Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 13:40   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Basic Hand Tools

And may I add a Large Wire Spike, they will do so many different jobs at sea! From spliceing to simple prying! and can make a good hammer sometimes! and makes a good weapon LOL I have so many tools I could never move them in one tool box! so have more then one, each labled for there use, Engine, electrical, ect, and my semi- small sail bag with the stuff to fix sails and rigging! If ya sail offshore theres never enough right tools LOL so ya get what ya need as ya go along! at least thats the way its worked for us !
Old 11-12-2012, 13:41   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

100 lbs of tools? Hah, I wish I could pare it down to even 300 lbs.

Like others, I have several different tool bags/boxes for different purposes. You can never have too many tools on board, unless you are just day sailing in a bay never far from professional help.

The basic tools groups on my boat:

1. Wrenches. I have a big set of sockets and combination wrenches in a plastic briefcase, 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4", regular, deep, impact, ratchet box wrenches, adaptors, extensions, etc., etc. They came from Halford and were actually not all that expensive (a few hundred), and although I am spoiled from having grown up using Snap-On stuff (my dad was a toolophiliac), I am pretty pleased with them.

2. General mechanic's tools. More wrenches, two redundant sets of expensive German screwdrivers plus various odd size ones (jumbo sizes, stubbies, etc.). A set of socket-screwdrivers. Various vice grips, pliers, adjustable wrenches, hammers, mallets, center punches. Several redundant sets of allen wrenches, including some expensive German t-handle ones (my favorites), Torx wrenches, etc. Files, scrapers, awls, inspection mirror, pickup tools, oil filter strap wrench, large 1/2" breaker bar, torque wrench. Set of jeweler's screwdrivers. Pullers of different types. Bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

3. Tool drawer. Bulkier or less often used tools -- hacksaws, vice, clamps, large collection of drill bits and drill attachments, jigsaw blades, set of circlip pliers, etc., etc., etc.,

4. Tool cabinet (in my workshop/passage berth cabin). Power tools of all kinds -- drills (both battery and AC operated), jigsaw, heat gun, orbital polisher, sanders, Dremel tool set with attachments. Several plastic compartment cases with all kinds of miscellaneous small parts, materials, etc. Large collection of nuts, bolts, washers, machine screws, self-tapping screws. Drill bits. Hole saws of different sizes and types. Extension cords. Large collection of cable ties and plastic clamps. Pop riveter and collection of rivets of various sizes.

5. Soldering kit. Electric and gas soldering irons. Solder, flux of various types. Soldering jig. Soldering stone.

6. Electrical kit. A good multimeter (Sinometer with clamp-on AC/DC current) plus backup cheap multimeter. Various crimp tools and crimp terminals. Heat shrink tubing in various sizes. Various German wire strippers and cutters. Bunch of odds and ends of different kinds of cable. Block terminals (extremely handy things) in various sizes. Electrical tape in different colors. Screw-down cable organizers. Spare bulbs and LED units of various types.

7. Plumbing kit. Collection of push-fit connections, T's, end caps. Pipe cutting tool. Large collection of miscellaneous brass and plastic fittings. Pipe wrenches. Teflon tape. Joint compound. Immersion heater wrench. Collection of hoze-lok fittings. Large collection of jubilee clips (hose clamps).

8. Ditty bag. Sailmaker's thread, whipping twine in different sizes and colors, collection of sailmaker's needles, glue, scraps of sailcloth, hot knife. Various knives and marlinspikes. Mousing twine. Monel seizing wire.

9. Propeller service kit. Set of special Brunton tools for pulling the prop, pulling bearings, etc. Special grease fitting. Grease gun. Several spare anodes. Spare grease cap fittings.

10. In less accessible storage: A complete drill press. A pressure washer. Large collection of spare parts.

Rechargeable LED work light, flashlights, and my favorite -- an LED Lenser head torch, which is permanently attached to my forehead when I'm working on the boat

Oh, that's just off the top of my head. And it's never enough
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 13:57   #18

Got a box labelled "electrical", containing :

Good crimper (not a crap one), wire strippers, assortment of crimps, 30ft of 2 core 14 gauge boat cable, multimeter, cable ties, adhesive-lined heatshrink, gas soldering iron, solder, mini gas blowtorch (useful for rigging too), insulation tape, fuses.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:12   #19

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

My favorite tool as a kid, is still my favorite tool on a sailboat. Vicegrips. Pillars, vice, cutters, hammer, all in one. these were once made in a little machine shop in Nebraska. Made a family multimillions
Old 11-12-2012, 14:27   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I will add that it is critical if you use toolchests with gliding drawers aboard a boat that the chest drawers are lockable, or more to the point that you can secure the drawers (with the exception of the one you wish to access, naturally) so that your tools don't take to the air with hard consequences.

The toolchest itself is best clamped or bolted directly into your workbench, if you have the room.

One "tool" not yet mentioned that I use frequently is a Dymo tape printer. Not only can you save time by printing out the contents of each drawer or locker, but you can number every hidey-hole on the boat and list the contents on file or in an annex to the logbook.

The golden road to having a safe, tidy boat is in my mind is cultivating a sort of OCD of organizing spares, tools and provisions.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 15:02   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

A pair of Channellock 480 Bigazz tongue-and-grove pliers are fantastic to have aboard. I believe these are the largest pliers Channellock makes, and they are great for tensioning alternator belts, for plumbing repairs, lining up engine mounts, et cetera.
Old 11-12-2012, 20:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
I was kinda thinking that metric sets would be used more in the international world. But it looks like this thread suggests having both. I just assumed buying parts abroad would be metric. Is it cause most people here buy their equipment state side and its usually SAE?
Jared,
Not to be rude, but what do you know of that's still made in the USA? Even my Onan generator has a Kubota engine!
I'm guessing that SAE will go the way of the gooney bird and Pontiac in the not too distant future.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I will add that it is critical if you use toolchests with gliding drawers aboard a boat that the chest drawers are lockable, or more to the point that you can secure the drawers (with the exception of the one you wish to access, naturally) so that your tools don't take to the air with hard consequences.

The toolchest itself is best clamped or bolted directly into your workbench, if you have the room.

One "tool" not yet mentioned that I use frequently is a Dymo tape printer. Not only can you save time by printing out the contents of each drawer or locker, but you can number every hidey-hole on the boat and list the contents on file or in an annex to the logbook.

The golden road to having a safe, tidy boat is in my mind is cultivating a sort of OCD of organizing spares, tools and provisions.
I use a 1" brother waterproof labelmaker. Works great inside or outside the sailboat. Marked all the standing rigging so there is no guess work as to where stuff goes to in the spring
Old 11-12-2012, 23:22   #24

Oops, dup post
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 00:38   #25

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

four tool boxes, one for plumbing, one electrical, one sailmaking/repair, one general tools. these re filled with a collection of tools all of which have been noted above. I also have a jiffy bag like evans. Mainly because I can grab it make most most emergency repairs without having to dig through the boxes.

I have a set of Dewalt lithium battery rechargeable tools. Heavy duty drill, light duty right angle drill/screw machine, angle cutter/grinder, saber saw. with those I can cut/drill through anything on my boat. a 220V charger and a 12VDC charger. 4 batteries. An LED Flashlight that runs on the same batteries.

The biggest set of bolt cutters I could find

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:56   #26

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I use a 1" brother waterproof labelmaker. Works great inside or outside the sailboat. Marked all the standing rigging so there is no guess work as to where stuff goes to in the spring
I labelled all my shrouds recently when sending it to the riggers for replacement.

After 39 years, and despite looking fine, they are due for replacement.

Yes, I sail in fresh water.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote