Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2008, 04:18   #1

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Bimini Cost?

I have an older boat, 30' Morgan OI with a recently added dodger. After cooking in the sun and soaking in the rain I've decided to add a bimini with a connector. The ball park price I was told is $2000...seems high? Yes/no?

[I am aware of what the letters for B.O.A.T. really stand for 'bring out another thousand' ]

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 04:24   #2

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Make your own. Sewing a bimini is a piece of cake compared to a dodger. Check out Sailrite.com.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 05:11   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 8 boats, to many to name
Biminis can cost a lot depending on how you want them made. Stainless steel tubing is more expensive than aluminum tubing for starters. How large an area you want to cover also contributes to the cost. You might want to measure your cockpit width and see if some of the off the shelf tops will work for you. You can find them at discount boat stores as well as West Marine. Good Luck
edboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 05:19   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
1500 to 2000 depending on where you are. I have found S. Florida cheaper than up North, the worst quotes I ever got were in Annapolis.
Old 30-04-2008, 05:40   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I put a bimini on Frolic, 30ft. Columbia. It zipped to the back of the dodger. At the rear I ran an expandable tube through it, and tied it off to the backstay. Then strapped the ends to the stern pulpit. It was stable, and covered the whole cockpit.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 05:58   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
imagine,

That's called a dodger extension, not a bimini. I've got one on my CS36, unfortunately it has to be taken down when sailing as the mainsheet in just forward of the pedestal. A dodger extension can flop allover in winds as there are no rails to keep it rigid.
Old 30-04-2008, 07:16   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Vasco,

You are correct a framed canvas will be more sturdy. I did use the extension all the way from S.F. to Mexico, and back. Mostly in big wind there is cloud cover too, so I just unzipped it, and furled it on the extended tube. Being able to quickly furl the cloth was a great addition to night sailing also.

My framed bimini on the cat of course was blown away once while at anchor. The previous owner only screwed down the fittings. It was blowing about 60knots, and I had to take a knife to the cloth to get the frame down. The boom is what kept it from being blown away. Also the P.O. ran the frame through the canvas. I have since through bolted everything, and laced the new cloth to the frame. Now it is just a simple slice to the inexpensive lace.

My main sheet ran through the dodger along the deck, and to it's winch under the dodger, so the sheet was not an issue for Frolic.

My description of the extension on Frolic was a suggestion to get around the cost of the $2,000.00 appraisal. Also the advantage of easily removing the cloth is something to think about. When the cloth is removed it is much simpler to get around on a 30footer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FULL SAIL 1.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	3458  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 07:48   #8

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
Bimini Costs

I paid closer to 3k for mine, but I had it made with 1 1/4" bars (my family and I are big people and will be hanging on it, plus I want to mount solar panels). It added about $800 to the cost for the larger pipes.

The cockpit on the Pearson 424's is gigantic, so it should be less for a normal sized one.
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 08:25   #9

Boat: Beneteau 456
Those guys think they are Surgeons...!

I think that of all the things that a boat needs. The most OUTRAGEOUS AND ABSURDLY EXPENSIVE IS CANVAS WORK. Those guys think they are surgeons.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 08:33   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Quote:
Originally Posted by avazquez View Post
I think that of all the things that a boat needs. The most OUTRAGEOUS AND ABSURDLY EXPENSIVE IS CANVAS WORK. Those guys think they are surgeons.
A good size bimini on a 30-something footer will take about 30 hours to measure cut and build, plus the cost of the materiels, thats only about $50 an hour, for skilled craftspeople thats not at all outrageous.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 08:39   #11

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhosyn Mor View Post
A good size bimini on a 30-something footer will take about 30 hours to measure cut and build, plus the cost of the materiels, thats only about $50 an hour, for skilled craftspeople thats not at all outrageous.

$50.00 an hour. Way to much in my opinion. But if there are people willing to pay West Marine prices then we all end up paying outrageous amounts of money just because its "marine". Think of the same sized canvas for your patio at home. Would you be willing to pay that rate??
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 09:54   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Patio awning 4 feet by 5 feet ( about the size of a bimini) standard size, not custom fitted, without poles is about $1,000. If you want custom colors its extra. A canvas marine shop will come down and custom fit to your boat.
Patio awning 10x 9 retractable ( about the same size as my 45 footer used) 1700
plus fitting- and you do all the measuring......
SunSetter Retractable Patio Awnings - Motorized Retractable PRO Awning Package Shop, Find and Buy at ComfortChannel.com.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 10:30   #13

The price sounds about right. However you'll save a ton of $$$ if you do it yourself, it's not rocket science. There are plenty of books out there with instructions, diagrams etc, visit your local library. You can make patterns or simply practice making the real thing by going to your local frabric store and buying the cheapest nastiest stuff they have for a a buck or two a meter, practice until you get it right, you'll save a bundle.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 14:55   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Seriously: Sunbrella, Fabrics, Sailcloth, Canvas and Sail Hardware. They have packages INCLUDING the bows. $705. Add the machine and some minor supplies, and you are at $1500. That's a $500 savings AND you have a sewing machine. You can keep it for your next project, or sell it.

Sailrite is AWESOME on support & how-to.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 21:51   #15

Boat: Tayana FD-12
I've meet a few cruisers that have solar panels instead of bimini. Unfortunately, that was after I have already built mine.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini