Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2015, 14:11   #1

Artificial flooring (vinyl?)

Hi,

some time ago I read about some alternative to replace wooden flooring, think it was a thin (3mm / 1/8") vinyl or so, looked great with a lot of variety 'of wood structures' available.

Can someone point me to a source in the US?

Thanks,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 14:35   #2

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: Artificial flooring (vinyl?)

Search for resilient vinyl plank/strip flooring if you want the stuff that goes in your house (which would work fine for a boat too, IMHO)..

Far less helpful: There's a vendor that sells it in teak and holly for marine applications. Don't recall the link/name. Do recall it was $$$.

Me? I'm thinking of using the stuff for your house in the boat. Lotsa folks have used it in RVs - seems like it would be fine.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 14:35   #3

... maybe it was LONSEAL Flooring :: Ph 800.832.7111 :: Lonseal leads the vinyl surfacing industry with innovative and exciting resilient flooring. what I was locking for but if you bought some lately somewhere else and were impressed by the quality let me have the brand ;-)

Thanks,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 07:54   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I looked at Lonseal too, and it seems like a great option. I was concerned about using sheet vinyl products because I have a big pair of hatches in the middle of the sole, and the edges had to be dealt with somehow.

In the end, I went to Lowes and bought vinyl "planks" (3' x 4"). I just finished the saloon sole last weekend, and it looks great!

Before buying, I tested every vinyl product in both Lowe's and Home Depot by scratching a sample aggressively with a set of keys. Only the planks at Lowe's passed the test. My wife took a sharp metal scraper to one of the scraps while we were installing them, and was amazed how hard it was to scratch.

For the record, I needed thin flooring for this application, so vinyl was the only answer. I've heard good things about cork and bamboo, but I couldn't go there this time.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring