Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2020, 11:13   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Best Way to Fiberglass

I am in need of a fiberglass panel- roughly 6 feet by 3 feet that will become a new deck over a well in the aft part of my boat- it will be supported all around the perimeter as well as having transverse support structure underneath. I am planning on making the decking with a 3/4 inch 20 density closed cell foam core followed by 2 layers of biaxial cloth on each side followed by 3 layers of fiberglass cloth on each side with epoxy resin. is this the proper order of the two types of cloth or should I alternate between biaxial and cloth? also trying to figure out how much allowance I need to leave on the sides for the added layers of cloth? the panel fits down into a lip on three sides so I would like to get it close both for appearance and to get maximum support from the lip structure- lip is probably an inch and a half tall and an inch and a half wide. also for the strengthening transverse members I was told to just cut one inch strips of the foam and fillet and glass them to the underside- I was going to use 2/4 with the vertical side being 4 inches but like the idea of no wood anywhere to rot- advice?
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 12:12   #2

Re: Best Way to Fiberglass

I can’t visualize your engineering

To stiffen panels Prisma Preforms are widely used in the marine industry

They save much time

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/mobileportal/show_product.do?pid=57770

Do some googling
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 12:16   #3

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'm not sure I'm getting this right. First of all, what weight of glass are you using. And what weight of foam? 20 what? I don't think 20kg is available, and it would be very weak in any case. So 20lb foam is my assumption, which is very heavy for such a small piece. If 20lb foam, then you'd only need a very light coating of biax on each side. Not near what you're suggesting. Say 400 gsm on each side, and maybe a 300gsm uni. but 20lb foam is very strong, and heavy, all by itself.

I don't know what you mean by fiberglass cloth. There are many weights of cloth.

Here's what I'd use, and you can perhaps extrapolate from that.

3 feet wide by 6 feet long. I'd use 80kg (5 lb) foam, and two layers of 600gsm uni, and one layer of 600gsm biax. The uni would go in the 3 foot direction, and the biax doesn't matter. I'd put the uni first, only because the biax is usually easier to fair. Do this on each side.

With this layup, I'd be surprised if you need any ribs.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 26-03-2020, 12:49   #4

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

As an addendum. Putting a rib transverse, on the layup I described, will not help much, except directly above the rib. If using my layup, and you really want a rib, put it longitudinally, across the uni, and that'll help spread the load. Be sure your biax is 45 degrees each way to the uni.

If you don't want to use uni, and are using 0/90 glass, then I'd not bother with the biax, as it's just going to add weight. Use a total of about 2000gsm of 0/90, on each side, and install your rib, and you'll be fine.

Resin infusion gives 1mm thickness for 1000gsm of glass. Hand layup is about 1mm thick for 600-750gsm of glass, depending on how much you squeegy.

1000gsm is about 34oz (someone correct me here)

My apologies if you're not familiar with the metric system, but that's how we built our boat. 1mm is 1/25th of an inch.

Cheers, and good luck.
Paul.
Old 27-03-2020, 03:52   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I just skimmed through the comments but I would not disagree any advice given, BUT I definitely wouldn't use epoxy, vinylester would be better but as it won't be immersed in water I would consider Polyester the way to go.

There's quite a few threads on this very topic.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...-building.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 05:44   #6

Boat: None

Per: coopec33 This is correct. Epoxy is a waste of money and you would never see the strength of the epoxy used to its potential. Vinylester is great but polyester will be fine for this application. Easy and inexpensive. For a panel this size, any directional glass on the underside would work fine. Even 24 oz. woven roving would be fine and much less costly. Fiberglass mat is good in compression and a few layers should be used on the top side. I started using fiberglass professionally in 1978. Since that time, I have almost never found 'cloth' to be worthy of inclusion in any laminate. Exception being very thin, very light weight layup. Like the top of a kayak. Stay away from the stuff as it has potential to delam and peel. Doubling the core section gives 5X the stiffness. If you can use thicker core do so. Ribs glassed under will be beneficial. I would not use less than a 7.5 lb per cubic foot foam. Heavier solid urethane foam panel would be good and stiffer and easier to work with if you are trying to make a flat panel. don't over think this project. Use simple, inexpensive materials and don't get talked into vacuum bagging or infusion or anything complicated. This boat will not feel an extra 20 lbs in the weight of this repair.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 12:39   #7

FPNC Absolutely spot on!

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 27-03-2020, 12:48   #8

Forget the cloth, just use uni in both directions on each side and a layer of peel-ply to aid fairing and bonding. Transverse framing at 2ft intervals will make it nice and stiff so little flexing to compromise the bonding to the lip. I am assuming the panels to be fixed permanently in which case I would prefer epoxy but if not any of the resins will be fine
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 14:24   #9

Boat: Farr 43`

When making panels I either taper the core at the edges to bring the skins together or remove core material at the edge and fill with filler /reinforcement as appropriate.

For a 25mm core I would fill with a laminate equal to the combined skins.
If fasteners were required (hinges?) there would be some hi density filler involved e.g. mineral talc.

Techniques can be combined e.g. bevel cut and fibre fill.

Avoid laying cloth around (tight) corners.
- Dimensioning is difficult.
- Strength is reduced.
- Laminate failure probability at the corner is high.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 23:42   #10

If it is possible to fiberglass a rib (or a number of ribs) into the panel it would stiffen it (The same principal as corrugated roofing iron or a rib in a motor car body panel)

I put a rib in the lids of my water tanks and they are tremendously strong and won't bend. Maybe I should have put some corrugations (or ribs) in the walls of the water tanks too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-03-28 Holding tanks.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	211437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-03-28 car body panel rib - Google Search.png
Views:	56
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	211438  

Tags