wood, while others are made lightly of aluminum. They can be different, and used differently.

I did not say a Boom Gallows will be used to stop a gybe while sailing or should be used during racing etc. As a boom gallows should be made so that the boom, when the mainsail is in use, can swing from side to side ABOVE the gallows.

But, I can see how it may be misinterpreted.

I posted a video (of a racing boat) simply to demonstrate how the crew had to duck to avoid a low swinging boom that swung quickly twice as the boat accidentally gybed while going downwind. It was posted to illustrate how that boom can swing quickly and out of control. It is the UNCONTROLLED aspect I was trying to illustrate.

An uncontrolled boom can be dangerous, even when the boat is not racing or sailing, and that can even be when at anchor.

The Original Post was related to a traditional style boat and the question was something like "What is a boom gallows and why are they on boats?"

I think that has been answered in previous comments.
_________

Here is what I wrote in my first posted comment on this topic. Here is the first Opening Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I have a Tashiba-31. I've noticed a number of boats of this model in different sizes have a boom gallows.

I'm wondering what are the pros/cons to have a boom gallows?

____

And here is my FIRST response:

I like Traditional Styled boats, so I often see Boom Gallows when viewing the boats.

Here is my Quick Response to your question:

The Boom Gallows is primarily a safety feature on a boat.

It allows the boom to rest in a secure position while any work is done on the boom, such as while reefing or while stowing the mainsail or when the boat is sitting at anchor or on a mooring and even while it is sailing.
_________

I regret if my earlier posts, including showing a video of a boom swinging low in a gybe, have been misunderstood. I hope this post clarifies how I see it. Of course others will see this issue differently. YMMV
Old 28-11-2016, 09:00   #52

Sailing fan, I built my first gallows on a boat only a foot shorter than yours (Contessa 26) and mounted it over the companionway. The Contessa didnt have a sliding hatch so I didnt have to deal with that, but I mounted it so that it served as one of the dodger bows. It was only a 1 by 6 piece of mahogany shaped and cut for 3 resting places. I put a bent 1 by 1 mahogany piece across the front face and rear face and attached the dodger to those. Since I didnt have a sliding hatch/dog house arrangement I was able to attach an aluminum bolt rope track across the cabin top and made the dodger so that the bottom slide into the track. Worked out perfectly water tight. In your case I would consider making what I believe is called a CUTWATER, a board from the side of the hatch-house (hatch garage?) that tapers to almost nothing at the edge of the cabin trunk. Attach the dodger at the top of the cutwater. Water running down a cabin trunk will get under most dodger attachments, but the bolt rope idea or the attachments being several inches higher ( Cutwater top)will go a long way to keeping your cockpit dryer. I consider a gallows as a convenience, a safety factor and a great place to attach another needed cruising item, A DODGER. I sailed that little boat many thousands of miles and found the gallows and dodger to be a real plus. The gallows was not in the way, nor adding clutter to the boat and was a wonderful thing when reefing. Just to clear up an idea floated here, a gallows has nothing to do with preventing/slowing down gybes. I dont know where that idea comes from. I built gallows on my next two cruising boats and was very pleased with them. Just another 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:27   #53

Another note, I just went back and re-read Sailing fans post and should note that on a boat as small as a 27 (or my old 26) you will probably soon just remove your topping lift from use. The boom on a small boat is light enough that I often reefed by raising the clew before lowering the halyard and attaching the tack. In that case the boom doesnt come low enough to benefit from the gallows, but if I was going to stay reefed for more than an hour or so, I would drop the boom into the gallows and reef and tie in the points before hauling it back up. No more need to fiddle with the topping lift to keep it from beating the stitching out of the mainsail leach. On my last cruising boat (44 foot cutter) I retained the topping lift because of the weight of the boom, but on small boats with a gallows you really dont need it. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:38   #54

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadezhda View Post
The shape of sail will keep the boom above the gallows otherwise the boom would hit it every time you tacked or gybed. Therefore you cannot reef whilst the boom is on the gallows otherwise the tack would be too low.

With the halyard slacked boom rests on gallows while reefing. Last step to reefing is raising halyard which lifts boom clear again.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:48   #55

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I just removed the gallows from my boat. With a topping lift and rigid boom vang the boom is supported redundantly. As I live on my boat the cockpit is a large portion of that living space and removing the boom opens it up. Also I no longer bang my head as I go from galley to stern mounted grill.
Old 28-11-2016, 15:14   #56

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
With the halyard slacked boom rests on gallows while reefing. Last step to reefing is raising halyard which lifts boom clear again.
What boat specifics? A gaff rigged or similar craft?

Asking as our bermuda main has the boom supported by a lift, so when you ease the halyard, the boom stays put.

Also, in our specific case, the boom cannot rest in the gallows for reefing, unless it is a super flat day and we are reefing while beating.

I would have some (minor) reservations for the boom angle regulated by the main halyard as should this halyard part, the boom could hit a crew member.

All this from the point of view of my limited experience with how booms are supported on various craft.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 18:33   #57

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Another note, I just went back and re-read Sailing fans post and should note that on a boat as small as a 27 (or my old 26) you will probably soon just remove your topping lift from use. The boom on a small boat is light enough that I often reefed by raising the clew before lowering the halyard and attaching the tack. In that case the boom doesnt come low enough to benefit from the gallows, but if I was going to stay reefed for more than an hour or so, I would drop the boom into the gallows and reef and tie in the points before hauling it back up. No more need to fiddle with the topping lift to keep it from beating the stitching out of the mainsail leach. On my last cruising boat (44 foot cutter) I retained the topping lift because of the weight of the boom, but on small boats with a gallows you really dont need it. _____Grant.
I was actually just considering this idea when I came back to the computer a few minutes ago. I could use a slightly lighter halyard aside from the main's to pull the extra engine (outboard) and launch up on deck, and this could be the way to gain it without having to redo the mast head.... Hmmm...
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:07   #58
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gallows Humor?

Just happened across a photo today of one of my favorite singers and it had, of all things, a BOOM GALLOWS shown behind his head. So, posting it for you folks.

Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones) in a Rolling Stone Magazine photo shoot in 1973 in Hawaii.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	137646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1897.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	137647  

Old 07-12-2016, 12:26   #59

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36

I wonder if that's Keith standing (on one leg?) on the pushpit. Here's my gallows (pic). Click image for larger version

Name:	1481142318529.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	137648
bauer965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:35   #60

Boat: a sailing boat

I have just inched our boom up to get better clearance over the gallows. But I am keeping the gallows.

What I do like is when the boom is in the gallows and we are becalmed (or anchored and rolling) the boom does not move and the attached blocks, necks and elements to not make noise. I do like this fact as I suffer from excessive noise onboard.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote