Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 17:17   #1

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Bilge pump plumbing

Has anyone ever added a one way valve to the bilge pump discharge line to stop flow back into the Bilge? I'm thinking about it to get it all up and out.
Old 01-01-2016, 17:30   #2

Boat: tayana custom 58
Re: Bilge pump plumbing

hi
yes i recently added a one way valve in the exit line. The thing is that the valves leak a bit and releases the water back into the bilge and your pump starts again and again. The way i solved the problem was raising the auto switch up for one inch above the pump water inlet. Except some bilge water on auto. If you want it dry get a bucket.
monus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:12   #3

Thanks Monus I was wondering about it. I have read online that the valves get clogged and end up not working. But I want a drier bilge then I have now. I was also thinking a loop high enough to not let the qwater back flow into the bilge would work as well.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:39   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

backflow is negligible unless you have a cracked hose.
pumping the bilge water UP and out often does not work, as pump must work harder to do that which it needs to accomplish.
instead of reinventing wheels, just make sure water exits boat efficiently without extra parts and successfully. that is all that counts.
wait until you NEED to do htis and pump wont push the water out the boat. then you have issues.

KEEP IT SIMPLE always works.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:56   #5

Thank You Zeehag
The problem is the pump pushes the bilge water to the stern. After it shuts down the water back flows and the pump kicks on again because there is so much left in the tubing it raises the float. It kicks on evacuates what's there and kicks off. Back flows and kicks on again never getting rid of all the water. It's a never ending loop. So I thought a one way valve might be the way to go.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:35   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

reroute the hose with a loop in it so water stays in loop, not back flow so much.
my 2200 and 2000 gph pumps push water out well and far-but only one has an auto switch. i have 2 as i have deep bilges.
my otto switch is lower than my assigned pump, and a too late noisemaker on it for water level below cabin sole. only heard that damnable scream one time automatic. was enough.
once my under engine pump is done pumping, there is still water in my bilges, but mine are wet ones. i keep under engine pump in a plastic collander to strain out stuff that falls into bilges. (hair, stuff)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:17   #7

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Small shop vacuum cleaner?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:31   #8

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Zee must have a nice deep sump. I envy that. My low spot in the bilge is irritatingly flat. A regular centrifical bilge pump would leave more than a gallon slopping around down there. The added bit in the hose made just that much more. The boat had a check valve on it when I got it but it stuck closed once so I removed it. I put in one of these: Whale Marine - Products

With the pump mounted up out of the bilge and a box type pick up : Strumboxes - 1" or 1-1/2" Hose - Whale | Fisheries Supply

It will suck it right down to almost nothing. This pump is not cheap but it will run dry with out damage and almost acts like a low powered wet vac . I'm much happier now.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:41   #9

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

I added a diaphragm pump to my bilge. It will pump the bilge dry, with no back flow.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 16:17   #10

Boat: Mason 44

zeehag,

I like your idea of a loop.

Been struggling with the high capacity pumps for sometime. There was a Y to connect 2 pumps to one outlet.

During a test, both pumps were screaming with no water coming out. Found a leak at the Y joints. Not a good thing to find out when the boat is sinking.

Will be adding another stern outlet to make it a dedicated one pump one outlet.

Thanks for the tip.

Eric
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 15:18   #11

Thanks everyone. I just bit the bullet and bought a one way valve yesterday at the local parts shark store. You know them by their legal name West Marine. 28 bucks for that little thing. I installed it and for now it keeps the bilge from getting back flow. Zee I think your right and in the future I need to add a loop or maybe even two before it goes to the back of my boat.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, plumbing