Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2022, 17:05   #76

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Re: BIOSECURITY - Only half the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
If you have a marina spot you can tarp the boat with a black underwater tarp. It does work to some extent.
Some folks add a drop of bleach inside the tarp, but that's perhaps not better than the soft antifouling.

Regarding your push against soft antifoulings. Recreational boating is minute in terms of underwater surface area when you compare it to commercial shipping.
Funny enough it's this small area which has to use less and less efficient antifoulings, while the big guys still have products which are supposed to be effective up to 90 months.
Feels like you are really barking up the wrong tree to some extend.

There should be much more pressure to come up with solutions to the commercial sector which would be usable as well on the recreational side.
The big guys buy the bulk of antifouling and that's where the research needs to be.

Coppercoat works for some but is still unaffordable for many cruisers. Not everybody cruises in boats several 100000€ worth...

If there are better solutions I'd gladly change for a better solution.

Same applies btw. to forcing people into marinas instead of allowing them to anchor.
It's primarily a way to cash in for communities and marina holdings, veiled under a thin green washing cloth.
I am copper coated and my boat is cheap lower end my friends boat is being copper coated as it’s cheaper! Ok this year it’s not, but he won’t be out of the water again next year for a new coat, probably not the year after either.
Old 17-10-2022, 19:05   #77

The Great Lakes system is mentioned in the maritime news today as a victim of ballast water borne marine critters of every type from Tench to plankton to invasive shellfish.
Old 17-10-2022, 19:15   #78

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

In reply to the OP's question, the silicon anti-foulings must be an alternative, you'd have to think. The https://sea-speed.com/ referred to is the original one, but there are others now too (I'm thinking 'fluoropolymer foul release' coating, so Intersleek's products, for example). Long lasting, non-polluting, and expensive. This is what I am considering, the next time around.
Old 17-10-2022, 19:42   #79

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_L View Post
In reply to the OP's question, the silicon anti-foulings must be an alternative, you'd have to think. The https://sea-speed.com/ referred to is the original one, but there are others now too (I'm thinking 'fluoropolymer foul release' coating, so Intersleek's products, for example). Long lasting, non-polluting, and expensive. This is what I am considering, the next time around.
I like the sound of their products however I would like to hear from a number of users prior to trying it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 17-10-2022, 20:15   #80

Boat: Ocean Spirit 34 - Catamaran

I would like to thank dabizi and kit_L for addressing my original questions. I will do some research into these products.
Old 17-10-2022, 22:18   #81

Boat: Jarkan 12.5 42 feet

One solution probably not available to all is the one I use. I put Hard racing antifouling on the bottom and have a diver wipe off the slime regularly. I have managed to delay slipping for 3 years so not much paint is taken off. When slipped and repainted the yard has all the correct containment gear so very little goes in the water.
Old 18-10-2022, 00:37   #82
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Closed.

In the last 18 hours, another 26 posts have been deleted for off topic and political content while 17 posts have been relevant and therefore remain. I guess the previous mod requests to keep the content related to OP was either not understood or ignored. A big thank you for those who remained on topic but unfortunately it isn’t practical to keep the thread open with the large number of off-topic posts.

As much as general pollution, environmental protection, population numbers and geopolitical aspects are interesting topics, they are best kept for other social media sites. CF is a discussion board for recreational boating and cruising activities.

Your assistance in keeping CF a friendly place to visit and to discuss boating stuff is appreciated.

The community rules can be read here
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Closed Thread

Tags
security