Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2018, 05:22   #1

Bend in furler foil

Can anyone help me out here. I noticed this slight bend in the foil when I removed my Genoa today. I believe it has always been there maybe hit by a travellift or something. Is it possible to straighten these pieces? Or is it a simple case of replacing the bent peice? ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	20180630_173115.jpeg
Views:	573
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	172744
Dieselmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 05:57   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Bend in furler foil

Wow, that looks like more than a slight bend!

Not really feasible to straighten with good results, best to replace the bent extrusion sections. I would closely inspect the forestay and terminal fittings to make sure nothing else was damaged too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 07:56   #3

As belizesailor indicated that's not feasible to straighten. The starboard slot track looks like it was ripped right out. Hope the manufacture still supports replacement parts for the foil. Pay attention to the stay wire for broken wires or unraveling.

If damaged by travel lift, they should be involved with cost of repairs.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 08:40   #4

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

The key, as mentioned, is good results. You probably can fix it but it may not be usable. I’d try to find a replacement but if I were remote I’d consider it reparable as is where is; if no other options.

Try it as you are probably no worse off than you are now. But no matter what Check the stay and all fittings for ANY damage.
Old 30-06-2018, 09:59   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bend in furler foil

I’d say you might can if you try to bend it around something large and round.
I had several very bent pieces of SS tubing, and they straightened so straight that I can roll them on a flat surface and you can’t see any wobble. Amazed me, cause I thought they would kink, but figured I had nothing to lose. A lot depends on the level of heat threat the material is, and there is really just no way to know that, so try to straighten it, but be prepared to replace it if and when the attempt goes wrong.
If its working now, before I did anything I’d find the replacement before I messed with it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 15:48   #6

Thanks heaps for the feedback guys I think I will try find a replacement part and maybe try straighten this one and keep as a spare. Cheers
Dieselmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 16:04   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

Don't know where you are or how old your furler. We had some damage around loose set screws for which the only real fix was a new section of extrusion but extrusions for our older Profurl are no longer available. Went by a local rigging shop that does a lot of furler work and they had old/used in good condition laying around. When they do a replacement they tend to keep the old extrusions around for just this kind of thing. So, if you can't straighten and can't find/get new try the local rigger and send a little beer his way.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 18:37   #8

What make & model of furling is it? Maybe someone here can give you a lead on replacment extrusions.
Old 30-06-2018, 18:49   #9

Boat: 41' yawl
Bend in furler foil

Is your headstay taut? I would have guessed any bend in the noodly extrusion would work itself out (at least better than that) once the stay was tensioned properly...
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 19:16   #10

Boat: Allied 39

Not only inspect the stay but look closely at the masthead tang that holds the head stay for cracks. It appears to be a profurl fuller. If you can’t find a replacement 6’ extrusion section try Pacific Offshore Rigging in SD as they may have some used extrusions they would sell you
Old 30-06-2018, 23:27   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar37 View Post
As belizesailor indicated that's not feasible to straighten. The starboard slot track looks like it was ripped right out. Hope the manufacture still supports replacement parts for the foil. Pay attention to the stay wire for broken wires or unraveling.

If damaged by travel lift, they should be involved with cost of repairs.
Looks like an older "Classic" ProFurl. Parts are available. I dealt directly with ProFurl. There are also manuals on line. You will need one or two extrusion sections depending on where the joint is. Unless you are skilled, have a rigger service it. Inspect the bearings too as well as cable and fittings. If the stay ends are Norseman you might get the extrusions off. It's possible you may need a new stay if it's not possible to get the damaged extrusions off. On re-assembly tighten all of the titanium set screws in the extruded profiles. I recommend thread locker.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:11   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Is the furler less than 20 year old?

If so, the manufacturer, if still in business should supppt replacement parts. If not, it is near the end of its life expectancy and due for replacement anyway.

We have had a number of replacement quotes rejected and repaired instead rfor about 1/3 replacement cost, only to have something else break a year or lwo late, and have the customer upset they spent the money on the prior repair rather than just replace.

Sometimes, the wise thing to do, is to replace vs repair.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:54   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Is the furler less than 20 year old?

If so, the manufacturer, if still in business should supppt replacement parts. If not, it is near the end of its life expectancy and due for replacement anyway.

We have had a number of replacement quotes rejected and repaired instead rfor about 1/3 replacement cost, only to have something else break a year or lwo late, and have the customer upset they spent the money on the prior repair rather than just replace.

Sometimes, the wise thing to do, is to replace vs repair.

Here is the site for ProFurl parts and manuals. I am pretty sure yours is a "Classic" style. Figure out the size by measuring the foil diameter. I have never had any trouble getting service parts.

Profurl
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 16:13   #14

Where are you?

I know of a couple of sets of old ProFurl extrusions here in Panama (one was mine!).
Old 01-07-2018, 17:07   #15

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmech View Post
Can anyone help me out here. I noticed this slight bend in the foil when I removed my Genoa today.

Looks like a serious bend in the upper third of the foil?

Do you know how that happened? It's ususally the spinnaker pole that causes furler damage, but I didn't expect it to reach that high up.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, oil