Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2005, 04:11   #16

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
OK, Kirby...it's now time to decide just how serious you want to be about pumping the bilge. (Note the sign-off from Kai-Nui; do you really want to be that scared...? <g>)

Yes, you should install a 2nd, dedicated discharge line, as direct, short & nonconvoluted a hose run as you can. The reason is of course the rationale for the 2nd hicap pump in the first place: you suddenly discover your standard bilge pump is not staying ahead of flooding, whatever its source. At that instant, you want the hicap pump to actually BE a hicap pump. Moreover, you probably do not want to give up the manual pump's effectiveness by filling its discharge line. Also, each check valve you might add to an existing discharge line provides increased flow restriction. Take a good look at a 1.5" check valve and thing about the flow of a liquid. Again, ask yourself why you are adding the hicap pump.

I think you will find the hicap pump has a 2" discharge, so your first issue will be whether to reduce that to a smaller diameter. Adding an anti-siphon high up for a 2nd, dedicated hicap discharge line will add flow restriction, too - it isn't a perfect world and I don't mean to be painting a black vs. white choice. But you have a very nice boat that's capable of some serious cruising, so think about her future and not just the period you own her. We sail short-handed (husband & wife) offshore, and for me there's no real choice here: do I want it to LOOK like I have max pumping capacity for the pumps installed, or do I truly want it. Be honest with yourself, think about your crew and your plans, and perhaps running that dedicated discharge line won't seem like such a big deal.

Jack
Old 04-12-2005, 06:35   #17

Kirby.

Also to note. Providing that your electrical system has enough voltage/amperage to add in another pump?

If you have enough to go around. Then I also advise that you add another pump. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be bailing out water with a bucket/pail.

And make sure what you're buying has good ratings etc. etc. . And if you also have boating friends that own sailboats. Ask them also for advice. Advice is always welcomed in my camp!!
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:18   #18
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I have for primary pump a Rule 2000 with an Ultra Jr Switch.
it has a 1 1/8" discharge hose going aft to through hole under the cockpit.

Secondary pumps is Rule 3700 with another Ultra Jr. switch.
The float swithc is mounted a few inches higher on this one.
The discharge hose is 1 1/2" and runs parallel to the first one.
This pump is wired straight to the house bank with a fuse, but by passes the 12 V panel.

A manual Whale Gusher, (I think it is called) is mounted in the cockpit. The pick-up hose is 1 1/2 with a mesh wire mounted with a hose clamp to keep debris away from the pump.

Also have a small electric "sump pump" that picks up the last half a gallon that the bilge pumps can't get out.
This pump discharges into the head and is operated with a push button in the head area.

Also have 2 big red wanring lights in the cockpit that comes on whenever one of the electrip bilgepumps are running.
If they both come on at the same time, there is a BIG leak....;-)
Old 04-12-2005, 13:53   #19
Kai Nui

Jack, I am not sure if I should feel insulted or not
Scared, no. My setup in a nutshell is one primary pump, with a backup for convenience, one secondary, and one multipurpose multi function pump. Seems reasonable for a 40' boat with a deep bilge.
As for my signoff, this comes from a VERY long night spent bailing by bucket in 20' seas, on a dangerous stretch of coast. Water up to my ass (literally). Since that incident, I have paid very close attention to 3 things: the maintenance of the primary system. The backup system, and spares. Having had all 3 become issues in that trip.
Old 04-12-2005, 15:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Would like to hear that Story Kai Nui. want to share all that happend, went wrong, lessons learned etc etc.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 17:53   #21
Kai Nui

I posted it in the "Don't want your name here" thread. What I did not mention is this was my wife's first sail. (and she still sails with me) The lesson learned is the signature below.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump