Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 20:38   #31
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Are These teak Decks not Worth Fixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw1961 View Post
What is TDS?

Teak Decking Systems. Cheaper by the case.

Teak Decking Systems Caulk
Attached Images

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 21:00   #32

Boat: Nautor Swan57rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
I recently acquired a 1986 Beneteau that has teak decking in the cockpit and bridge deck and am looking for -experienced- opinions. For those not familiar with these boats, the decks are cored fiberglass and the teak is roughly 1/4" strips that were screwed into the fiberglass, plugged and bedded in some sort of caulking. A lot of plugs and caulking is missing and I'm not sure there's enough wood left to do a proper re-plugging job. I'm attaching a photo of the bridge deck to give you an idea of how bad they look. I'm inclined to rip them up and replace with something other than wood (foam non-skid or faux teak are at the top of my list). I'm not a big fan of teak decks or the maintenance required to maintain them, but I won't rip them off if they could be restored with a minimum amount of work and money. Before I give them the ol' heave-ho, thought I'd get a second opinion.

Thanks.
I had my teak decking replaced (47.7 First) around 12 months ago and result is awesome for approx $20k
sepeteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 21:47   #33

Thanks minaret. Appreciate it.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 22:27   #34

Boat: Lagoon 42
Before you start this make sure you have enough teak thickness left for there to be a groove to fill!

I had an entire teak deck on my 1980 Hallberg Rassy and in the end the teak itself looked great but the wood was so thin there was no room for new screws (you can get around this with epoxy) and and not enough groove for the sikaflex. The caulking became impossible.

It's a lot of backache and man hours so make sure!
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 00:01   #35

Boat: Riviera 33'
Re: Are these teak decks not worth fixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
we rebuilt last year all the teak in a beneteau 50. and the result is very good, your teak looks good, what we do is to remove the screws , fill the holes with epoxy , clean and sand the teak , remove old caulking in the cockpit and stern areas , we wet out a couple of West epoxy coating in both sides , the teak and the deck, mix some west with silica and glue the teak in the surface , no screws, later recaulking again the gaps and done, i will say is a 3 or 4 days job, Some epoxy, caulking tube,
Did you not check out the core for moisture?

If the plugs are missing then it's surely likely that the screws have expanded/contracted in the heat, providing nice access to the core for water. I'd want to be sure there isn't a load of core rot/delamination in my future if I was looking to re-do that deck.

Pretty much the reason that nobody screws teak decks down these days.
Old 21-06-2013, 07:53   #36

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

I cleaned out the caulking on the bridge deck to see just what I have to work with here (see attached photos). I'm not sure if you can see it or not, but the groove to hold the wide bead of caulking is VERY shallow. Maybe 2mm deep at the most and in places non-existent. Because the the small size of the areas I'm working on and the close proximity of bulkheads everywhere, a router just would not work here. So I'm really concerned if I will be able to widen/deepen the groove without making a total mess of things.

Which got me to wonder, what other options (besides filling the groove with a bead of caulk) do I have? Is there anything I can pour in the groove to penetrate the thin gap and then ignore the shallow groove (or maybe sand it flush)?

Any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0256.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	62968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0258.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	62969  

prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 08:40   #37

Juxst fill it up with the caulking gun and sand it off. Looks like it's primarily aesthetic... those are kinda like V grooves? Looks like your job got easy!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 10:15   #38

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

The TDS will penetrate the teak a bit and be difficult to sand off without removing more wood than you probably want to remove.

Carefully tape the edges, overfill with TDS, then one pass with a putty knife pressed fairly hard to smooth the seam. Caulk one seam at a time. Takes a few seams to learn the right putty knife pressure. Pull the tape when the TDS is cured.

I have done a LOT of work on my V42 teak decks. I tried the Fein tool blade and didn't like it. It still required a lot of hand cleanup. My favorite was a ground to size file tang bent at close to a 90 degree angle. I would cut the seam edges with a sheet rock knife and then clean the bottom and edges with the bent file.

You've cleaned your seams already so the above is just informational.

John
Old 21-06-2013, 10:47   #39

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Unfortunately I don't think taping and laying a bead of caulking will last very long, there just isn't enough of a groove for the caulking to go into. The grooves between the planks look something like the attached sketch (highly simplified cross section of the teak planks, the groove between them and a fiberglass deck below it). There's a wider groove at the top that is meant for the caulking bead. The problem is that the wider groove varies from maybe 2 mm deep to flush with the deck, the boat was built almost 30 years ago as the deck wore the grooves became shallower. That appears to have been the reason why previous re-caulking has failed, there just isn't a groove deep enough to hold any caulking (in places) and there just isn't any way to get an electric router to cut a new groove. My fear is that cutting it with hand tools will result in an ugly, uneven bead. Thus I'm wondering if I forego the caulking entirely what my other options might be. Surely some water will get between the planks (as has been the case already and likely been so for years). So what can I do to minimize this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teak grooves.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	62986  
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 13:23   #40
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rabbet plane for the edges, chisel for the corners. Often you can carefully remove the whole piece with a small pad like that, route the grooves, grind the bottom side clean, epoxy back in place, bung and fill seams, sand to finish. Sharp putty knife and anti bond.

Old 21-06-2013, 14:23   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Sure, in fact one of the guys in the yard just did a deck this way. He and the owner were pretty happy with the results till I showed up and freaked out on the wobbles in the seams. Guess it just depends on who you are and what your tolerances are like, one guys nice job is another's unacceptable finish. Personally I need to see seams which are exactly the same width all the way and dead fair. Only one way I know of to do that. But even then you end up using the Fein some in corners and edges. This is one of the reasons I finish by sanding, it's like sticking a longboard in the seam. To each their own. Sometimes having "the eye" is a curse as much as a blessing. The router really is much faster too, as well as doing a better job. Porter Cable laminate trimmer for me. TDS only too, it sticks like peanut butter on shag carpet. Best thing going for teak.
Clearly, if I ever need to do this to my own boat, I would be better advised to hire Minaret, and pay him any amount of money, than try to do it myself.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 14:27   #42
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Clearly, if I ever need to do this to my own boat, I would be better advised to hire Minaret, and pay him any amount of money, than try to do it myself.

Lol! Only if you can tell the difference between my work and yours. Some people just don't care enough to reach for perfection. Some do. And all shades in between too...

Old 29-09-2013, 05:28   #43

I was recently introduced to another option by a teak deck fan. Namely cork strips laid to look just like a teak deck. The new decking is delivered in a mat like form, so it is quick to lay. I put a new teak deck on my HR 352 in 2009 which cost me €20,000. I am told this cork alternative costs about 50% of a new teak deck. So you might get your's done for in and around €10,000.

If you were considering to give your existing deck a life extension re caulking is very very easy to do. Terrifying if you have never tried, but as inch and fast if you have hind-sight. If you go for this option do not sand or scrub your deck before hand. But do give it a Boracol 5R or similar treatment. Boracol is a fungiside (borax).
Roro is offline   Reply With Quote