Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 09:16   #61

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat
Re: Are more expensive epoxies better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
It is expensive, but is it worth it?
No, it's not worth it, any more than a bolt from Evinrude is worth 5 times as much as the same bolt from a good hardware supplier. Having bought epoxy from well-known aviation and marine suppliers over the years, for the last couple decades I have used only Raka products. High quality, consistent, and unusually good customer service.

Raka, Mas, West, System Three, Total... Etc all buy from the big chemical companies and repackage into smaller quantities.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 11:26   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
I'd like to hear from others about their experiences with different brands of epoxy. It seems that West Systems is the default for marine builds and repairs. It is expensive, but is it worth it?

There are many companies out there that just repackage epoxy from the big three. So who has the best epoxy at the lowest price?

Have you ever bought an off brand and wish you hadn't?
For everything I use US Compsites 635 THIN resin.

Epoxy :Â*Epoxy Resins and Hardeners

Excellent wet out, great strength, no blush so no cleaning and sanding between layers. They also have excellent fillers and reinforcements. Lower costs than most.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 14:17   #63

Boat: Cape Dory 36

I'm not a big epoxy user and I am surely not a professional. I prefer the easy mix ratios like 1:1 or 2:1. I have not been impressed with the West System pumps. They may be fine for larger quantities but for small amounts (like 1 pump each) I don't think they are very accurate and they leak and make a big mess. So I have been happy using System 3 for the past few years.
bottomscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 15:22   #64
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I like West systems pumps. I check the accuracy from time to time and are always spot on. If there is an air pocket you have to do micro strokes until the liquid starts to flow.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 15:36   #65

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fry View Post
No, it's not worth it, any more than a bolt from Evinrude is worth 5 times as much as the same bolt from a good hardware supplier. Having bought epoxy from well-known aviation and marine suppliers over the years, for the last couple decades I have used only Raka products. High quality, consistent, and unusually good customer service.

Raka, Mas, West, System Three, Total... Etc all buy from the big chemical companies and repackage into smaller quantities.
This guy knows what he’s talking about. This is exactly how it works.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 16:01   #66
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I thought that Raka, Mas, West, System Three, and Totalboat were the expensive ones. I guess that if you build airplanes that there are brands that cost much more. E-bond is about $40. a gallon from Merritsupply. That is what I used. I did notice some color difference in batches of hardener, I called the manufacturer, they said that it was normal (there was a greenish tinge)
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 14:13   #67

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

We got MAS with our CLC kit and love it. Alcohol clean up is cheap and easy. We use it on our "big" boat for repairs, too.

I can't say the epoxy is good/better/lousy, whatever but I do say the clean up is super convenient!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 16:05   #68

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Cleanup with West Systems can be done, for a greater part, with vinegar. You don't get much cheaper than that!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 10:03   #69

Boat: G-Cat 5.7 - soon a full time cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
I was told by a dealer, Gudgeon Bros (West System) are the main researchers with epoxies. Most others are licensed compositions from them.
That's ridiculous. Gudgeon Brothers buys their epoxy from Dow. The majority of research on epoxy and epoxy coatings are done in the Universities. West System epoxy is old school Diglycidyl Ether Bis A resin and TETA/Polyethylenepolyamine based curative. This tech has been around for decades.
mgriff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 11:26   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

WEST certainly has done a lot of marine specific research and experimentation. Certainly more and to a higher standard than other marine epoxy companies. You can use their resin with just about any other companies hardener I have found.

And I would say vinegar sorta cleans up epoxy. You can keep your brushes in it, but need to clean the brush in alcohol or mineral spirits before using again. It’s pretty much impossible to clean a brush fully for reuse with just vinegar. I built my 34’ Cat using probably a 1/2 dozen brushes.
Old 26-02-2021, 12:22   #71

Boat: SS34

I'm laminating a deck at the moment with a locally made epoxy bought off eBay. For clean up I use methylated spirits. Cleans the brushes well and I soak them between use. The secret is to drill a hole in the handle and support the brush so the bristles are well clear of the bottom and change the metho after about 5 or 6 sessions.
I had a friend drop by yesterday while I was working. He built a catamaran with West systems epoxy and reckons he would never go near it again. Bloom drove him crazy.

The deck is on a plywood flush decked SS34.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 12:30   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriff2 View Post
That's ridiculous. Gudgeon Brothers buys their epoxy from Dow. The majority of research on epoxy and epoxy coatings are done in the Universities. West System epoxy is old school Diglycidyl Ether Bis A resin and TETA/Polyethylenepolyamine based curative. This tech has been around for decades.
First, Dow epoxies were merged into the Olin Chemicals business in 2015 so no longer Dow.

Also, Olin as well as Hexion (who bought the old Shell Epon line) and others make a very wide range of epoxies. The bog standard, unadorned basic eposy is the DER 331 or Epon 828. The research and value added by the epoxy companies like West, Maas, etc is in the formulation, the additives and modifications they make to the basic epoxy.

Can't say how much research the Gougeon brothers have done specifically compared to anyone else but I do know they have been working on technology and techniques for many years.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 12:32   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriff2 View Post
The information that I have is that Gudgeon Bros are mostly an R&D company. Almost all others are manufacturers of their products.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 12:36   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
The information that I have is that Gudgeon Bros are mostly an R&D company. Almost all others are manufacturers of their products.
All of these companies could be more correctly called formulators since, to the best of my knowledge, the basic epoxy is actually produced by the big guys like Olin (formerly Dow), Hexion (formerly Shell), Nanya division of Formosa plastics, etc. then West, etc buy the basic stuff and either package as is or mix it with various additives.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 17:45   #75

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:

It’s ‘Gougeon’. And the rest is probably wrong too. [emoji106]
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote