Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2020, 08:48   #1

Boat: Maple Leaf-48
BoatWrap instead of painting ???

Thanks everyone for previous tips on how to remove heavy oxidization on my 48' blue hull. I am about to haul to deal with the problem when someone suggested vinyl BOAT WRAP. Any comments ??? THANKS / Roger
rainforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 08:59   #2

Re: BoatWrap instead of painting ???

We have been thinking about it. We don't want a graphic, but a solid color. I've gotten comments both good and bad. I've also looked at a couple of ocean racers with 3-5 year old graphic wraps on them and was not really impressed with how they have held up.

In the end it may just come down to the difference between the cost of a paint job vs. the cost of the wrap. An Imron or Awlgrip job will look good for 10-15 years depending on the color. A wrap may only look good for 5 years, maybe?
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 08:59   #3

Boat: Celestial 48

It likely would get wrecked when boat was lifted in slings to get put back in water. If not would seem like would not stand up to action of fenders at a dock. No experience, just thoughts.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 09:48   #4

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

I was with a friend who was looking at a 56' boat with a hull wrap. It had been on for seven years and looked like new except for one little snag in a not-easy-to-see spot. That's seven years of monthly cruising, fenders rubbing against docks, etc. Broker said the owner spent 9k on the wrap and it would have cost 40k for an equivalent paint job. The wrap needs no waxing; wash it down and you're good to go. Replace it every nine or ten years and it would take you forty years to equal one paint job. Makes sense to me.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 10:10   #5

THANKS J&D;
Appreciated ...
Old 17-02-2020, 14:35   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

I think the big issue is one bad docking and you tear the wrap. Then for the life of the wrap you always have this band aid stuck on the side of your boat. I have surveyed a few boats that have been wrapped and the repairs just look awful close up. I have also seen the wrap bubble on a cat with a wet core.
I think they need to work out how you can touch up the wrap with a new piece then heat gun the edges smooth so the repair is invisible. That to me would make the wrap more viable.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 15:38   #7

All good info. Tending now to condor just wet-sand and seal with "something".
CHEERS
Roger
Old 17-02-2020, 16:08   #8

I have used it with great success for trim. As others have said, seems a bit fragile for a full-hull wrap.

For anybody looking for a lifespan yardstick... vinyl lettering is made of basically the same stuff. If they are horizontal they last a dozen years, if they have much vertical exposure, about 8 or ten and they start to look a bit faded.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 16:21   #9

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

My 2019 Saba was wrapped a little over a year ago (3M 1080 Sterling Silver.) It's holding up well. She's been hauled twice, just have to be careful (we insert blankets under the lift straps)

You will get damage from touching the dock or the occasional fender rub (we use soft fender covers) but the repairs are simple and cannot be seen at a distance greater than ~10' You'll note a small nick in the wrap on the Starboard bow - this was repaired shortly after the photo was taken and took about 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GhostClose.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	208990  

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 16:41   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

What I reckon would be cool is fixing the damaged bits of wrap with a graphic that reflects your boat name. CSQ see your boat is called Ghost so you could stick little Caspers over the damged area? I know a charter fishing vessel that just ads another coloured fish when their wrap is damaged.
If you are not worried about the finish from closer than 10 feet you could just roll some paint on. I noticed a boat in our marina that has been recently painted with Hempel single pack paint and looks like it has been sprayed from 10 feet away.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 17:11   #11

Boat: Catalina 320

New owner of a unique blue colored powerboat near me, recently noticed a large section of the hull wrap was torn and it was actually a maroon colored hull beneath. I knew the color was unusual but thought it was paint. Couple days later I notice the damage to wrap has been repaired and is not visible at all. I'd ask him for details but after watching him bounce off 2 boats and a piling coming into his slip the other day he may be sensitive discussing the cost of his wrap repairs.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 19:16   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

It's got to be cheaper and so much easier to have done. Given how much it cost to paint my hulls I should have looked at this option.

Has anyone ever thought about putting a ceramic coating on their hulls? I've no idea how well it would work but seems to be the rave right now with cars and trucks.
Old 17-02-2020, 19:44   #13

Boat: EDELCAT33

I just saw in YouTube channel a 46ft catamaran wrapped. Apparently the cost is significantly cheaper than painting or gel repairs. He mentioned $7K vs $20K quote for paint. Warranty is one year and life span is 12 years
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 20:53   #14

Boat: Armstrong 42' Catamaran

Hi all
Great thread - I too have been wondering about a wrap - how does to stand up to the brown waterline staining? I currently have to clean with oxalic acid 2-3 times a season. I was wondering about just wrapping below the belting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catmantoo waterline stsin.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	472.1 KB
ID:	209013   Click image for larger version

Name:	dads boat2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	209014  

https://www.youtube.com/user/eyes333333
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 08:26   #15

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

My 40 year old Freedom 28 has gray gelcoat on the decks, and even heavy cutting compound wasn't dealing with the chalkiness. I finally tried wet-sanding this past weekend and was absolutely blown away. I used soapy water in a squirt bottle and ran from 800, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grits on my orbital sander, then finished with polishing compound. Results were incredible. I was a little leery of starting with 800, but in my case, I feel like it kept the 1200 from clogging as fast.
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, paint