Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2018, 13:46   #106

Re: Black spots all over boat in marina; do I have any recourse? How to clean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
The boat is located in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Hmmm.
mystic_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 13:57   #107

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
WOW! does this really happen? I was unaware that planes dump fuel prior to landing. Is this a common practice, or does it only occur if they are experiencing some kind of emergency?
What other reasons would cause a pilot to dump fuel, If not an emergency, & WHY would they dump expensive fuel & what are the rules as to WHERE they can dump fuel? Can anyone explain this?
No, it certainly does not. Considering the cost of jet fuel these days it would be an inane practice among other things. It could be done prior to an emergency landing, but this would be an extremely rare practice. Now jet engines do produce soot, especially at take off, but that is somewhat different than dumping fuel.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 16:43   #108

Boat: S&S 40

Just clean it and get on with it...
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 16:53   #109

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
WOW! does this really happen? I was unaware that planes dump fuel prior to landing. Is this a common practice, or does it only occur if they are experiencing some kind of emergency?
What other reasons would cause a pilot to dump fuel, If not an emergency, & WHY would they dump expensive fuel & what are the rules as to WHERE they can dump fuel? Can anyone explain this?
Fuel is only dumped in an emergency situation, and as others have said, extremely rarely. In 20 plus years as a long haul flight attendant I experienced it only 4 times.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 14:07   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
No, it certainly does not. Considering the cost of jet fuel these days it would be an inane practice among other things. It could be done prior to an emergency landing, but this would be an extremely rare practice. Now jet engines do produce soot, especially at take off, but that is somewhat different than dumping fuel.
Absolutely. Not sure what we have to do to put this "airplanes dump fuel" meme to bed, it just won't die! I would also add that the amount of soot produced by a jet engine is far less than your average diesel boat engine or even a gas internal combustion engine, although they do produce some. I can tell you my airplane was always covered in grime from being parked on the tarmac next to the county bus barn, but never when parked anywhere else literally on an airport. And I spent years during my Coast Guard pilot career parking my car all day and overnight at least once a week at some of the busiest airports in the world (SFO for one) again literally under the approach/departure path and literally on airport grounds and it was never covered with black spots (or dumped fuel for that matter!). People like to blame that which they don't understand I guess.
14murs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:40   #111

Boat: Oyster 62/03

We have had something like this before and it was a guy welding on his boat nearby
Old 02-10-2018, 08:02   #112

Boat: Hunter 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighpilot View Post
Sell the boat. It’s the best option you have. If you want someone else to pay you every time something goes wrong, sailing isn’t for you. There are three options in life when stuff goes wrong. It’s your fault , it’s someone else’s fault , it’s no ones fault. And in this case it’s not the marinas fault. Yet here you are trying to get the marina to pay for your bad luck. Sailing isn’t for you.
Harsh!
rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:54   #113

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Sailorbob8599;2732042]WOW! does this really happen? I was unaware that planes dump fuel prior to landing.

If the plane has a landing weight that is lower than the take off weight, they can dump fuel. I've seen airliners dump fuel out past the Golden Gate Bridge, it looks cool. The only time this would happen is if there was a problem and they need to return to land.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 00:06   #114

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

[QUOTE=Ecos;2733468]
Quote:
WOW! does this really happen? I was unaware that planes dump fuel prior to landing.

If the plane has a landing weight that is lower than the take off weight, they can dump fuel. I've seen airliners dump fuel out past the Golden Gate Bridge, it looks cool. The only time this would happen is if there was a problem and they need to return to land.
Was on a plane once that had a major fire warning on one engine on rotate out of LAX, dumped 90 tons just off the coast before returning to sort the problem.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 00:40   #115

Boat: Bavaria 35E

welding nearby sounds like the most logical answer so far.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:15   #116
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

[QUOTE=Uncle Bob;2733946]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post

Was on a plane once that had a major fire warning on one engine on rotate out of LAX, dumped 90 tons just off the coast before returning to sort the problem.
Yep, this is one of the more common reasons to dump fuel, a long haul flight that needs to land very soon after take off! The take off weight would have been far greater than the max landing weight and you can't hang around waiting to burn the fuel weight off .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:55   #117

A few years back our harbor had a coal fired electric plant at one end and with the right wind their open coal mount would cover most boats with similar soot and whatnot. On some days it looked like someone was leaving cigarette or cigar ashes on the deck.

On the bright side this kept the demand for moorings so low that there was no wait list. Compared to next door harbor, sheltered from this soot, their waiting list was/is 15-20 years.

Later on the plant was converted to gas and our waiting list went to 3-5 years and permit fees went up as well. And there seems to be more of newer and better kept boats as well.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 13:29   #118
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Fuel costs money, so when a commercial aircraft dumps fuel, they are throwing away money. Airlines NEVER throw away money unless they are required to, and that means fuel is not dumped except when there is a safety issue, typically an emergency landing while they still have too much weight aboard to land safely. There are also other issues with environmental pollution, dumping liquid fuel over land (homes and cars) is discouraged because people will sue for damages. Dumping it over water is preferred.

And in all cases--that's liquid fuel. It doesn't make black spots. Black spots are soot, caused by aircraft setting their fuel mixtures to "rich" for maximum power during takeoff and landing. That leaves excess fuel, not fully combusted, in the form of soot coming out the back end.

A lot of boaters who have never tied up next to an airport get this same rude surprise. And black streaks down the side of the hull, where soot runs off with rain runoff.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 15:06   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

F-111 and I’m sure some others can ignite the dumped fuel with their afterburner
https://youtu.be/WpPEdOMSIgQ
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 15:23   #120

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Awesome video. Thanks!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, dirt, pollution, soot