Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2014, 13:34   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
AtlanticTower tower in a box

Hey y'all, anyone have any experience with Atlantic Tower tower in a box. Gonna need something for the dingy and some solar. They seem to be pretty affordable and easy to mount. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading
Will
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 15:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: AtlanticTower tower in a box

Bump,
I almost went that route, but then decided not to, but I did get a good review or two here, maybe the bump will help
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 16:32   #3

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Hey y'all, anyone have any experience with Atlantic Tower tower in a box. Gonna need something for the dingy and some solar. They seem to be pretty affordable and easy to mount. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading
Will
I do not know what "Atlantic Tower tower in a box" means but my Atlantic tower solar panel/radar arch came in a big box 15 years ago and has worked flawlessly ever since.

My arch was custom made for our Caliber 40 but it was the fourth one they had made for the Caliber. I used a 26' Penske straight truck with a hydraulic tail gate lift to pick up the arch at a freight forwarding warehouse. I installed the arch all by myself so it can't be all that heavy.

The arch comes with each of the four legs about 18" longer than needed. We had to figure out what angles we wanted and then cut the legs to fit. I mounted the arch, and four big solar panels, on the boat WITHOUT my wifes input or direction. A week later she and her best friend came down to the boat and absolutely HATED the way the arch was mounted. I had mounted it with the front legs vertical and the back legs swept forward.

She and Denny wanted the front legs swept backward (about 10 degrees) and the back leg vertical.

Those were easy changes to make because the each of the four feet that are through bolted to the deck could stay in place. Each leg is mounted to it's foot with three bolts that thread into the foot which is made of solid aluminum.

I just had to trim enough off the front two legs to get the correct aftward rake.

I have removed the arch an additional two times and then remounted it.

The arch has been on our Caliber 40 during two trips from Seattle to San Diego, a trip from San Diego south to Zihuatenejo and back to the north end of the Sea of Cortez.

We have been at sea in 50 knots and 12' seas and have seen no strain or damage to the arch or panels.

I built a crane off the arch that uses a 4:1 block and tackle for hoisting outboards, batteries, and other heavy stuff.

We mount two big Lewmar blocks on the bottom of the and run the dinghy towing lines thru them and then down to the aft docking cleats.

I can't see how and arch could be any better than our Atlantic Towers.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 16:36   #4

Boat: center console

I purchased the TIB 3 yrs ago for my Gemini cat, exactly for the reasons you describe, & believe it is an excellent value. I bought the base model, cut it to be narrower and shorter and used the excess leg cutoffs for davitarms, bolted to the uprights, added crossbars and fifertex for a sling seat across the transom. Also fabbed a 1" tube across the top for a solar panel. Very strong & light. Works for me..
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 17:56   #5

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
I purchased the TIB 3 yrs ago for my Gemini cat, exactly for the reasons you describe, & believe it is an excellent value. I bought the base model, cut it to be narrower and shorter and used the excess leg cutoffs for davitarms, bolted to the uprights, added crossbars and fifertex for a sling seat across the transom. Also fabbed a 1" tube across the top for a solar panel. Very strong & light. Works for me..

Ditto for us. We have purchased two one for our 30 foot mono and one for our cat. Great value but be prepared to work a little to get it placed right on the boat.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 18:01   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Did any of you guys price out having a custom one made? Florida seems to have people on ever dock that builds them for all the fishing boats. Just curious what the cost difference is.

Matt