Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2018, 16:03   #31

Re: Bolt Threads in Epoxy

Now for something different. Yes, wet the hole with neet epoxy and fill with a mix of epoxy and West System high strength filler. Then or before go to Home Depot and get some Paulin Sert a Thread kits. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...000162982.html. They go up to 1/4 inch.
These are a sort of like a wall anchor. I first used them for a thin glass liner that had shed some screwed in curtain snaps. This was the only fix. Since then I've used them to make threaded holes in my cabin top to attach dodger parts. Be careful to follow instructions exactly - the hole you drill must be the exact size, not any approximation especially in thicker glass (varies with thickness). You have to find the correct size drill and some are not all that standard but, nevertheless are available.The thread fitting does stand a bit proud of the hole but that is usually in the area of bedding compound thickness. I don't see using furniture fittings, rubber nuts or several other solutions offered. I haven't tried tapping a hole in Fiberglass or casting in threads with a waxed bolt. I do feel cutting threads in glass leads to fracturing that may compromise strength - the method above works but might not be the only way.
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 05:58   #32

There are some great suggestions for various types of hardware and techniques here, but I have to ask...

Is there a reason you couldn't simply fill the holes, drill a new hole and use a bolt/nut/washer? Is the back side not accessible?
LaughingWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 06:20   #33

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWarrior View Post
There are some great suggestions for various types of hardware and techniques here, but I have to ask...

Is there a reason you couldn't simply fill the holes, drill a new hole and use a bolt/nut/washer? Is the back side not accessible?
Correct, not accessible.
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 06:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC View Post
Now for something different. Yes, wet the hole with neet epoxy and fill with a mix of epoxy and West System high strength filler. Then or before go to Home Depot and get some Paulin Sert a Thread kits. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...000162982.html. They go up to 1/4 inch.
Quite keen to see what these look like, but for whatever reason cannot access the homedepot.ca site you link to (tried two browsers; may be a geo-restriction). Can't find them on hpaulin.com web site either, so any chance you could provide a photo or an alternative link to these special inserts ?
Old 24-11-2018, 06:44   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The inserts recommenced by Murray are excellent. They are also sold under the name Nutsert. I think the 1/4” ones will fit in a 1/2” hole, no filling required. They are commonly available in steel but they are also available in plated brass which is what you want for marine use. They can be hard to find. My old store may still have them.

Another option would be to use Togglers. Again these fit in 1/2” holes, no filling required. You want the ones sold by Garelick for installing pedestal chairs as they are stainless.
Toggler Snaptoggle | Install Toggle Bolts, Toggle bolt installation, Anchor bolt installation

You’ve had three suggestions for blind fasteners that shouldn’t require any filling.
Wellnut, Nutsert, Togglers, anyone of which should work.

I’ve used all three and they work.
Old 24-11-2018, 08:06   #36
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And PlusNut in my #12, similar origins and design, but which when compressed yields a much wider "cross" for maximum side-holding power and spin resistance.

Designed for holding in thin sheet material, so that needs to be taken into account if proposing bedding in epoxy inside a thicker material
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 17:20   #37

Thanks HOPCAR and JOHN61 for clarifying. So those Sert-a-Thread nuts are known as "rivnuts" in my area.

And if using rivnuts specifically with no epoxy, you probably want to match the grip range (ie. rivnut length) with your substrate thickness.
Looking at some rivnut installation videos, I think the Plusnut (and Wellnut) would grip much better on a thin fibreglass wall, whereas the Rivnut would grip well on a harder material like steel.

I've ordered some Wellnuts (for my kayak) and Rivnuts for my toolkit for future use. Could not find Plusnuts in stainless. But for my current application have gone to try out epoxy and glass cloth threads as suggested by Thinwater/Practical Sailor. And, just a reminder that my current application is not structural, so if it fails, I drill it out and try one of the other excellent suggestions in this thread.
Old 24-11-2018, 17:33   #38
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

PlusNuts are indeed the way to go for mounting as designed in plastic sheeting. As well IMO for the "drop compressed in a hole full of epoxy" jury rig approach.

Contact the manufacturer and ask for contact info for your local distributor

http://www.bollhoff-usa.com/static/p...version-EN.pdf

My last order placed by phone, arrived within 2 days, got a great value tool at the same time.

SS10p175 was the part #

SS stands for stainless, as opposed to one S for raw steel.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 10:04   #39

Boat: Gozzard 36

RIGHT!! ONLY NOW do I find out about waxing the bolt thread --- too smart, too late -- I put a nut (on a intended throw-away Bolt) in the pre-drilled hole then filled the hole with the intention being that later after the epoxy hardened I could just unscrew the bolt and attach the fitting with the proper length bolt --- of course now I can't undo the bolt!!! (Duhh) Any suggestions on how to get the bolt out other than brute force, drilling and chiselling out the epoxy (Most of my repair problems seem to be self-imposed!!!) :-(
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 10:10   #40

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsailor View Post
RIGHT!! ONLY NOW do I find out about waxing the bolt thread --- too smart, too late -- I put a nut (on a intended throw-away Bolt) in the pre-drilled hole then filled the hole with the intention being that later after the epoxy hardened I could just unscrew the bolt and attach the fitting with the proper length bolt --- of course now I can't undo the bolt!!! (Duhh) Any suggestions on how to get the bolt out other than brute force, drilling and chiselling out the epoxy (Most of my repair problems seem to be self-imposed!!!) :-(
you might be able to use heat to soften the epoxy. The hard part will be heating the bolt without heating the surrounding epoxy too much.
You could try heating an old fashion soldering iron and holding it against the bolt head.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 10:13   #41

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Try heating the bolt slightly with a soldering gun. Just enough to loosen the epoxy bond. My 2 cents
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:26   #42

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Use a wet rag against the fiberglass, and cover that with a skirt of aluminum foil. Torch to bolt, should soften right up.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy