Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2007, 09:30   #1

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Question Bonding Starboard

I am replacing my deadlights. This project has been delayed for months getting materials, and now that I am into it, I have a new problem.

Around the inside of the opening, there are a series of plywood blocks, into which the interior trim piece screws. Some of these are pretty well deteriorated, and I am replacing them. Being the crafty fellow, I thought, why not replace them with something that won’t deteriorate, like Starboard? I even got some free Starboard remnants that are large enough to serve my purpose.

Now that I am into the first window, I find that I can’t bond the Starboard to the fiberglass. Might as well be trying to glue a bar or soap.

A little on-line research indicated that I required a special adhesive, Starbond. I can’t find it locally. West Marine’s 2005 catalog listed something called Scotch Weld which was supposed to work with Starboard, but they have discontinued it. It looks like a 2 part epoxy.

My question is: Is there a common, readily available adhesive that will bond Starboard to fiberglass?

Any thoughts are welcome.

I may have created a monster and maybe should just use plywood and seal it well with urethane.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:16   #2
Kai Nui

George, First, I have never worked with Starboard, so I realy can't say what will work. If I were doing the same project, I would use plywood thoroughly coated in penetrating epoxy, and use West Systems to install it. This may not be the latest/greatest, but I am familiar with the process. If I am understanding the project correctly, this is not something you want to experiment with, and have to take apart later. FWIW, that would be my approach, but maybe others are familiar with starboard, and can give you better answers.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
King Plastics recommend mechanical fastening, and do not recommend the use of adhesives with their StarBoard products.

They do note that 3M’s “Scotchweld” #DP8005, and Lord Corp’s #7540-AB have been used with some success; and that it can be welded using special rods. Contact Plastic Welding Technolgies < www.pwtworld.com > for details.</SPAN>

Goto: King StarBoard Marine Polymer Sheets - The Ultimate Marine Building Material

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:55   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I think the reason you ended up in this mess was the last person never did as suggested above. Had that been done you would not be needing to do it now and using Starboard wouldn't be required if you did above. I should think a similar approach with starboard would work as well. I can't think of anything that would band better.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 13:07   #5

sunspot in the house ind. they now have plastic plank trim for houses. this stuff will bond with adh. or marine grade adhs. you just have to skuff the surface to get the sheen off. it takes nails and screws well, and has a realitively good compression strength. you might find some at a cons. sight (cut offs)
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 15:49   #6

It seems to me that Starboard had a large range of expansion/contraction, that's why they recommend using screws with a hole diameter large enough to let the material move through the expansion/contraction process. Might not be the best thing to use next to another, dissimilar material?
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 15:54   #7

A couple of links...

http://www.kingstarboard.com/CMS/Med...orkingwith.pdf

http://www.wps.on.ca/plastic4boats/starboard.pdf
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:28   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Loctite #3030 claims to be designed for bonding to difficult substrates such as HDPE, LLDPE, and polypropylene.
http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...pdf/lt3779.pdf
http://www.gluguru.com/PDF/Product%203030%20TDS.pdf

Old 02-01-2007, 04:14   #9

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Thanks.

Looks like my bright idea wasn't. Plywood here I come.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 19:55   #10

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Is Starboard the same as HDPE or is it just one type?
Is generic HDPE as good as Starboard (for anything that you would use HDPE for)?
Does anyone know of any advancements in the gluing (with simple methods) of HDPE?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 20:59   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I love starboard and think it has mildew inhibitors because it always stay spotless. However, I always use mechanical fasteners. I countersink beyond flush and cover head with some silicone for corrosion protection. Zero maintenance.

I do not like it looks so never use it anywhere in sight.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 03:39   #12
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Does anyone know of any advancements in the gluing (with simple methods) of HDPE?
I once spent a week trying to glue two pieces Starboard together. Each time I thought I "had it"... I didn't.

Several epoxies mixes and variations on superglue were tried with a series of clamps, a woodworker's clamping bench, and varying grits of sandpaper. Each glue did 'work' until the glued piece was stressed and then it just didn't.

I would argue that glues can be used for cosmetic fillers, but will not mechanically bond two pieces of this stuff.

Like the man said, it's like trying to glue to a bar of soap.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 03:41   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

King StarBoard® is a modified form of high density polyethylene (HDPE).

King Plastics market a number of products within the StarBoard® family: StarBoard, StarBoard AS, StarBoard ST, StarBoard XL, StarLite XL, and E-Board.

StarBoard sheet products cannot be successfully painted, and the use of adhesives alone is not recommended.
If gluing is absolutely necessary, products such as:
3M Scotch-Weld DP-8005
and
Lord Corporation 7540-AB
have been used with some success.

Special welding rods*, designed for use with polymer sheets, are also available.
* Try: Plastic Welding Technolgies (Plastic Welding Technologies)