Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 10:28   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Best way to preserve open cans of paint on board?

I am going to need to carry paint with me, because with a steel boat, I've found that no matter how well I prep, the paint will never stick to the primer absolutely perfectly and is prone to scuffs and scrapes. So I'm planning on touching it up as I go. Does anyone have any advice on how best to preserve the quality of open cans of paint on board? Does a Ziplock bag help? Maybe an airtight Tupperware container of some form? (This may also be good because I don't want any paint spills in my bilges). Should I be trying to store it in the area of the boat with the least temperature swings, if that's even possible?
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Best way to preserve open cans of paint on board?

Store the open cans upside down. Any tiny crack that would normally allow air in gets sealed with dry paint. Yeah, do make an allowance for your brother-in-law not tamping the top down with a rubber mallet before up-ending it.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:09   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I have found that aside from getting a nice tight seal on the open can, temperature is next biggest factor. Try to keep it between 60-85 F. And give it a shake every now and then.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Store the open cans upside down. Any tiny crack that would normally allow air in gets sealed with dry paint. Yeah, do make an allowance for your brother-in-law not tamping the top down with a rubber mallet before up-ending it.
Agreed, with one more step. cover the top of the can loosely with plastic wrap BEFORE putting the lid on. This keeps the lid from becoming a mess and makes it easier to get the lid on and off and for it to seal properly.

Also, try to keep the groove on the can clean. Thoroughly remove paint from the lip with a brush (as soon as you pour it), and give it a good wipe with a rag. If both the groove and the lid are always clean they will seal together properly.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 16:25   #5

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Steel boat? Small air compressor and a needle gun will take care of surface prep
Old 09-11-2020, 16:39   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Poly drain pipe and fittings are your best friends when it comes to storing painting and glueing stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20201110103556.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	226673  
Old 10-11-2020, 08:31   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

This is what we use:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...e?item=53Z2101

It is also available in the US under a different name - just look for "Bloxygen"
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:02   #8

Two-part polyurethane paints seem much more able to withstand extended storage in a partially-used can. I've learned to like 'em.
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:06   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

My best results have been to do the upside down thing. Make really, really sure the lid is on tight AND the can isn't stored where it might rust through. You can guess how I know and do the Bloxygen thing with one variation.

Last time I checked bloxygen was really expensive and I read on a wood working forum that you could buy a can of dust blower used for cleaning cameras, electronics and such. Seemed to work OK.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Agreed, with one more step. cover the top of the can loosely with plastic wrap BEFORE putting the lid on. This keeps the lid from becoming a mess and makes it easier to get the lid on and off and for it to seal properly.

Also, try to keep the groove on the can clean. Thoroughly remove paint from the lip with a brush (as soon as you pour it), and give it a good wipe with a rag. If both the groove and the lid are always clean they will seal together properly.

What Shrew said. He does what I do.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:16   #11

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Learning from storing bottom paint that was purchased on sale a few months prior to use, I flip the paint every couple of weeks. As previously mentioned, it seals the top and keeps the paint from settling. But, metal cans are rust havens. Try to store in plastic containers with easy openers but have good UV protection.

I have spray cans that have rotted and blew its contents in a dock locker. Not pretty. Now, I take vaseline or some type of protectant to prevent rusting.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:18   #12

Boat: Pearson 10M

I fill the air space in the can with propane. It’s heavier than air so it displaces the oxygen in the can.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:46   #13

Boat: Tartan 3800

At home I use widemouth pint mason jars to store touch up paint. They are inexpensive, have an airtight seal, are easy to open even when there is paint on the sealing surface (just be sure there's none on the threads), and have a large enough opening to be easy to fill and to paint from with a 2" brush.

Aboard I would overpack them with a cardboard box or bubble wrap or something to guard against breakage.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:03   #14

Boat: Westsail, 32, CAN DO

Bloxygen - Inert Gas Preservative

www.bloxygen.com
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:44   #15

Boat: Island Packet 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

To keep the groove on the can clean, I always pierce that groove a couple of times with a tiny screwdriver so that any paint, or varnish, or anything else, will
flow back into the container, helps keep down on that mess.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint