Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2021, 08:35   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Beneteau First 42 propeller strut repair

Yeah, I know, I eat flies. Mosquitos too - some of them around our Tate's Hell Swamp are big enough to sexually assault chickens. BUT, it's my cousin Kermit, not me, who dates the pig.
Old 28-11-2021, 18:52   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
All good imfo,the simplest way to me would to flush off the hull inside,and get or have made two 90dg bronze piece’s in g2 bronze ,bolt or weld to existing strut ,re fit re align ,bog in ,check alignment of shaft ,adjust if necessary ,clean up glass in with epoxy or vinalester,I would guess about 16 hrs work for a good shipwright.⛵️⚓️
Thanks for your reply Searles. That’s an interesting plan. I like the idea where f not having to modify the outer hull and, if I am reusing the existing strut I think proper alignment would be easy to achieve.
SvNovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 17:51   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Thanks all for your fantastic input on the project so far. I got the strut sanded down and it has a distinctly pink color so I’m looking for a new strut or looking into getting a new one cast from the old or re-engineering the whole thing with a bolt on unit.
SvNovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 00:08   #19

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNovia View Post
Thanks all for your fantastic input on the project so far. I got the strut sanded down and it has a distinctly pink color so I’m looking for a new strut or looking into getting a new one cast from the old or re-engineering the whole thing with a bolt on unit.
Given your location from your profile, Port Townsend Foundry https://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/ might be the place to have a new strut cast from the old one.
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 01:56   #20

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

You are going to need a form for casting a new strut. Casting forms are typically made from wood.

Assuming that you want to make a flanged strut, here is a simple way to make your form. Slip the old strut onto the shaft and support the shaft so that it is located correctly and runs true. Mark the strut where it intersects the hull and saw it off there, so that the top of the sawn off strut is flush with the hull bottom. Saw a couple pieces of plywood for the flanges. Round the leading and outside edges and taper the aft edge for good water flow. Clamp or hold the flanges against the bottom of the hull, on each side of the strut, and bond them to the strut with quick setting epoxy. Slide it off your shaft. You will now have a form which fits your boat bottom and locates your shaft correctly.

I would recommend that you have the casting X-rayed. I have had struts cast which had porosity (internal) at the top of the strut where it intersects the flanges. An X-ray will detect this.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, propeller, Strut