Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2020, 02:57   #1

B and G depth transducer mechanical failure

2 years ago I fitted a B&G forward looking sonar. The transducer installs into a housing, with o-rings and a screw-down locking nut, similar to many speed logs. It also comes with a blank which you can fit instead of the transducer. Yesterday I was sailing in very rough seas with the blank installed, and it came out (i.e. it was pushed back into the boat) due to the water pressure when slamming in waves. How can this have happened? There is no obvious damage, and I am 99% certain I screwed the lock nut down. Having reinserted the blank there has been no further ingress of water for 24 hrs with the boat in the pen. Has anyone else experienced this? We ended up with 300 litres of water in the bilge before we discovered the source. I do not want it to happen again! Boat is being hauled out tomorrow so there is a good opportunity to inspect, but what should I be looking for?
Kim Klaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 04:25   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: B and G depth transducer mechanical failure

Well if it is anything like this blank then I don't know how it could be forced back into the boat. Is it the correct size. Alternatively is the hole in the boat the right size.

I think I'd be making up another out of a SS through hull fitting but blanked off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-01-19 B G DT800 Plastic Depth Temp Transducer.png
Views:	79
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	207203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-01-19 ForwardScan Sleeve And Plug - No Transducer Accessory B G Sailing USA.png
Views:	62
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	207204  

coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 04:30   #3

Boat: Adams 45
Re: B and G depth transducer mechanical failure

My Garmin transducer has an ear on the locknut with a hole for mousing wire, recommended to keep the locknut from possibly unscrewing.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, depth, mechanic