Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2023, 01:30   #1

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Bomar cast portlight (older style circa 1988) replacement seals

I have an Alden 46 cutter built in 1988.
There are 12 heavy cast alloy opening portlights in the cabin sides. These are the ones with coil springs in the hinges and 2 black plastic screw-down dogs.
The seal is glued into a shallow 1/4 round groove about 15mm wide in the non-opening part of the portlight. It appears to be "D" shaped, with the flat side sealing against the thick plastic insert in the opening part of the portlight. I recon that when new, the seal stood about 5mm proud of the cast alloy part it was glued into.

The seals are not "one piece"; they are glued together at the top, so they are obviously cut to fit. The material is solid black rubber, not "sponge rubber".

Does anyone have a source for replacement material? I've looked at various rubber suppliers on-line, but there is nothing that would be a good fit.

I've tried Bomar's head office, but they are so far not responding. Same for the dealers.
Any help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4438.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	273290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4437.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	273291  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4436.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	273292  
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 13:45   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Bomar cast portlight (older style circa 1988) replacement seals

I just bought what I needed for my old bronze portlights from UES International. Different profile to yours, mine were simple 10mm x 6mm rectangular profile, but they did seem to have lots to choose from.

Probably not local to you but postage shouldn’t be all that much.

Edit: they seem to have a Kiwi presence.
Old 26-03-2023, 13:55   #3

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
Re: Bomar cast portlight (older style circa 1988) replacement seals

Yes. I have the same portlights. They are good ones- excellent quality and you can get a great seal with them.
They take a solid round gasket material, 9/16” diameter, with an adhesive strip on one side.
Taco marine sells the correct gasket material. It is carried by west marine as well. Search on the west site for ‘9/16" Gasket for Molded Hatches, 10' Section’ and you’ll find it.

Good luck!
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 13:56   #4

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

I replaced the gaskets on all of mine with this product and it has been excellent. 3 hurricanes and extensive offshore blue water exposure between Bermuda ns Newfoundland and they don’t leak a drop.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 11:55   #5

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Thanks very much for you very helpful suggestions! I'll order a length from West Marine.
Sincerely,
Sandy
Old 27-03-2023, 12:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
I have an Alden 46 cutter built in 1988.
There are 12 heavy cast alloy opening portlights in the cabin sides. These are the ones with coil springs in the hinges and 2 black plastic screw-down dogs.
The seal is glued into a shallow 1/4 round groove about 15mm wide in the non-opening part of the portlight. It appears to be "D" shaped, with the flat side sealing against the thick plastic insert in the opening part of the portlight. I recon that when new, the seal stood about 5mm proud of the cast alloy part it was glued into.

The seals are not "one piece"; they are glued together at the top, so they are obviously cut to fit. The material is solid black rubber, not "sponge rubber".

Does anyone have a source for replacement material? I've looked at various rubber suppliers on-line, but there is nothing that would be a good fit.

I've tried Bomar's head office, but they are so far not responding. Same for the dealers.
Any help appreciated.
I got replacement seals (adhesive backed) from McMaster-Carr. I used round hollow instead and they have been leakproof since installed in 2016
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 14:54   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Sandy,

If you have a seal store nearby that stocks seals for one to replace onself for freezers, &c., sometimes they carry something like that. We had some success for our first Insatiable at one in Southport, Qld. (trying to move the source closer to NZ than WM.)

Have all of yours had a "D" shape from since you got the boat? Or could they have been "O" shaped like our Goiot hatches on I-1, and just become flattened from being closed tight so long? We've made our own "O" rings, using super glue for the glue, needs a good straight cut and patience.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 28-03-2023, 01:21   #8

Hi Ann,
Thanks for the suggestion on glue. I think now that my seals were originally round and just got flattened with age.
Old 28-03-2023, 18:42   #9

To NSboatman and the others:
If I get solid round rubber material, how "hard" would you suggest? I know its subjective, but some indication would be useful. Also, if it doesn't come with an adhesive already attached (like the West Marine ones), do you have a suggestion for adhesive? Some sort of double sided tape? Brush-on contact glue would be too messy I think.
Cheers,
Nuku

Tags
bomar, men, seals