Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 14:19   #1

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler
BELOW DECK AUTOPILOT ?? Tiller Steered ??

I am extremely tired of messing with tiller pilots for my 34' tiller steered boat. I want to hear from anyone who has a below deck autopilot for their tiller steered boat. How well does it work ? Does it change the feel or effort on the tiller when not in use.

Thanks
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 14:43   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: BELOW DECK AUTOPILOT ?? Tiller Steered ??

Just sailed a sunfast 3600 with a belowdeck pilot on tillers. Felt fine to me, a bit more drag than normal but quite usable even in light airs. The boat has twin rudders and twin tillers so lots of extra friction anyway. But even with all this the helm was pretty light, as in I could comfortably helm with one hand.

I dont know the details of the install, but my brother said if he was not using the AP he can disconnect the ram for a slightly better feel. Maybe worth it on longer fully crewed races for him.

One smaller issue is the reduced maximum rudder angle caused by having the limited travel ram on. In some cases this can reduce maneuverability slightly.
Old 21-03-2017, 15:52   #3

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

If you use a Raymarine M81130 type drive,you will not have any appreciable extra drag. They are very reliable,simple & avoid messing with hydraulics.
Most brands of below deck pilots will drive them.

Mechanical Linear Drives | Raymarine

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nt-140087.html
Old 21-03-2017, 19:11   #4

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Do you just need more power or advance system? You can get a Pelagic autopilot where you still need to discount the ram when not in use. PelagicAutopilot | Sailing Autopilot Technologies

If you'd still like the ease of having the drive outside, but with a clutch to disconnect it when not in use, lecomble and schmitt make a hydraulic drive that can be exposed to the elements. We bought one for our new boat since it has a sort of transom hung rudder. Half of it is inside a lazarett, but the ram cylinder is outside.

Matt
Old 22-03-2017, 09:05   #5

Boat: Outremer 42

We sailed round Britain & Ireland using a simple Raymarine tillerpilot below decks. It pushed/pulled a mainsail car along a track with pulleys attached to either end of the car and the dyneema cables fed out to under the tiller arm, one of them crossing over and returning to such that they both were in tension when in use. The boat was a Farrier 31. It worked just fine and we had no issues. Part of that reliability I am sure was due to the machinery being below in the dry.
You may be thinking of buying something which attaches directly to the quadrant, in which case this is a pointless reply but it is a very cheap and reliable method, and indeed the only way if the rudder is transom-hung.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:18   #6

Get an Alpha 3000 with the quadrant disconnect. Simple and reliable and strong.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:24   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I have an Alerion Express 38 Yawl (about 12,000#) with a SIMRAD linear hydraulic drive. I think it's terrific, and it does not impart enough drag to affect the feel of steering with a tiller. The pilot is very strong, and other than having filled it with hydraulic fluid once, and having replaced the AP display with a newer version, it's been trouble-free.

I have sailed around 10,000 miles with tiller pilots from a variety of generations, mostly from the 1980s. I found them to be extremely energy efficient but not very reliable. In two instances on long voyages (2500nm nonstop), I had to rely on a second tiller pilot to finish the voyage.

My experience in the marine industry, and my personal experience, would indicate that below decks pilots are dramatically more reliable.

Chuck Hawley
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 14:51   #8

Boat: Boatless

Ditto on the Alpha 3000. It is a great unit, is very fast, uses very little energy and is price right. It is a KISS unit (keep it simple stupid!)
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 15:23   #9

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Ditto on the Alpha 3000. It is a great unit, is very fast, uses very little energy and is price right. It is a KISS unit (keep it simple stupid!)

The price is right? Alpha 3000 is $3,400 for the computer and controller, $1,900 for the drive, and $250 for the rudder link. That's over $2000 higher than comparable Navico/ Raymarine units. For that price, I'd start looking at NKE.
Old 22-03-2017, 15:43   #10

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner

I have a Simrad SD-10 drive unit - the drive motor sits inside, under what would be a seat locker on most sailboats with a tiller - in my case it is a difficult to access area that could be devoted to the below decks drive unit and autopilot "brain." The drive unit has a stainless rod that goes through a steel bulkhead (with a vinyl boot around it to keep out water) and connects to an Edson quadrant mounted on the rudder shaft below the tiller. There is some resistance if hand steering, unless you disconnect the drive unit, which I can easily do with a removable bolt like you would see in a gooseneck going through the tack of the mainsail. This rig has taken me from Virginia south through the Bahamas/Turks and Caicos, the Caribbean, Panama Canal, and up to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in all sorts of sea conditions with winds pushing 35 kt. at times. A very powerful and reliable unit. Not cheap - I think I spent about $7K on the whole system with "special" Annapolis boat show prices in 2011.
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
The price is right? Alpha 3000 is $3,400 for the computer and controller, $1,900 for the drive, and $250 for the rudder link. That's over $2000 higher than comparable Navico/ Raymarine units. For that price, I'd start looking at NKE.
Wow, they have gotten expensive!

Old 23-03-2017, 07:18   #12

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCity View Post
I am extremely tired of messing with tiller pilots for my 34' tiller steered boat. I want to hear from anyone who has a below deck autopilot for their tiller steered boat. How well does it work ? Does it change the feel or effort on the tiller when not in use. Thanks
Hi! Could you tell us more about your sailboat ? What make & model ? That would help us help you
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 08:35   #13

By the way, the Alpha quadrant disconnect can be used with other AP's.

Old 26-03-2017, 07:46   #14

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

Thank everyone for their input.
I'm sure I can design a good system for my S2 10.3
I also have instant easy access to my rudder post for a manual disconnect.
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:22   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The Raymarine website has a good document on how to install an inside autopilot. I think it's worth reading.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, deck