Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2014, 06:20   #1

Boat: Hunter 27
Boat name

I am going down to get new vinyl cut for the boat and was wondering about the proper location for the name. Can It be on the side of the boat? It is on the stern now but would it be easy to read down the side. Would all three be too tacky?
I do not want to look like a red neck power boater. Should your port or Marina be on the stern?
I am in desperate need of your wisdom and advice. Please help. Oh also who ever named her misspelled the name. "It'll do" has 2 Ls not one. So if I spell it proper is that renaming the boat and requires a ceremony or not. I sailed all last year with the Great Lakes thinking I can't spell.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 06:31   #2
cruiser

Re: Boat name

Put the name on the side only if your transom is block by a dinghy hung low on davits or a wind vane.
Renaming ceremony's are for those that are superstitious. I don't believe in sea monsters so I find it pointless.
I like rear names so it's easy for the guy behind you to call on the radio.
Names on sailboats are all about communication, power boats it's more of a "look at me, I'm good with nautical puns" thing.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 06:32   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

On the stern should be plenty.
I usually put hailing port, or home port below the name, but only required if your boat is Documented.
No need for a new ceremony after you corrected the name
Old 13-04-2014, 07:07   #4

Is she registered?

For part one, the name must not be changed to that of a vessel already registered under that name

Position

'Following receipt of all relevant documentation and the appropriate fee, the Registrar will issue a carving and marking note to the owner. In the case of a private boat under 24 metres the owner is required to arrange for the newly issued Official Number and registered tonnage to be marked on the main beam or on a readily accessible visible permanent part of the boat. The name and Port of Choice must be marked conspicuously on the stern.'

If you are only sailing in home waters with no registration .... Do as you wish .... But those in the know will know you are not a proper blue water cruiser ! : devil:

Hope this helps
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 07:22   #5
cruiser

Registered and documented are very different. With a state registered boat you can change the name whenever you want it doesn't matter in the least.
A documented boats name is on it's paperwork and is important.
Old 13-04-2014, 07:23   #6
cruiser

Even doc boats can have the same name if the hailing port is different.
Old 13-04-2014, 08:31   #7

Boat: Tayana 37

Location also depends on your boat's design. On a canoe stern or double ender, you cannot physically place the name directly on the stern. In that case, on both sides as close to the stern as practical would be acceptable.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 09:38   #8

Sorry , just noticed Detroit in your avatar

My quote came from the uk part 1 register
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote