Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 11:25   #16

Re: Bimini top out of aluminum ?????

Check out Atlantic Towers and Hard To Top for ideas.
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:45   #17

Boat: Cal 31 sloop

Noisy is a big factor. So are dents! Thin aluminum will dent badly. If I were building a hard dodger or bimini I would use 1/8 high density polyethylene (AKA Starboard another mentioned.) If you are good with fiberglass, then I would use it over foam core for the light weight. The 1/8" starboard will weight less than your aluminum at .6lb /sq ft. It is extremely durable. One caveat; it expands much more than most materials with increasing temperature. You neet to not constrain it by your mounting. e.g. Tight fastening only on the center line, let the edges slide some. Read about it online. I have built several items (cockpit seat structures, dinghy mounting system, etc.) for my boats with it. Al worked great! You can also "weld" the poly. You can screw it together with screws too.
thudbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:57   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380

PO had one made for our L380 from 3/16 alloy. We have no heat problem even in the tropics. It does seem very heavy though. We get some condensation underneath. After 10+ years the paint is lifting with corrosion under. Obviously we can walk anywhere on it. It's contoured from sheet & welded tabbed to original frame with extra anchoring on the frame. We live aboard and I always consider ways to make a Bimini from hard solar panels as you can never have too much solar.
MikeTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:13   #19

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
Noisy in the rain...
We had an old Land Rover, aluminium roof. It had a 2nd alum'n roof skin screwed to original roof ribs. Air flowed between the two layers and kept things cool(er). This might work with two thin skins and stiffen up the whole thing depending on rib size/spacing.
I was just thinking of the tropical roof on the landrover s3 (anout 1978) they had 2 skins so a aluminium bimini and solar panels would cut the heat down ,, ours did (australian heat no air con ) the noise i dont believe would be any worse as we have 2 x 120watt solar paneles above out canvas bimini and the noise is not that bad ,, my vote would be give it a crack ,,, you may be on to some thing ,,, i think i will try next year when my canvas falls apart for the 25th time ,,

Send some pics , Great post !
Old 07-03-2018, 12:23   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I think I would opt for 1/8" thick aluminum panels, have them anodized and rivet them together. No paint, add solar panels instead.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:37   #21
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

I replaced the canvas Bimini on my Lagoon 470 with azek type 1/2"
pvc panels. Finished size was 14*9'

20% the cost of starboard
Used existing frame
Can be glued
Available at lumber stores
Easily machined
Reasonably light
Can now walk on Bimini
can be special ordered in long lengths
Basic carpentry and cabinet making skills help as well as a familiarity with McMaster Carr
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 13:04   #22

Boat: Endurance 35,

I put a 120 sq ft African Queen style 1/16 inch aluminum top on my 17 ft welded aluminum runabout 12 years ago and my biggest complaint is that it gets condensation under it which becomes rain when underway - I put it on to stay dry so defeats the purpose. Rigid foam insulation would solve the problem but I am not sure how to attach it as I carry lumber and stuff up there causing a fair amount of flexing- not something you would have to worry about. I attached it to 1 1/4 inch al. pipe with pop rivets. Pounding to weather at 25 knots into 20 knots of wind and 2 foot chop the pop rivets pull through the sheet. Now that it is old welding it to the frame is out of the question so have to keep going up in rivet size.
Nanamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 13:26   #23

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I would use polypropylene honeycomb with a layer of chopped strand on the top and bottom. Very light, rigid . You can only bolt though it don’t try and use screws. My friend rebuild his powerboat interior and a swim step out of it and 2 years later the swimstep still can take a couple of persons with no issues. I used it on a rudder rebuild and covered it with the required woven Matt and my rudder is still solid
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 13:58   #24

Boat: Hunter 30

I looked into using interlocking panels of aluminum roofing that had baked on paint finish in various colors. The panels interlocked and were 3 by 12 ft. To do my 9 by 9 bimini would cost about $550. I have a 30ft boat and though the weight would be too top heavy with my solar panel.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 14:04   #25

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
I replaced the canvas Bimini on my Lagoon 470 with azek type 1/2"
pvc panels. Finished size was 14*9'

20% the cost of starboard
Used existing frame
Can be glued
Available at lumber stores
Easily machined
Reasonably light
Can now walk on Bimini
can be special ordered in long lengths
Basic carpentry and cabinet making skills help as well as a familiarity with McMaster Carr

PVC trim board is by far the best solution I've seen for this. You'll love your new top.

Matt
Old 07-03-2018, 14:06   #26

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Year's ago, i owned a 37 ft. Cutter, that i wished to add a dodger, the cost of installing one professionally was prohibitive, i located a set of S.S. bows at a boat consignment store and cut them down to fit, the canvas shop wanted $ 3,000 to cover the bows, so i purchased a 4x8x1/16 sheet of aluminium and riveted it to the bows, the unit was strong enough to stand on, as the top was curved, i then had the canvas shop fabricate the Sunbrella enclosure with Isinglass windows for considerably less money, i didn't paint the top, but did insulate underneath.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 16:29   #27

With properly prepared aluminum (i.e. chemical conversion coating) and using aircraft primer and top coat, it should last a very long time. Our flying club has a 1957 Cessna 182 with original paint.
Dan_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 17:08   #28

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

I used starboard but I would like AL. I would powdercoat it instead of paint or anodizing. As previously noted I expect it would be pretty noisy in the rain, but hey a rainy day on the Cat, still better than a dry day at work!
Old 07-03-2018, 17:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_K View Post
With properly prepared aluminum (i.e. chemical conversion coating) and using aircraft primer and top coat, it should last a very long time. Our flying club has a 1957 Cessna 182 with original paint.
Yeah, AFAIK airplanes dont ply the saltwater seas. Take a look at the bottom several feet of many boat masts , properly prepared, acid etched, chromate prime, they still often bubble up fast.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 19:36   #30

Boat: Cloud Catamaran, Cloud 9, 10.6M, Rainbow Dreaming

I was facing the same dilemma with the canvas needing frequent replacements on my Cloud 9 cat.
I replaced the canvas with a aluminium top no insulation and the top does get a bit warm. The new top is strong enough to walk on and hold two solar panels and is a great water catchment also providing a secure hand hold. The whole thing weighs about 100kg and cost about $6000, AUD the canvas was going to cost $4000 so the added cost was made up fairly quickly all and all I have no regrets
Michael s/v Rainbow Dreaming
mjcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, bimini