Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2021, 22:31   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Best non-marine deck cleaner?

So, my boat has been sitting on the hard, under pine trees for most of a year, and it's time to scrub the deck.

I'm sure I could pick up something that promised to be perfect, over at West Marine, but soap is soap.

I'm sure there is something I could pick up at Home Depot or Lowes that would work at least as well at half the price.

Or, for that matter, might already have in my basement or garage.

Does anyone have an ordinary household cleaner that has worked well for them for cleaning fiberglass decks?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 22:49   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Best non-marine deck cleaner?

I had good luck with this cleaning the deck on my fishing boat. It had been sitting uncovered for several months. Lots of dirt and black stains. I think I got it at Ann Ace Hardware.
https://30secondscleaners.com/products/outdoor-cleaner
Old 07-08-2021, 00:00   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You can work your way up from soft scrub all the way to TSP (hardware store)

TSP may dull paint enough for recoat without sanding so they care

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Bar Keepers Friend ➥ https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:18   #5

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Pressure washer
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:59   #6

Boat: Hunter 34

Davis Instruments FSR Big Job Bottle (Amazon)

Used this after my 34 footer was on the hard for two years uncovered. Scrubbed the deck with it and it left it unbelievably white (rinsed off with a pressure washer after I scrubbed it). Took off all manners of stains and filth. I then used it on my yellow power cord which nothing (simple green, acetone, MFK, super clean) would get the embedded black grunge stains off of and I now have a yellow power cord.
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:22   #7

If you have teak decks make sure that you do not use a cleaner that will make the caulking sticky like dish washer liquid does.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:06   #8

Boat: Freedom 32'

Don't laugh, but I had a white-blueish stain in the cockpit where I had propped up a new trolling motor for the time being. I had no idea what the stain was and others couldn't figure it out either. I tried everything including TSP. I ended up using Easy-Off oven spray out of frustration. It worked! Did a beautiful job!
Old 07-08-2021, 10:09   #9

Boat: Hunter H22

I usually start with Simple Green for the vast majority of crud, and finish with Barkeeper's Friend for the tough stuff.
JJWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:22   #10

Plain old bleach, heavily diluted with water for heavy mold/algae, and simple green for everything else.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:21   #11

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

For years I'd neglected the green/black mildew on my teak bowsprit platform...gentle amounts of TSP and bleach in a bucket of warm water practically melted it off with conscientious scrubbing and hosing down. Surprisingly strong combination. From here on plan to treat teak decks with at least annual rinse of some combination of bleach, TSP and salt water. This recipe touched on in "Brightwork" by Rebecca Whitman, but I'd think would clean dark mildewy fiberglass decks as well. Cheap too.
Poeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:42   #12

The best product I've found in the UK, after trying many of the (expensive) marine products, is sold as a caravan cleaner - https://fenwickscaravan.com/product/caravan-cleaner/ Maybe something similar is available where you are?
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 13:27   #13

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39338430709...pid=5020519139

I watched some of my dockmates use the Westerly White Wall cleaner a couple of seasons before I would try it. Westerly is gone but these folks have picked up the brand and it is kinda a cult item. (Paypal only, ships after payment, etc). Haven't replenished under the new ownership but we have been on the cradle for three years so I am gonna get a new bottle. Absolutely the best thing I have ever used for cleaning the deck, bar none.
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 18:29   #14

I'd like to try all the things suggested but in my little world of managing a few high end boats, I worry about harming other surfaces. I have varnished ones, waxed and polished ones, painted ones, etc. I have taped on plastic shields to protect these as I worry that some so-called "biodegradable" or "bio safe" cleaners are more wolves than sheep !

My go-to soap is not marine at all, but auto-oriented. It says it won't remove wax and I hope that's so. I know it's cheaper than boat soap.

One boat I oversee lives in an open-ended boat house. Woe is me when pigeons came to roost this early Spring and bred and bred. I think there was a least a dozen. I've since had a lot of bird doo to remove everywhere but also some seemingly immovable stains on the boat's flat sections.

Just this AM, I scanned a Consumer Reports book on "how to clean anything" and then was about try X and Y and Z .. but came across a MAGIC ERASER I've had in the locker.

Am happy ... so WHAT IS the MAGIC in THAT ? It may not suit everyone's time-need to dab here, dab there, but I'm in love with how I could control it and how well it worked !

Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 18:55   #15

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I had good luck with this cleaning the deck on my fishing boat. It had been sitting uncovered for several months. Lots of dirt and black stains. I think I got it at Ann Ace Hardware.
https://30secondscleaners.com/products/outdoor-cleaner
That 30 seconds cleaner is just a bleach, although there may be some soap in there too. I used a pressure washer with just a commercial detergent in it and it worked a treat.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, marine