Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2012, 17:00   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Barometric Damper on Newport Diesel Heater

Ok so I am getting readt to tackle the very exensive and challanging installation of the Dickinson Newport Diesel heater. The problem is that due to a number of factors I may have to install the unit without the company reccomended barometric damper to optimize draw and prevent backdraft. The installation will have the "H" cap and four feet of flu. Do any of the members have experince with these heaters without the damper installed and the potential pros and cons of this type of install.
Old 08-01-2020, 14:51   #2

Re: Barometric Damper on Newport Diesel Heater

Did you ever complete the installation of the Dickinson Newport on your Westsail? If you did, how has the stove been working without the damper or any issues you'd caution against? I'm dealing with similar circumstances/questions for my own installation. Thanks!
BGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 14:41   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

Heater has been nothing but problems, in retrospect wish I never installed
Old 19-01-2020, 15:30   #4

Boat: Cross 39

I recently installed a Newport and have fired it up a few times for a few hours each time. I have no damper and just under 5’ of pipe with a slight jog. It seems to work well but does take some playing around with the fuel and fan to get a good balance at first. Gusty winds the one time while I was burning and I kept the fan on to keep the flame from pulsing.
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 17:26   #5

I had a Newport Dickenson heater in my old boat, originally without the damper, but later added it. It greatly improved the stability of operation on windy days.

If it is giving someone lots of problems, it is the installation, (or the operation) not the heater itself. They are very simple machines.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 23:23   #6

I have a Newport bulkhead diesel heater with the damper installed. You do have to play around with the fuel amd fan settings in windy conditions. When the wind exceeds 20 knots, proper use of the damper greatly reduces fiddling and nasty backdraft. The backdrafts really do suck.
adhocbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 00:56   #7

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. Had a Newport running nonstop for weeks at a time while building a boat in RI.
H cap. Stainless thick wall. Stainless thin. Copper pipe. Long run and short.
Made a barometric damper which improved everything no matter what pipe length. Would leave the boat with the heater running as I constructed a seperate fuel shut off if the cabin got too hot. I did not trust the provided valve feature.
Used a solid bronze water deck fitting. 1/4 “ cement like heat board and stainless shielding. Tossed the original fan underneath. Heater valve is numbered and must match the diesel. Preheated the stove and pipe with propane torch. Roll a paper joint in diesel to light. Put a tee and plug in the bottom to ease cleaning. Ran it for hundreds of hours. Spoon for cleaning the carbon out then poke out the tee. Often ran with a little lift under the valve screw...about the thickness of a match book cover. Gravity tank, small filter and good size fuel line. Some deck soot but it ran in winter snow storms and gales. Toasty in 31’ insulated glass custom build. Liked the copper pipe above deck but thought about double wall. Almost built a Concordia head in copper but the H head worked fine.
Current boat Webasto air and two Esper hydronics.
Regards, Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 15:12   #8

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. Woke up. Webasto fan / burner surged. Just old ...Died after many good years of flawless running. Needs complete overhaul.
Hydronic system under construction. Have hot water but no matrix boxes yet.
I removed our trusty Newport and put parts ashore. 6 hours later, after two years without running, I reinstalled the Newport, the chimney and the H cap.
Fixed up a temporary fuel tank and sort of cleaned the heater interior parts.
Fired it up after two years. Took a while to remember all the places to clean the fuel flow. Now, on a gravity 5 gallon jug, it’s running perfect. Nice blue flames above the ring. Pilot house getting warm and dry. I will never remove it again.
One needs to re engineer several things to max this heater but it’s so simple.
I’m amazed how easy it was to completely re install it.
No electricity. Simple. It does not heat a 60’ boat but we are toasty tonight with some heat. Please consider the cumulative experience of those who post.
Show me the boats you have built with your own two hands...how long at sea...where? It’s not perfect for all boats, but I’m a warm and happy manatee. Mark the manatee.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, newport