Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 05:22   #61

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Boats coming apart at the toerail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Interesting how all of the usual suspects on this forum who repeatedly claim a boat should be built just strong enough not to break during regular use and no more, in the name of weight savings, have nothing to say here.
I'm not sure why you are looking for an argument here. This was a 45-56yr old (those were its production years) low-end production boat that nobody knows exactly what happened to it, nor how it was maintained.

Another Triton owner who posts prolifically on his boat states that the hull/deck joint on it was laughable and consisted of soaked mat balled up and stuffed up into it. That was the extent of the entire connection - there are no mechanical fasteners or tabbing. He spent a lot of effort redoing his factory joint.

Few of us have argued that boats should be built weakly. Most of us have argued that modern composites and build techniques no longer require globbing in 3-4" of mat and woven roving to achieve strength.

I suspect you already know about some of these materials and techniques? If not, you should.

Mark

Edit: I just went to the linked website and looked at the pictures. Why don't you do the same and give us your professional opinion on the design and build quality of that hull/deck joint. I will bet you a dollar there isn't any of your favorite whipping horse boats having that joint designed or built that way.

BTW, they claimed their paper charts were destroyed in this accident! But that is a different debate...

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 05:46   #62
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I don't have any problem believing that fiberglass has a useful life. But I don't believe we have any idea what it is. I have no doubt that if there were enough clues the insurance companies would know first and we all would have heard.
Old 31-01-2015, 05:48   #63

Don't go polluting things with pragmatic statements.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 31-01-2015, 05:51   #64
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Don't go polluting things with pragmatic statements.

Mark
well it came from me so shouldn't be hard to discount (this is probably another pragmatic statement)
Old 31-01-2015, 06:11   #65

Boat: Bristol 27

So one Pearson Triton out of more than 700 built had a problem.

Are there lots of other reports of that boat having a similar problem?

Also, it looks like the boats were built differently at different times and sites.

Construction

Although it was a production boat, individual Tritons appear to vary widely in terms of construction. In general they have the thicker, tougher and less sophisticated hulls of the earlier fiberglass production boats. Many of the East coast boats have balsa cored decks where the majority of the West coast boats have decks of solid fiberglass but this isn’t definitive. Ballast in the early days was iron encapsulated in the keel but switched to encapsulated lead in later years.

The Pearson Triton 28 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 06:13   #66

I just know of the one I posted about because his blog was widely followed in the "old internet".

Mark

Old 31-01-2015, 13:44   #67

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
The boats were built like brick shithouses. I vote that the boat hit an object at or near the surface during heavy weather.
When I first bought my boat I didn't know crap about docking a boat. My first 4 sailboats were small 16' - 20' racing catamarans.

I had to be towed in to a narrow creek against the wind once when I first bought my Bristol due to problems with the old diesel.

So the tow boat got me in with too much speed at the dock where I collided with a piling. The bow sprit took a couple inch chunk out of the piling then the boat crash landed into the dock.

This was at the end of a T dock. I had to leave the boat there and over the next few days a storm came in producing really high tides and pounded the boat against that dock. I hadn't properly secured it.

Long story short, the boat had sawed off maybe an 1 1/2" from a couple of the pilings going up and down with the tide. I was worried about what the dock guy would say.

Damage to the boat was all the wood I had to scrap off on the outside of the toe rail and some streaks on the side I wiped off.

The Bristol 27 is built very similar to the Triton.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:50   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I have a Pearson 26 and a Pearson 36. The hull/deck joint on the 26 is glued and screwed. Not very robust. The 36 had the teak toe rail just screwed to the hull/deck joint, but Pearson also fiberglassed the joint from inside.

I replaced the old toe rail and through bolted the teak and the deck and hull flange. The silicone had failed after 40 years. Aggressive cleaning by the PO and uncovered winters, led to all the screw holes leaking.

I find it hard to believe that a Pearson Triton=Tank had this kind of damage from a rollover. Even if a 10 meter wave dropped the Triton on its beam, I doubt this would break the hull...unless there was a defect, like a delaminated bulkhead or another structural problem.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:32   #69

It's pretty clear to me what happened. A breaking wave on the beam did that damage. The pressure generated can be enormous/ It's known to have bent thick steel plate like paper. It's knocked lighthouses clean off their bases.

You should all take your focus off the hull/deck joint, and consider that all the bulkheads were smashed in. Under those kinds of forces, is it reasonable to expect the hull/deck joint to NOT fail?
Old 02-02-2015, 14:54   #70

Boat: C&C 48 Custom

Just saw this now,
This was my article and my boat, the hull deck joint was outward facing bolted and then glassed from the inside. It was a west coast Triton, full glass deck but the hull layup in general was not nearly as thick and many speculate.
SakPase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 15:14   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
It's pretty clear to me what happened. A breaking wave on the beam did that damage. The pressure generated can be enormous/ It's known to have bent thick steel plate like paper. It's knocked lighthouses clean off their bases.

You should all take your focus off the hull/deck joint, and consider that all the bulkheads were smashed in. Under those kinds of forces, is it reasonable to expect the hull/deck joint to NOT fail?
Yes, we've all seen pics of SS stancions badly bent just from water force.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 15:16   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakPase View Post
Just saw this now,
This was my article and my boat, the hull deck joint was outward facing bolted and then glassed from the inside. It was a west coast Triton, full glass deck but the hull layup in general was not nearly as thick and many speculate.
Yeah, my first offshore cruiser (30ft) was supposedly a strong built but plain boat. The hull wasn't near as thick as the reputation seemed to imply.
Thanks for posting! Hope you are doing well and glad you saved your dog also!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 15:57   #73

Boat: Corbin 39

Besides there being very few mechanical fasteners in the outward flange joint one should consider the glass reinforcement. When you come back and add glass to the deck and hull joint after they both have already set up, it doesn't stick very well.

As a rule polyester resin is a poor adhesive. Unless the two sides were ground with abrasives to add tooth for a mechanical bond there isn't much strength. That's why we use mostly epoxy to make structural repairs on fiberglass boats these days.

So while the hull may be thick and tough, if you want a brick shithouse than you you need a better deck to hull joint. Also the bulkheads need to go in quick while the layup is still green.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 16:01   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddedger View Post
Besides there being very few mechanical fasteners in the outward flange joint one should consider the glass reinforcement. When you come back and add glass to the deck and hull joint after they both have already set up, it doesn't stick very well.

As a rule polyester resin is a poor adhesive. Unless the two sides were ground with abrasives to add tooth for a mechanical bond there isn't much strength. That's why we use mostly epoxy to make structural repairs on fiberglass boats these days.

So while the hull may be thick and tough, if you want a brick shithouse than you you need a better deck to hull joint. Also the bulkheads need to go in quick while the layup is still green.
+1
Old 02-02-2015, 16:13   #75

Boat: Corbin 39

Sakpas,
From reading your article I felt like you only told half of the adventure. Is there more to the story? I have a feeling that after you woke up from your long snooze there might have been some more adventure. Possibly with Colombian government or getting out of the country? What happened to the boat? Is there a follow up coming?
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote