Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2020, 13:14   #46

Re: BoatWrap instead of painting ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdayger View Post
Can the boat wrap be done by DIY?? Have an older 31Dufour that could use a facelift. Tks

Watch this video. I've had a little play with wrap and on a vehicle I might but on a boat I wouldn't attempt it.

https://youtu.be/up1MK12fWGg
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 17:37   #47

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

This is interesting stuff to consider, and as we were looking for our new boat we found a few where some sort of top side refinish was in order -- and we were tossing around wrap.

Which leads to the not-quite-on-topic, but very related subject. I've read some advertisements, some very early positive reviews, etc, on various boatwrap BOTTOM finish! Now, that's an interesting concept! I have now said about all I know on the subject -- but I'll be watching for more.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 17:05   #48

Boat: 2007 Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
I used Poly-glo on my Hunter 23.5 and it worked very well as long as I maintained it annually. I got similar comments about being like-new.

It is easy to use. As with painting, surface prep is the big job. The main work with Poly-glo is getting the surface perfectly clean before applying the first time. I used barkeepers friend and bleach and the poly-glo cleaner.

There are other acrylic products as well, but Poly-glo had the best rating at the time I used it.
allendick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 17:10   #49

Boat: 2007 Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN1 View Post
I applied Poliglow to my 43' sloop about 5 years ago, when the boat was 15 yrs old. Cleaning and application was easy and the result seemed really good, until 2 years later.
The Poliglow was breaking down badly so I asked the yard to compound and wax the hull. The next day they swore at me up and down since the Poliglow gummed up their equipment and was almost impossible to fully remove, even using PoliStrip. So be aware that once you make that choice it's hard to go back.

I've heard good things about wraps from owners. If you orient the panels vertically rather than horizontally a new panel could be installed at low cost.
You have to recoat annually or it does degrade but re-applying is a simple wipe with the chamois wet with the solution. IF you wait too long, though, you would be doing so over a degraded coating.

As for removal, I have heard that the solutions need to be fresh or they do not work. I used both the Poly-glo and cleaner and never had an issue but I did not try to strip the boat.
allendick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 03:56   #50

Boat: O'Day 34

The PO on my boat had used polyglo and the hull looked like it had a serious skin condition. After trying to buff, etc. I used Zep commercial floor stripper. It was only ~$10 per gallon and it melted the stuff off. Just apply and scrub off with a scotch scrubby. Use a low abrasive one so you don't scratch the gelcoat.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 05:08   #51
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

For that clear protective film: there’s one called DiamondShield as well.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, paint