Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 19:52   #46

Re: Best self contained tool kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
Not to offend any of the pros here, but I have been gradually getting rid of all those useless and misguided Philips screws (absolutely despise them) and replacing with Robertsons. A screw/driver that actually grips and never strips.
Good Canadian invention
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 04:23   #47

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
In the spirit of buying what you actually need--we use three drawers near the companionway for the most commonly used tools (and quick access in an emergency, which we've already used!), but are gradually switching to Milwaukee Jobsite Organizers for the rest. Rarely used tools, connectors, etc rust, rot, and migrate--and you wind up on the spot when you need the damn things. The Jobsite Organizers are watertight and dustproof.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...-review/18309/
I would like to see the organizers you have and see what you put in them. If you have any pictures, you should post. Would like to see the drawers at the companionway too. Might make for some good ideas.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 05:52   #48

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
Not to offend any of the pros here, but I have been gradually getting rid of all those useless and misguided Philips screws (absolutely despise them) and replacing with Robertsons. A screw/driver that actually grips and never strips.
Never seen a 'screw/driver that actually grips and never strips' 100%, but my current favorite is torx or star drive. Grips and (almost) never strips...

Would be interesting to know the name of the inventor (not Camcar Textron I presume)...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 10:12   #49

Boat: J/42

I assure you that Robertsons can and do strip. Although usually it is a toss-up between stripping or twisting the head right off. That doesn’t happen with a Phillips. I have a large greenhouse, imported from Canadia, in which all the glazing is held on with thousands of the darned things. For that matter, my house was also a Canadian kit, but we didn’t use most of the fasteners that came with it because the contractors had self-feeding nail and screw guns. So I still have a couple of 50 lb boxes of Robertson screws. Every time I use them for a project, I end up regretting it.

Re: any kind of organizer or tool box you can buy at Home Depot. Except for the very small ones, none of them actually fit into the weirdly shaped lockers on my boat. The only option for large rectangular chests is to strap one down on a settee or berth. This was why I switched to tool rolls. Although if you have a large enough boat, an extra Pullman berth that you could convert to a dedicated workshop would be ideal.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 13:05   #50

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
I would like to see the organizers you have and see what you put in them. If you have any pictures, you should post. Would like to see the drawers at the companionway too. Might make for some good ideas.
Will do. It'll be a week, we are tending to a family member (who is getting better, not attributable to our efforts) so are away from the boat for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post

Re: any kind of organizer or tool box you can buy at Home Depot. Except for the very small ones, none of them actually fit into the weirdly shaped lockers on my boat. The only option for large rectangular chests is to strap one down on a settee or berth. This was why I switched to tool rolls. Although if you have a large enough boat, an extra Pullman berth that you could convert to a dedicated workshop would be ideal.
Very true. We keep our most frequently used tools in the referenced drawers for this reason (I lined the drawers with microfiber clothes sprayed with corrosion inhibitor since the drawers are just the standard wood nav station drawers you see on every Catalina 36.

However, we do have a few places where the Milwaukee boxes can be stowed, for the less frequently-used but invaluable tools.

-- 1 for sewing/snaps/velcro/sail repair

-- 1 for the drill, bolts/nuts, bits, tips, rail fittings, drill bits, eyebolts, padeyes, screws, and other sm ss ancillary

-- 1 for fishing tackle

Nothing else on the boat benefits enough, from the combination of waterproof/sturdy latch/easily transported en masse, to offset the bulk of the box. Adhesives/lubricants/tefgel/sealants get stowed in sturdy ziplocs and stuffed in the awkward small cubbies instead, for example. The other power tools have waterproof soft-sided cases and are stowed in the smaller awkward cubbies as well, when underway.

If we didn't live on the boat, and all tools had to be transported, the drawer tools would also be boxed.

I've floated the idea of tool rolls, but I don't think N is going to bite. Tossing a tool back into the right drawer or bin, or pulling out the drawer/bin and seeing the contents in a glance, are more convenient to him.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 06:11   #51

Boat: SOLD

I had a lot of plastic "waterproff" cases, but ended with four 50 mm. ammo cases (fron the 50¨s , got them on a garage sale) that I sanded and painted with three layers of yellow epoxi paint. Totally dust and waterproff, and now rustproof. You can drop them in the water loaded and they will float, barelly 1/2 an inch out of the water but float.
All hand tools are stored by category (mechanical, electric and electrical, plumbing, specialized/delicate) and most of them are "BAHCO", first quality staineless steel, made in Sweden. Many of those tools where in my father's tool box 50 years ago and are still in perfect shape, only dented and scratched. They are not cheap, but "buy cheap, buy twice".

Mariano

Fair winds
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 17:20   #52

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Just wondering what kind of tool kits folks have and where they got them. Sears, Harbor Freight, Defender? Feel free to put links if you choose.
What tools do you have so far?

What do you want to achieve with them? Just fixing some corroded wiring or much bigger jobs?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 17:54   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We keep our most frequently used tools in the referenced drawers for this reason (I lined the drawers with microfiber clothes sprayed with corrosion inhibitor since the drawers are just the standard wood nav station drawers you see on every Catalina 36. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
I used the nav station deck for my tools. I keep spares in the drawers. We use soft bags fro our clothes when we travel. I keep the nav station area organized with a simple kitchen drawer dividers. I put a hatch holder spring on the lid, open and close with one hand. Separate soft bag with electrical.

One of the best boats gifts I was ever given was a socket set of tools that span the most used sizes on our boat, SAE and metric; assortment of great screw driver tips and a holder, two screwdrivers, and couple of small drawers. Everything in that easy to handle box is CAPTIVE and is also CLEARLY IDENTIFIED. Those features are priceless - for those of us who can't look across a room and say, with confidence, "That's your 1/2" socket for your 3/8" drive."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 18:21   #54

Boat: Riva 48

I am using a set of three stackable boxes from Target. One electrical, one mechanical and one for tools. I continuously pair down my tools/parts to make sure I only have the most relevant ones.

For example, for Yanmar you need 10, 12, 14, 17mm plus a few specialized if you are rebuilding. So, I only keep those (x2) and throw out the others.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 20:52   #55

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

I'm in the process of updating my tool kit. I too agree that buying a self contained kit my not be the best way. I have a mix of tools. I tend to buy higher end tools but not crazy expensive ones. I do not agree that cheap tools rust at the same rate as better ones. And I don't agree that they fall overboard at the same rate. I tend to take better care of my tools knowing how much I have invested in them. Not to say they won't rust or fall overboard, just that I pay more attention. I like German and swedish tools, like Fein feestool, bahco, Bosch. But also have Craftsman too. Facom I don't have but just might try out. Many of these live in a toolpac backpack my wife gave me 15 years ago and still going strong. Holds a lot. Have most of my electric stuff in a fluke bag. Need to get a few more. Soft bags for the corded and cordless tool I have. Plan is no hard cases, to hard to store. I'm sure that I will be adding to that collection till the day I die. Good tools are meant to be passed on.
But if you just want a simple tool kit both Sears and Amazon or harbor freight has plenty.
Old 17-02-2018, 02:15   #56

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

I have my current tools in a small tackle box. Pins and fasteners in the top organizer and hand tools in the open box underneath. I was just wondering if anyone had a cool kit that covered the bases. It's great to hear all the different ideas.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 03:04   #57

Boat: Presto 36

For organization I use 5 gal. plastic buckets fitted with Gamma Seal lids,(Amazon for about $10. each)which makes the buckets water proof. On one of the buckets, dedicated for small hand tools, screw drivers and the like, I placed a 5 gal. bucket tool pouch liner which helps corral all the smaller tools. When I complete a task I fold the liner down into the bucket and then screw the lid on. Nice and neat and waterproof. With the lids screwed on tightly, the buckets with tools will float. I know.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 07:49   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver47 View Post
I am personally looking for a chain saw, found several 16″ Stihl and Husqvarna saws on this resource

Those are the only two brands I’m actually looking at. My dad has been using a Stihl for at least 15 years and he has never had any problems with it
I did tree work for a few years, we always used Stihl, and it's what I bought when I needed one (it's now almost 20yo, other than sharpening and a few new spark plugs, I've cleaned the carb a few times and one new bar and chain is all the maintenance it's needed). My boss had a hot temper, and I have seen a Stihl thrown from a tree, about 60 ft up, when it wouldn't start quick enough. I picked it up, knocked off the dirt, added fuel, and it started right up, no dings, dents, or damage whatsoever.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote