Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2022, 16:57   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
Awlwood Application-Brush, Roller or?

I've been applying awlwood and wonder what others have used to apply the build and finish coat. Primer is on and sanded to at least 220 if not 320. This is for exterior work. So far I have used foam brushes and synthetic bristle brushes. Foam seems to give the most uniform coat, but its a little thin. The synthetic brushes seem to allow puddling. I've toyed with rolling and tipping. Short of spraying, what are the best applicators. Any particular brushes that give exceptional results?
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 17:29   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Awlwood Application-Brush, Roller or?

We had good results with Awlgrip on our deck using short-nap felt rollers. They held up for an entire day- perhaps 6 or 8 batches - without disintegrating. Tipping after rolling with something like that might provide the finish you seek with Awlwood. What does the manufacturer suggest?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to the Alwood Product Data Sheet:

“Tipping with a brush gives best results if rolling, particularly if the previous coat is “green”.
If brushing, synthetic bristled brushes with tapered bristles without flagged or split ends are best, the latter tend to shed excessively.”

“Final Coat Application
The final coat should be applied in a single application after fine sanding.
Brushing or rolling, better flow levelling will be attained on a well cured substrate. For best results, the final coat should be applied in optimal conditions: out of direct sunlight and in minimal wind. Early in the day is best. Reduce the final coat of Awlwood 10% by volume. Apply the final coat removing any heavy sags or runs but do not overwork the product. Once a non-running film is achieved allow Awlwood to cure and flow on its own – DO NOT CONTINUE TO BRUSH to remove brush marks etc. Awlwood Clear Gloss is designed to flow and level without the need for over-working the product.”

Instructions ➥ https://specialtycoatings.brand.akzo...4_20191108.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:54   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 47

We had good results with foam brushes. Since we put on 8 coats as recommended it didn't 't seem like the thickness of any one coat would make much difference. It has held up well for over 3 years (4 in some places).
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 17:57   #5

Boat: Pearson 365

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. so far I have used a synthetic brush, foam brushes, and rolled and tipped with a foam brush. Multiple thin coats with foam seems to be giving the best results so far...Results have been inconsistent-thinning definitely improves flow on the final coat.
Jim
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 13:14   #6

Boat: Herreschoff 52'

I’ve run out of brushing reducer
Is there an alternative thinner that I can use !
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 21:03   #7

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I have four full-sized gates going into my backyard (each gate is 3’ wide by 6’6’ high), all made of cedar. I sprayed Awlwood using an HVLP gun with a 2.5mm nozzle, reducing the Awlwood by 30% and applying 8 coats. The gates still look great even though they get a tremendous amount of direct sunlight four years later.

However, for the teak cap rail and hatch frames on my boat, I use Epifanes.

Fair winds and calm seas.

Sorry, apparently Cruiser’s Forum can only post photos in landscape orientation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1701.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	280134  
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 21:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I used foam brushes. I didn't sand between coats, only before the last coat. Seems to work fabulously. Our boathook has had Awlwood for over 5 years, and it's just starting to fail. And it rolls around on our deck, with a non-skid finish. Amazing product.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 21:50   #9

Utilizing disposable foam brushes was deemed more cost-effective for this specific application. The choice of method ultimately hinges on personal preference, experience, and the nuances of the task at hand, such as the size of the area to be varnished and the environmental conditions. Cost efficiency remains paramount: for smaller jobs, opting for disposable foam brushes is advisable, whereas for larger areas, employing techniques like spraying or using a roller and tip, coupled with brush may be more practical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231030_204555.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	288341   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231030_205723.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	288342  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tech_Bulletin_Awlwood_Appliction_PROCESS_2021.pdf (605.5 KB, 3 views)

Tags
wood