Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 21:00   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
Best way to peel off some deck laminate

Hi everyone,

When cutting away a panel of deck laminate (to ultimately re-attach it to the core material underneath) is there an easy way to get a nice bevel on both the removed section and the adjacent, bordering laminate?

I've done this job before on another boat using a circular saw set to the laminate's depth to cut away the problem section. Using sanders to make the bevel, particularly on the bordering laminate that is still attached, seemed really clumsy.

I'm thinking a router with a really wide bevel bit could take the place of the circular saw but will make a ridiculous mess...

Anyone have any other ideas? This isn't cosmetic, btw, its all getting a fresh layer of glass and getting covered with teak.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 21:44   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Best way to peel off some deck laminate

I used a cordless circular saw preset to the correct depth to cut the laminate in a recent job. As for the bevel - assuming that your not intending to simply cut and shut it - in theory it should be 12:1 which nothing will do automatically. I use a 4" disk grinder with either a flap or carbide disk of 24 grit. Fast but extremely messy, although I have seen a setup where a vacuum hose was rigged to the grinder that allowed most of the dust to be immediately sucked up.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 00:00   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
The most precise way, is to make a jig for the tool being used, so that it cuts a precise bevel every time. Such is what we in fact used, on a router with a wide bit, in order to cut precise bevels in the edges of sheets of 3mm plywood, in order to prepare them to be scarfed together.

Barring a jig, take a protractor, & mark out, on the surface to be machined, a line where the bevel is to be machined to. Thus, with a steady hand, you end up with a fairly clean & precise mating surface.

One other tool, which is handy for machining bevels, is a power planer. As you can, again, fabricate a simple "jig" for it, in order to cut precise bevels. And, given it's cutting width, you can cut bevels to a decent depth. Using a tool, which is reasonably compact package.

Also, these Makita USA - Tool Details - 9031 can be very handy, in terms of getting into places which a lot of other tools can't, or can't be manuvered well enough to do the job.
Just use caution with them, as they have a learning curve akin to a Dremel Tool (SIC).

For faster scarfing:

http://www.amazon.com/WEST-SYSTEM-We.../dp/B003E1WK46

Using West's Scarffer tool.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 06:21   #4

Thanks for the responses guys.

If I'm understanding that scarfing tool correctly, you need the part upright, off the boat, to scarf it, so it wouldn't make the scarfs on the bordering material that remains on the boat, yeah?

Also, regarding 12:1, that sounds like a lot, it seems I could get away with a bit less since it'll be bonded to the plywood core on the bottom, and covered with a new top skin over the repair? Curious what people think...
Old 13-10-2015, 11:16   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

12:1 is barely enough; that's only ~1" wide on 3/32" thick laminate.

I wouldn't try to use a scarphing tool, but rather a disc grinder.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 13:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Thanks for the responses guys.

If I'm understanding that scarfing tool correctly, you need the part upright, off the boat, to scarf it, so it wouldn't make the scarfs on the bordering material that remains on the boat, yeah?

Also, regarding 12:1, that sounds like a lot, it seems I could get away with a bit less since it'll be bonded to the plywood core on the bottom, and covered with a new top skin over the repair? Curious what people think...
I used the old skin on my anchor well repair. It required extensive repair, but I figured it had the shape including the curvature of the deck. I don't have a photo of the bevel width, but I ground an approximately 1/4" thick deck to 2" either side. I did this by putting the laminate back in place "as cut" and then grinding the bevel in place immediately prior to tying it all back together. This is about 8:1, but I didn't want to extend past the non skid area and I used epoxy for the the repair so I'm confident it will hold up.

Grinding is dusty, but is quick and easy enough to do.

Old 13-10-2015, 13:59   #7

I still don't understand why you all go from the top down. Yes it's easier, but the loss of deck strength, and the fairing process is so much harder. I did all mine from under the deck. A 4" angle grinder, is all you need. Use the guard as your depth control, cut the area, use a pry bar to get the glass loose, then chisel out the bad core, then re-core, and lay in a piece of stitch mat. It's that easy no worries about the weather, or cold!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
I still don't understand why you all go from the top down. Yes it's easier, but the loss of deck strength, and the fairing process is so much harder. I did all mine from under the deck. A 4" angle grinder, is all you need. Use the guard as your depth control, cut the area, use a pry bar to get the glass loose, then chisel out the bad core, then re-core, and lay in a piece of stitch mat. It's that easy no worries about the weather, or cold!
Not always possible. In the case above I'd have to climb inside the anchor well and at 200 pounds plus, that isn't happening!

Then there's also the hassle of removing the interior to get at the problem...

Old 13-10-2015, 15:03   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
12:1 is barely enough; that's only ~1" wide on 3/32" thick laminate.

I wouldn't try to use a scarphing tool, but rather a disc grinder.

Posted the scarfer in response to Unciv's quoted post, which appears to have been deleted. No one in their right mind would try to use a scarfer on glass.

Old 13-10-2015, 18:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Posted the scarfer in response to Unciv's quoted post, which appears to have been deleted. No one in their right mind would try to use a scarfer on glass.
?? I wonder why his post was deleted. It was helpful!

I'm not looking to scarf the wood - all the core's staying put, barring any unpleasant surprises.

I'm wondering if there's an easier way to bevel the top laminate than hacking at it with a disc sander.

Seems a router could be a good approach, but not if I'm to achieve something like 12:1.

With the plywood core still very much intact, and a final layer of new glass going on top of the re-adhered original laminate, my gut tells me I could get away with less bevel rejoining the adjacent laminates (when butt joining the removed piece back with the rest of the deck).

But my gut isn't really an expert.
Old 14-10-2015, 07:39   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
?? I wonder why his post was deleted. It was helpful!

I'm not looking to scarf the wood - all the core's staying put, barring any unpleasant surprises.

I'm wondering if there's an easier way to bevel the top laminate than hacking at it with a disc sander.

Seems a router could be a good approach, but not if I'm to achieve something like 12:1.

With the plywood core still very much intact, and a final layer of new glass going on top of the re-adhered original laminate, my gut tells me I could get away with less bevel rejoining the adjacent laminates (when butt joining the removed piece back with the rest of the deck).

But my gut isn't really an expert.

Use a Roloc grinder. Grinding a taper with a disc sander is for the uninitiated.

Old 15-10-2015, 13:08   #12

I weigh 190 myself! Twisted myself in to the anchor locker, and did the work. I had to take out the side paneling, and overhead at the rear of the cabin on both sides, and then continue on into the lockers. Nobody said it was easy, but I was able to work in rain, and snow/winter. My surveyor said I should advertise. I'm not saying it's for every one. But I'd rather leave the deck intact than trying to fair it in, after. Also my deck is 1/4 glass then the core then a single layer underneath. It did not make sense to weaken the deck structure for a relatively easy repair from under.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck