Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2021, 10:13   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: Backing Plates and doublers- Aluminum or Fiberglass?

My 1970 Pearson 26 came with 1/4" backing plate of fiberglass and they were all cracked. I replaced them with 1/2" HDPE. I replaced all the backing plates on my Pearson 36-1 with HDPE.

Also used it under the foredeck to back the windlass and the two large cleats. I was towed up the Rhine river by a freight ship and all my deck fittings held during the long 23 hour tow.

Don't know about creep.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 10:23   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Pole View Post
plywood epoxied all 'round.
Did that 5 years ago based on internet lore.

Doesn’t work AT ALL. Everything that was encapsulated with epoxy falls apart in 5 years or so. Wood is awful.

And... see signature
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 12:49   #33

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
My 1970 Pearson 26 came with 1/4" backing plate of fiberglass and they were all cracked. I replaced them with 1/2" HDPE. I replaced all the backing plates on my Pearson 36-1 with HDPE.

Also used it under the foredeck to back the windlass and the two large cleats. I was towed up the Rhine river by a freight ship and all my deck fittings held during the long 23 hour tow.

Don't know about creep.

I suggest you tighten those nuts with a torque wrench and log it. Go back every 6mo. and re-torque. If you have to physically turn the nut to obtain the same torque as last time, that's no bueno. Loss of preload makes the fastener susceptible to cyclic failure. Maybe not an issue on your windlass, but definitely a concern on mooring cleats... you don't want those breaking off.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 15:44   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
I have used FRP 1/4 and 3/8th sheets as a backing plate, a bit less expensive than G-10 I believe. Hard as a rock. I used a sawzall with a metal blade to cut it. I was able to cut round holes with a regular hole saw for the thru-hulls. https://www.mcmaster.com/fiberglass/...rs-and-strips/
That is what I use. G10 is overkill in my opinion for backing plates.

I have always thought that a backing plate - of whatever material - by itself will only prevent the bolts from pulling through the deck or whatever they are attached to. By using fiberglass and epoxying it to the deck underside it actually strengthens the deck. I always make backing plates large enough to spread the load. Attaching them with thickened epoxy (or vinylester in Chotu's case) also prevents any point loading if the surface is not smooth - it rarely is perfect.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 16:31   #35

+1 for G10. Basically no more worries ever. Backed up mooring cleats and above deck windlass about 7-8 years ago. Still as solid as the day it was installed. No corrosion, no cracks, no compression issues, etc. IMO not an overkill but a long term insurance policy for a few more dollars.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 16:44   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
That is what I use. G10 is overkill in my opinion for backing plates.

I have always thought that a backing plate - of whatever material - by itself will only prevent the bolts from pulling through the deck or whatever they are attached to. By using fiberglass and epoxying it to the deck underside it actually strengthens the deck. I always make backing plates large enough to spread the load. Attaching them with thickened epoxy (or vinylester in Chotu's case) also prevents any point loading if the surface is not smooth - it rarely is perfect.
Exactly how I see it.

Some of these plates will be used as doublers up on the cantilever davits as well.
Old 18-01-2021, 09:14   #37

Ok. Say you're using the off the shelf fiberglass backing plates under a compound curved part of the deck. How do you make the backing plate conform to the curves of the deck/ With a metal backing plate you could maybe pre-bend it into shape or use the bolts to pull it into shape.
lexowgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 09:19   #38

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexowgrant View Post
Ok. Say you're using the off the shelf fiberglass backing plates under a compound curved part of the deck. How do you make the backing plate conform to the curves of the deck/ With a metal backing plate you could maybe pre-bend it into shape or use the bolts to pull it into shape.
Same answer as the previous two posts, bed the backing plate in thickened resin of your choice.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 14:16   #39
Marine Service Provider

Extren is a polyester fiberglass sheet and rated at 30 thousand PSI. It comes in white with a UV inhibitor so will not need painting. It can be drilled and tapped.
Available inexpensively on eBay in any thickness cut to size.
Capt. Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 14:30   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Don View Post
Extren is a polyester fiberglass sheet and rated at 30 thousand PSI. It comes in white with a UV inhibitor so will not need painting. It can be drilled and tapped.
Available inexpensively on eBay in any thickness cut to size.
Extren was used, is already installed and painted black outdoors to go with the theme.

Inside, the hidden plates aren’t painted at all.

I just got a 24x24 sheet and cut my own plates out of that because it was way too hard to specify exact cuts and wait for the lead time.

I tried using a jigsaw at first. The blades don’t last (didn’t have Jedi’s blades on hand).

So I brought out the sawzall and it sliced through like butter. Or maybe like a thanksgiving turkey and an electric carving knife. Ha ha. Perfect cuts. Straight, accurate. Second time I’ve been really surprised what you can do with a sawzall.

Note: my davits are also the same material.
Old 18-01-2021, 14:39   #41

Quote:
You glass it in there if necessary, using a thick resin behind it if you must.

I haven’t had that come up yet. It’s all been flat surface for this stuff.

Compound curves were about finish work inside the boat.
Old 18-01-2021, 15:08   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
As posted above attach the backer to the deck with thickened epoxy. Backing plates should be larger than the item on deck they are for to spread the load. They also should be epoxied to the deck which will make the area stronger. If not all they accomplish really is preventing the bolts from pulling through, not adding strength where needed.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 06:39   #43
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

To add to the above: also avoid stress risers. Use rounded corners instead of sharp 90 degree corners. Also, for high load applications like deck cleats, consider tapering the backing plates around the perimeter.

These simple techniques prevent cracks, even if just in paint or gelcoat, but potentially in the laminate as well.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, backing plates, fiberglass