Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2018, 16:09   #1

Blue Goo for Sealing Mast Head?

We're just about ready to reseat the mast on our Erickson 38, and when we removed it, there was a huge amount of blue stuff that had been used to seat it. I cannot find, for the life of me, any product that is blue that is used for seating a mast. If anyone knows what this product is, or has a superior recommendation for what is best used for reseating the mast, I would really appreciate your advice.

Hubby wants to use what was used previously - hence the Blue Goo request - but we're open to hearing from all of you with greater experience with this issues than we have!

Many thanks in advance, friends.
Larshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 16:43   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Blue Goo for Sealing Mast Head?

What are you asking about specifically?

The post title says goo for sealing mast head.

The body of your post is talking about “seating” the mast.

What does “seating” the mast mean to you? I know of stepping the mast, and even fixing the mast in the partners with spartite (that is coincidentally a hard blue substance). But know of no goo that would be applied at the head or foot of a mast.

Here’s a link to spartite information.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spar...X74J-oCw_0:418
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 17:45   #3

Re: Blue Goo for Sealing Mast Head?

Sorry for the bad description! We have had the mast removed, and are finally done painting and making all the upgrades to the lines, equipment, etc. and are ready to replace it on the boat.

In any case - and I do apologize for my lack of proper terminology! - we need to seal the mast once it has been put in place again. When we removed it, we had to drill out a ton of a blue, plastic-like substance, which the hubby says was used to seal it and make it water-tight. I'm unable to fine anything that fits the description of sealing AND being blue!

I'll check out your link and I do thank you for your help and your guidance on how to better describe what I need when I ask for help.
Old 13-06-2018, 18:02   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Ditto on the Spartite suggestion. BTW, you're supposed to reuse it again and again, not drill it out each time.
Old 13-06-2018, 19:44   #5

I saw that when I was reading up on the product, but apparently the people who previously worked on the boat did not properly use the product. It appears they did not use the petroleum jelly as directed - this stuff was NOT letting go of anything. Considering the fact that the previous owners had a marina who "serviced" the boat before we left with her and apparently forgot to fill all of the engine fluids, this does not surprise me in the least...
Old 13-06-2018, 20:08   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larshine View Post
I saw that when I was reading up on the product, but apparently the people who previously worked on the boat did not properly use the product. It appears they did not use the petroleum jelly as directed - this stuff was NOT letting go of anything. Considering the fact that the previous owners had a marina who "serviced" the boat before we left with her and apparently forgot to fill all of the engine fluids, this does not surprise me in the least...
Apparently you have had your introduction to oh so many "marine professionals", may your future boating be as free as possible of these creatures. For what it's worth I find that the more a person details his depth of knowledge and expertise the more the inverse proves to be the case.
Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 10:49   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Apparently you have had your introduction to oh so many "marine professionals", may your future boating be as free as possible of these creatures. For what it's worth I find that the more a person details his depth of knowledge and expertise the more the inverse proves to be the case.
Anyway, welcome and enjoy.
You mean the blowhards.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 23:00   #8

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I find it hard to believe that just about anyone can hang out a shingle proclaiming his/her expertise in the marine trades only to discover their lack of expertise when checking out the work performed is not of the standard one expected. Is this the same all over the world, or is it only in North America?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 23:13   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
I find it hard to believe that just about anyone can hang out a shingle proclaiming his/her expertise in the marine trades only to discover their lack of expertise when checking out the work performed is not of the standard one expected. Is this the same all over the world, or is it only in North America?
Oh, I can attest that it is definitely not limited to North America.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:53   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It's like anything else, you need to vet the provider. Not on Angie's list. Uncle John and aunt Lucy gave them a sterling review.. Visit their current job sight or their shop. Scope out their equipment. Ask for references. No legit. provider will have a problem with it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast