Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 04:22   #16

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Well if you're that determined you may just push through, that's if you see all your own time on the boat as a hobby and your own work unrewarded financially in the future.
If it's just the hull and deck you're looking for make sure it's sound, although you mentioned delamination if it's 1982 guaranteed there will be some signs of osmosis as well, high moisture levels up to pinhead blisters can be tolerated anything bigger you'll have to get that done too!
If the hull and deck are sound and most of the rigging, engine and other fixings are saveable then you might just get away with it. If not, just get the drawings and spend your project money on commissioning a new hull and deck project from a professional builders that you can fit and finish yourself. Therefore your project starts on a solid foundation and you'll sleep a lot better.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:47   #17
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
I've made a living restoring boats and it takes a great deal of experience to pick the right subject for your next project. Frankly, if you have to ask, then you're in over your head and ultimately will have to job out too many tasks, to make it a viable project. In other words, if you're looking for a career, then this might be the boat for you. In the current market, you can literally have your cake and eat it too. There are hundreds of deals and great opportunities, so look around for something within your budget and skill sets.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 22:50   #18

Boat: Freewind 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to Moufflon
Ato
Will be in Singapore End Nov early Dec, want to share a coffee?
Moufflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:53   #19

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
If you're thinking of a restoration, slow down. Look at a lot of boats. After a few weeks of doing this, you'll see that cheap boats all have very different challenges. The trick to success is to find a boat that needs minimal work and money invested to bring it back up to snuff. For example, after looking for a few months, I found a boat that had good sails, good engine, good interior, good hull, but paint and varnish failure on the entire exterior. Paying a yard to do all the stripping and painting that was required would have been cost-prohibitive. But I had experience as a boat painter (I worked in a yard in college), so I knew I could do it myself. So with a couple of hundred dollars' worth of sandpaper and paint, and a LOT of hard work, I had a nice boat for very cheap.

The one you mention in the original post sounds as if it has some expensive, difficult challenges to overcome. I bet you can find a better project if you keep looking.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:52   #20
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
OK, please don't worry too much. I'm not going to get myself into trouble. There are already alternative boats lined up, so if this one does not work out for me then I will just move to the next one on the list. I am also in no sort of hurry.

cheers
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:05   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
I have built and restored many boats, now I just build them. Many times I had people show up at my door with something they had either just bought or acquired looking for me to do a bit of work on or some advice to point them in the right direction.
What I relay to them is what was relayed to me by one of my boat building mentors. He said
"In this case as with most restoration projects you have the triple option or the ten cent option. The triple option is what ever you think it will cost you in time or money it will cost three times that, more often then not you could and would of built a new one at a third of the final price and effort".
At this point everyone always asks "What's the ten cent option?" To which the reply is "A box of matches"
I don't do or part take in any restorations anymore because I already have seven abandoned dreams left for me to finish where the owner has just thrown in the towel and left the boat in lieu of labour and material costs. I'd be lucky to break even on them.
It's a funny story, but like a lot of other things, the real answer is more complicated. Some boat "projects" - probably most - would be better off with the 10 cent option. On the other hand, there are lots of boats that aren't entirely off the mark and could be "restored" for much less than a new one. I will have well under $80K - and a lot of sweat equity - in my Tayana when she's finally in the ballpark of "fully restored", i.e., well under half what a new one would cost.

She was no project boat, per se, only one of those that needs some "TLC" as the boat brokers say.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:18   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
It's a funny story, but like a lot of other things, the real answer is more complicated. Some boat "projects" - probably most - would be better off with the 10 cent option. On the other hand, there are lots of boats that aren't entirely off the mark and could be "restored" for much less than a new one. I will have well under $80K - and a lot of sweat equity - in my Tayana when she's finally in the ballpark of "fully restored", i.e., well under half what a new one would cost.

She was no project boat, per se, only one of those that needs some "TLC" as the boat brokers say.
I'll second that with mine! Been at it for 7 years and just a few boat credits away from being finished enough to cross the Pacific.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:25   #23

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post

I agree not all restoration projects are for the ten cent option but that totally depends on how vibrant your boat market is. Here at the moment if you had a good seaworthy boat you'd be hard pushed to sell it and if you do you'll be selling it at a loss, therefore boats that do need work here are worth nothing.
Once I have all my projects complete I think I have no choice but to trailer them to a better market.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:55   #24
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
decided not to bid for this boat. another one is lined up already :-)
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:54   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sounds like you are more interested in sailing? It's usually cheaper to buy a boat in good shape already, and especially in this economy. Nothing wrong with a project. The smaller the better though.

Delmarrey,

If you had it to do all over again? Would you put in the same 7 years, or purchase another boat? I have seen your gallery, and the work is exceptional. The great thing with a huge project like that. Is you know every inch of the boat, and you know what you have on your hands..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:07   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Delmarrey,

If you had it to do all over again? Would you put in the same 7 years, or purchase another boat? I have seen your gallery, and the work is exceptional. The great thing with a huge project like that. Is you know every inch of the boat, and you know what you have on your hands..........i2f
Thanks!
Yeah! I probably would have but like said with the economy the way it is I could have gotten a better/larger? boat. One that wouldn't have taken sooooo much work.
But like you said I know every inch inside and out, every bolt, nut and screw and what she can take since I take her out every season to proof the work, in which I've made minor changes to ideas related to her performance/comfort. I really wanted a Cat but they were hard to find in this area. I may tow a small one when I get to my destination (for beaching and the more common shallows).

But for my intensions (Crossing the Pacific & Island hopping) she'll be OK. She's been within my budget and capabilities and that's what counts!

BTW- When I'm 'basically done' I'll set up a blog on all the stuff I've done. It could be of interest to some just getting into a rebuild. I've taken pictures of almost everything I've done.

Tags
restoration