Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 07:27   #31

Re: Are holding plates "old" technology?

I have only experience to share about an engine drive with a ss holding "plate". I find this works well and does not consume amps... though chilling is only talking place when the engine is running. However, running the engine ALSO creates hot water and recharging of the batts, powers the windlass and the boat when not sailing. I find the system works well. I installed it from parts... not easy... but with the right tools and patience.. doable. We don't stay on docks with shore power so the engine drive refer w/ holding plate seems the way to go. The plate is a freezer one enabling the box to be brought down very cold if we want.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:46   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
No reason not to run a Cool Blue style or a larger compressor system with solar and wind but you need more than a couple of group 31 batteries to do it.

Its 15 years old now. The small Danfoss compressors were not a consideration those days and probably not today for my box sizes.
What size are your boxes we are running the cool blue stock system with 3 cf freezer. And 7 + cf spill down fridge on a single stock holding plate on two golf cart batteries and 200 watts solar never had any problems and the cubigel compressor uses less power than the Chinese made Dan Foss compressor of the same size.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:04   #33

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The main problem with a sole engine driven compressor on a cruising boat is that one can never leave the boat. Even a long day out away from the boat can start a thaw cycle - particularly if the box is not exceptionally insulated, and particularly for a freezer.

We had an AC-powered system, which is conceptually the same as an engine-driven on in this regard. We found it a huge pain even when weekend sailing because we would have to load/unload the entire freezer/reefer and pull it down every time we wanted to use the boat. Installing a DC system that allowed us to leave the boat and keep the reefer/freezer operating was such a better way.

Nobody expects to have to empty their house fridge and freezer and give away the food whenever they go someplace for a couple of days - and then rebuy and restock when they return.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:05   #34

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
What size are your boxes we are running the cool blue stock system with 3 cf freezer. And 7 + cf spill down fridge on a single stock holding plate on two golf cart batteries and 200 watts solar never had any problems and the cubigel compressor uses less power than the Chinese made Dan Foss compressor of the same size.
My reefer is a nice easily measured rectangular 5.8cf. The freezer is completely irregular but easily close to the same size. The freezer plates are 0F degree plates. The reefer has 27F degree plates. The freezer is the big consumer.

Edit: I might add that I'm in Florida and the Bahamas. A bit warmer than the NW.