Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 09:51   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Best Value for Interior Paint

Over the last couple of years I have used a mixture of paints within the interior - household (exterior grade), Toplac and bilge paint (not always only the bilge). The surfaces have been a mixture of Wood, GRP and Formica!

The Household paint approach came from simply liking the colour of the Toplac undercoat I am most impressed about the formica when painted (vertical surfaces only), has stood up to some knocks which had me worried and inspecting closely for damage. Upside / downside (depending on POV) is that the results look like painted wood, not formica.

I suspect (time will tell) that they will all be pretty much the same on longevity - the differences being how looked after.......and most importantly the preparation before painting - IME the absolute key is a good primer (pun intended )..........I am figuring in 5 years time, a rub down all over, a bit of patching and another top coat should be more than enough - and a cheap refresh to the cabin (s)
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:55   #17

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

After much research I've determined that Alkyd (Oil based) Enamels are the best value for interior paint. I will be painting the entire interior of Windsong with this type.

Home Depot or Lowes sells Rustoleum Protective Enamel, and that is the brand I plan to go with. Rustoleum even sells a marine top sides paint, but I wouldn't bother with the extra cost for the interior.
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:40   #18

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead

I always use Smiths penetrating epoxy under all paint. It works to bond the paint to your surface. Either wood or fiberglass and especially wood. It will flex and hold well. The paint you use is your choice but I used a two part epoxy primer on my interior and it went over Smiths as I said. It has held very well and I'm not getting any cracking and peeling yet. It's been over 10 years too.

You can use a regular enamel over epoxy primer too if you choose. I did. Still holding strong and I didn't have to wear a fresh air breather to paint.
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:00   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHead View Post
The paint I bought was an Alkalid Poly too but it took a long time to get totally dry. It is harder now but I have scratches where I scraped the side wall putting my boards in that go under the mattress. I did brush the peeling paint off the scratch and it looks ok for now. I agree with you that the good quality enamels like yours work quite well on boats.

I would like to ask a chemist if there is any difference or if it is simply marketing, which I think it is.
LPU's and epoxies (both two part coatings) are the most durable but also the most expensive and most difficult to mix and apply. You also need a positive pressure respirator or excellent forced draft ventilation if you are going to apply it inside.

To a degree you get what you pay for as far as durability goes.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior