Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2015, 11:51   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Bedding the windlass plate

Our windlass is installed on top of a starboard plate. The starboard plate itself was gouged on the underside when the previous owner installed it, presumably to create more surface area for the sealant. When we reset it last weekend, we did not use enough butyl on the underside of the starboard to spread out in these gouges and it left gaps along some of the sides.

When we redo this again next weekend, can we reuse what butyl sticks to the plate or do we have to clean it up and start all over again?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 13:18   #2

Re: Bedding the windlass plate

That is to say, if you make a mistake with butyl tape, can you just recover it and reuse it?
Old 18-06-2015, 14:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have used (reused?) butyl tape to some degree. Example when I intentionally overfill under a fitting and squeeze butyl out when tightening the fitting I save that for non critical uses, like the first layer in a deep or wide gap. But edges, finished parts or anything critical I use fresh.

Of course this assumes that the butyl I reuse is clean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 15:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have used (reused?) butyl tape to some degree. Example when I intentionally overfill under a fitting and squeeze butyl out when tightening the fitting I save that for non critical uses, like the first layer in a deep or wide gap. But edges, finished parts or anything critical I use fresh.

Of course this assumes that the butyl I reuse is clean.
That sounds like the perfect compromise: use the clean, slightly used stuff for the large areas and make sure we use new around the openings and edges.
Old 19-06-2015, 13:12   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think you'll get a longer lasting seal if you use an adhesive sealant. Until recently there wasn't one that would adhere to Starboard. That has changed since Sudbury released their sealant. It adheres to Starboard very well and only needs a clean surface.
Sudbury Elastomeric Sealant
Old 19-06-2015, 14:24   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Ignore the sealant for a moment, starboard has no business being used as a backing plate. Besides being extremely flexible it also compresses and can actually flow under compression loads. I would highly recommend switching to G-10 board or similar.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 14:35   #7

Boat: Orca 38
Bedding the windlass plate

I didn't read it as starboard being used as a backing plate. I thought the windlass was sitting on the starboard, and the starboard was sitting on the deck. In that case his usage of starboard is correct, no?

And yes, butyl rubber can be reused, depending on condition.
Old 19-06-2015, 15:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
I didn't read it as starboard being used as a backing plate. I thought the windlass was sitting on the starboard, and the starboard was sitting on the deck. In that case his usage of starboard is correct, no?
And yes, butyl rubber can be reused, depending on condition.[/QUOTE]

That is correct. The backing plate is a SS plate where the two aft bolts come through into the cabin and a very large SS washer where the fore bolt comes into the anchor locker.

Quote:
And yes, butyl rubber can be reused, depending on condition.
I saved about half of it. It took HOURS to pry the plate off and I am missing a dime sized piece of skin from working with the butyl so long! I honestly sat down to it last night thinking I would just take it off, add some more butyl and reinstall. BWWAAAAHAAAAA. The butyl even ripped up whatever this blue green crap is that the previous owner used to make some repairs around the holes for a previous windlass, so now I have to epoxy those repairs.

Tags
bed, wind, windlass