Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 14:37   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: My 3 Freedoms 28 35 and 44 Cat Ketches
Beta marine engine cost

Amazing how difficult it is to find an approximate cost of a basic beta marine 30 hp. I have been quoted 12500 in TX and seen 8900 online in CA. Any input from a recent purchase will be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-12-2018, 14:45   #2
CPO

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 35
Re: Beta marine engine cost

You don't have the required security clearance

I have the same issue. I did manage to get a quote for 12,600 USD in N. Carolina at an authorized dealer (30hp). Same problem with Yanmar. I don't understand why it is such a state secret. Cheers.
CPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 16:02   #3

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Depends. What gear if any? What control panel if any? What mounts and brackets? Wire harness? Flexible coupling? Freight? Tax?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 17:42   #4

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Depends. What gear if any? What control panel if any? What mounts and brackets? Wire harness? Flexible coupling? Freight? Tax?

Agree. It's about the options available. Lots to choose from (all of the above plus high output alternator choices, high rise manifolds that are needed for some installations, transmission choices, etc.)
Great engines. Smooth and quiet.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 19:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Just the basic engine supplied complete with a heat exchanger and header tank, water cooled exhaust manifold, fresh and sea water pumps, cast injection bend, mechanical fuel lift pump, fuel and oil filters, heavy duty bearers, sump pump, flywheel with heavy inertia ring for super smooth running at low rpm, flywheel housing, special quiet air intake filter, 12 volt starter, 65 amp battery charging alternator, shutdown solenoid energised to stop, control panel "ABV"; a 3m interconnection cable with multi pin plug and sockets to engine harness.
Includes Gearbox with nominal 2:1 reduction, heavy duty engine feet with flexible mountings, flexible coupling disc on gearbox, "Morse" type end fittings for speed and gear control, engine test certificate, operators manual. Red paint and packed on skid base with a 3 year "Self Service" warranty.
rpeebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:35   #6
CPO

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 35

Instead of non answers (depends on ..........) how about definitive answers that list the basic engine price along with all of the add-ons/options? A price list? You know, like the one the dealers have!
CPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:54   #7

There is no transparency in engine prices. It's whatever the dealer wants to quote on a particular date and time. Shop around, there will be HUGE differences in price.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeebles View Post
Just the basic engine supplied complete with a heat exchanger and header tank, water cooled exhaust manifold, fresh and sea water pumps, cast injection bend, mechanical fuel lift pump, fuel and oil filters, heavy duty bearers, sump pump, flywheel with heavy inertia ring for super smooth running at low rpm, flywheel housing, special quiet air intake filter, 12 volt starter, 65 amp battery charging alternator, shutdown solenoid energised to stop, control panel "ABV"; a 3m interconnection cable with multi pin plug and sockets to engine harness.
Includes Gearbox with nominal 2:1 reduction, heavy duty engine feet with flexible mountings, flexible coupling disc on gearbox, "Morse" type end fittings for speed and gear control, engine test certificate, operators manual. Red paint and packed on skid base with a 3 year "Self Service" warranty.
What engine?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:38   #9
Marine Service Provider

Beta 30. That is a direct quote from a dealer website that actually lists prices. That description is for a basic 30 hp that they list for $8930. It will cost you to find out from me who that dealer is ....
rpeebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:52   #10

Come on, share...... We are all in the same boat....
skimatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:55   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeebles View Post
Beta 30. That is a direct quote from a dealer website that actually lists prices. That description is for a basic 30 hp that they list for $8930. It will cost you to find out from me who that dealer is ....

I got a Beta 60 with a double PTO and a ZF25A hydraulic transmission in 2011. The cost to get it to me was $12,000 Cdn. at that time.

Please note that the Canadian dollars was close to or better than par at that time and drove my decision.

I craned it into my boat and did all subsequent fabrications (there were a few) and installations. That took some time, but it runs like a charm.

Shop around is good advice. To my mind, a lot of the cost of an engine replacement is all the extras that are only revealed once the beast is aboard. "Drop-in replacement" is like "blind date": it could work out, but not without foreseeable difficulties. Good luck in the quest. https://alchemy2009.blogspot.com/201...g-hatches.html
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:57   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Well what I can share is I just complete my commissioning of a Beta 50 with tranny and v-drive. RS Marine in Long Beach, CA did all of the work, turn key from removal of old, painting the bilges and did a fantastic job. Here is the exact quote although maybe not specific to your needs it was my reality and will give you an idea. And by the way couldn't be happier to get that old leaky noisy perkins out of this. This new motor is amazing and just purrrrrs

Beta 50 19,518
Install 4,000
Install Material 3,000
Re-Insulate 1,100
Perkins credit <1,500>
Total 26,118

I did need to haul the boat and put in a new shaft and re-prop because the new Beta set up required a right hand turn prop. That was another bunch of boat bucks. All in I'm at about $30K for a whole new drive train. If you are handy and have the time to do it your self you can of course save the labor.
Good luck,
CR
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:08   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimatsu View Post
Come on, share...... We are all in the same boat....
Search "marine man san diego" you're welcome.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:13   #14

Basic Beta 30 is 12 grand Canadian c/w tranny. Re & re assuming no complications about 5 grand.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:47   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 31

We purchased a Beta 25 last year. Basic engine was about $8500 US. Options, replacing shaft, cutlass, prop and entire exhaust system, with labor, ran the cost to over $20,000. We were disappointed with the cost and would have used a different installer had not the old engine failed to the point of not running. This was the first install of a Beta for this shop (they just got the dealership.

If you get a new prop, be sure it is the correct pitch. Ours was not. The prop shop would not replace the prop, as we had used it (once to test it), so we lost a couple weeks of the summer waiting for the re-pitch. Engine mounts had to be resized and adapted to the engine bed.

The new engine runs great. Transmission seems to be smoother and more durable than the old, very fragile, ZF-10.

We noticed that the price differences between the next engine size up is not all that great, so get the extra power if you can. Also, Betas use the Kubota small tractor block, and Kubota sells many parts at a fraction what Beta charges.

Engine is easier to maintain, though not as easy as we had hoped. Less frequent oil/trans fluid changes. Better fuel use. The oil dipstick is on the side facing backward and our engine box is narrow. Also, the new shift and throttle cables did not attach properly to our old steering pedestal causing the levers to work backwards from the usual way. A custom part had to be fabricated to allow the levers to work normally at considerable expense. Exhaust riser was too tall and had to be custom modified. Your old prop shaft may not fit. In addition, the coolant pressure cap on the engine was not the correct temperature and caused more delays to get the new cap and test the cooling system.

Stanley at Beta Marine US was helpful when we called him. Most of the issues were not his fault.

Sorry to whine, but shop around for installers in your area if you can. Send them photos of your entire power system back to the transom and the steering pedestal, along with exact measurements of the engine compartment back to the transom so they know what is required when they quote.

Good luck. A new mill is a joy and can make an old boat much more attractive at sale time.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta marine, engine, marine