Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2014, 09:03   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
beveled edge alternative for fiberglass layup

I have replaced the delaminated core in my rudder and am preparing to re-glass the skin. In two spots, it is not possible to bevel the edges of the repair to 12 to 1 because of the proximity to the edge of the rudder. Is it possible to create a bevel on the inside of the repair area with epoxy thickened with high density filler and subsequently build the layers of glass over that epoxy bevel?
Old 23-04-2014, 09:19   #2

Re: beveled edge alternative for fiberglass layup

how much bevel can you get? What are you filling the rudder with? 12:1 may not be necessary. The bevel is to allow a specified "glue contact area" , The bevel itself is not really necessary except to make the repair smooth right?, on the inside of the rudder you dont necesarily need it smooth surface.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 09:31   #3

Cheechacko,

I removed damaged core material(heat delamination) and replaced the void with 16 lb. high density pourable foam in the repair area. I then sealed the sculptured core with thickened epoxy. The bevel is approximately 7/8" to 1 " at the edges of the repair. I am re-glassing the void (over the new core) with 1708 bi-axial cloth. I then plan on re-glassing the entire rudder (over the repaired areas) with 1708 biaxial and finishing with three coats of West System barrier coat. My concern is whether a lesser bevel will retain the structural integrity of the repair, ergo, an extended bevel on the inside of the repair with thickened epoxy. Does that make sense?
Old 23-04-2014, 09:37   #4

Well... there are better glass people on here , hopefully they will respond, but if you are glassing over all of it I would go forward with your plan if it was mine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 09:56   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

You will be fine without needing to try to form an internal bevel. Particularly since you are putting a new skin over the entire rudder anyway. I think you can just fair over the foam repair without putting the extra glass there - the new rudder skin will be enough. Unless you need to bring that area up to the original laminate. Then go ahead with the glass and don't worry about a large bevel - just make it what you can in those two areas.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are doing.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:23   #6

Mark,
Your understanding is exactly correct. I will, however, build up the void left by the old skin(removed) with new glass and then fair smoothly. My biggest concerns are the physical forces created on the rudder blade and the integrity of the repair. This has been a very labor intensive job/time consuming from the start and I want to get it right.

Tags
fiberglass, layup