Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2022, 01:12   #16

Re: Best good grade water tank coating

Thanks for all your reply’s !! Will do further digging on all epoxies reccomended

Regarding plastic tanks If you see the pics. Tanks are a structural part of the hull. Due to frames and stingers I can’t fit a plastic tank.i have 1000l of water and don’t want to change the weight distribution . Additionally a large area of my below waterline is in built tanks, I kinda like the additional safety of any penetrations being in the tanks rather than in the hull.

Man I’ve spent some time on a grinder though
Nixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:06   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I agree completely. Carbon filtering is the magical recipe here. For any of these things. Jedi seems to like stainless. I didn’t like the bitter awful metallic taste from that. I also don’t like plastic taste. I don’t think I’ve had aluminum before. But I’m sure I wouldn’t like it.

In my opinion, the way to get the best water on a boat is to pick your poison with tanks, and then do just what you did. Filter it through carbon filters and you can’t taste a thing.

What I typically do is a polyethylene tank followed with some bleach treatment, just a light bit, to make sure nothing can grow in there, then it goes through carbon filtration. Just like your wife says. Better than the water you can get anywhere else. Including bottled water and tapwater.
The metallic taste is from aluminum tanks. Stainless steel is tasteless, all the good water bottles are stainless

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:32   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The metallic taste is from aluminum tanks. Stainless steel is tasteless, all the good water bottles are stainless
You say that because you are used to it.

I would say the same thing about plastic tanks because I am used to them.

However, all tanks leave a taste in the water. All of them. I can taste stainless a mile away. It’s gross. So is plastic. I’ve never had the misfortune of aluminum.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:35   #19

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

In theory a perfectly built stainless tank shouldn't leave any taste in the water. But if there's anything less than perfect about the tank (either poor choice of stainless grade, welds not perfectly smooth and can trap stuff, etc.) it could. And the rest of the system plumbing, pumps, etc. all have a chance to leave a taste in the system as well. And it'll depend some on the water going in as well. Water that's a bit off in pH or other factors could cause more interaction with materials in the water system.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:46   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
You say that because you are used to it.

I would say the same thing about plastic tanks because I am used to them.

However, all tanks leave a taste in the water. All of them. I can taste stainless a mile away. It’s gross. So is plastic. I’ve never had the misfortune of aluminum.
The stainless steel water bottles have the best water I ever tasted, just as good as from glass.

You can taste the difference from the same water, between chilled in a glass bottle or a stainless bottle?

I remember those anodized aluminum glasses… horrible
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B46F70DC-9C75-4448-AA50-D149BC6D77F8.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	268649  

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water