Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 10:16   #16

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: BoatWrap instead of painting ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest View Post
Thanks everyone for previous tips on how to remove heavy oxidization on my 48' blue hull. I am about to haul to deal with the problem when someone suggested vinyl BOAT WRAP. Any comments ??? THANKS / Roger
Check out The O'Kellys, You Tube channel as they are in the process of having a wrap applied to their Leopard 38. Apparently it's a 3M product for marine use similar to their Scothchlite product which is used for decals and truck lettering.
This requires a very skilled installer and is not something a DIYer should ever consider.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 12:29   #17

Boat: Newport 30

We stop by the Boat Wrap booth every year while at the Vancouver Boat Show (terrible the last few years by the way), and I think I'm almost ready to get it done on my 30 foot Newport. The price is right at roughly $4000 Canadian and the down time is a very reasonable 2-3 days.

They demonstrate damage repair for all to see and it looks good even close up

My two cents

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 13:09   #18

Boat: Tartan 37C

I'm considering a vinyl wrap in my cockpit. The cost of removing and reinstalling all of the hardware plus the cost of paint, here on Long Island is between 8 and 10 thousand dollars. Are there any opinions about a vinyl wrap in the cockpit?
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 13:26   #19

Hi all
I got a vinyl wrap on my 14.8 mt cat 3 years ago and it's really fine. Cost €5000.
Some damage on port was easily repaired with a kiss image.
Suggestion to best clean use oven cleaner.
Happy sailing
dberdou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 18:57   #20

Boat: O'Day 34

I sail often on a friend's 41.6 Morgan OI in Europe. It was wrapped in Tallin, Estonia for under $4K usd. Looked great but the first time someone climbed out of the dingy onto the side of the boat the wrap tore where he placed his foot. Also, after about 200 nm of inland travel through France the wrap began to peel off at the bow waterline. It was cheap, looked good, but is very fragile.
It might work well on vehicles but I don't think it's robust enough for marine use.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 21:57   #21

Boat: Maple Leaf-48

Thanks. MUCH appreciated.
rainforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 00:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
I sail often on a friend's 41.6 Morgan OI in Europe. It was wrapped in Tallin, Estonia for under $4K usd. Looked great but the first time someone climbed out of the dingy onto the side of the boat the wrap tore where he placed his foot. Also, after about 200 nm of inland travel through France the wrap began to peel off at the bow waterline. It was cheap, looked good, but is very fragile.
It might work well on vehicles but I don't think it's robust enough for marine use.
There are definitely different qualities of wrap out there, like most things in life it's not all the same.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 01:54   #23

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
There are definitely different qualities of wrap out there, like most things in life it's not all the same.
I can accept that. Can you elaborate?

Cruising boats don't get to enjoy optimal care of the cosmetics in my experience. I remember the days when I could wash the boat once a week. This days are long gone, but I still want whatever finish I go with to look good as long as possible.

When I set sail from Mexico to Hawaii, my 12 year old Awlgrip still had luster. By the time I sailed into Hilo, that paint job toast. I am overdue for new paint, or ....a wrap, if that's a workable choice.
Old 19-02-2020, 06:09   #24

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

We repainted with Awlgrip, yes it was expensive. I would much rather fix an abrasion on vinyl wrap than Awlgrip. In fact, you can't fix Awlgrip. If you scuff the paint, you get to live with it until you either repaint or wrap.
Another option on the scuffed areas, 3m offers a clear car protective film, like for rock chip areas, that comes in rolls. I am going to install this protective film in the scuff areas. It does come in clear or white and covers up old Awlgrip scuff marks.
Awlgrip is tough but when it does get scuffed, it is impossible to fix. The wrap-pull it off and reapply at the next haulout.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 06:38   #25

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
We repainted with Awlgrip, yes it was expensive. I would much rather fix an abrasion on vinyl wrap than Awlgrip. In fact, you can't fix Awlgrip. If you scuff the paint, you get to live with it until you either repaint or wrap.
Another option on the scuffed areas, 3m offers a clear car protective film, like for rock chip areas, that comes in rolls. I am going to install this protective film in the scuff areas. It does come in clear or white and covers up old Awlgrip scuff marks.
Awlgrip is tough but when it does get scuffed, it is impossible to fix. The wrap-pull it off and reapply at the next haulout.
I'm not sure what you mean by this? Awlgrip gets fixed and repaired all the time.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 07:48   #26

Boat: Tartan 37C

Sailingchiro, do you have the name of that 3M product or more information about how it has worn in the marine environment?
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 20:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I can accept that. Can you elaborate?
I'm no expert, I've only had a little play with some 3M and Avery products at a trade show and talked to them briefly and someone I know who was doing some vehicles who no longer uses the cheap stuff due to issues. They have such a range of films with different characteristics that I would contact them directly and ask for their recommendations specific to your application.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 08:07   #28

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest View Post
Thanks everyone for previous tips on how to remove heavy oxidization on my 48' blue hull. I am about to haul to deal with the problem when someone suggested vinyl BOAT WRAP. Any comments ??? THANKS / Roger
So with a older boat, 83, and worn out gelcoat, I ran into a product at a boat show. The product is a easy clean and wipe on, but brought the color right back to the hull. Been using it for about 10 yrs now and get many comments on how do I keep that hull so shiny..
My buddy has a blue hull older boat, turn him onto to it, after 2 separate applications, the blue almost looks factory. (each app requires a detailed deglassing and application f 4 coats. I do my 37ft, in about an hr.)

I don't own or know the maker personally, just use it with success: You can get it on the internet. For 48$ US, the kit may be worth a quick try before the cost of a repaint or wrap..
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 08:12   #29

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I don't own or know the maker personally, just use it with success: You can get it on the internet. For 48$ US, the kit may be worth a quick try before the cost of a repaint or wrap.. [/QUOTE]

can you give us the product name???...
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 08:37   #30

Boat: Maple Leaf-48

Yes, Please - product name ...
rainforest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, paint